What's new

Modem Trouble - PCtel HSP56 MR on WinMe

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
I recently got a PCtel HSP56 MR (Model: FB PCTEL AMR) and my Windows ME machine dosen't detect it automatically. I've manually installed it but it dosen't work. I have it set to "use" COM1. It is an internal / AMR (Audio Modem Riser) modem.

Any ideas? I've tried updating the drivers, and am re-downloading them to try again. Is there any more information I can provide to narrow down the problem.

Siggie

AMR modems are softmodems. You don't install them by assigning a comport to them. It justs needs the suitable driver and it'll set things up itself. But you don't have any more information bout this modem? FCC id maybe.
Finding a working driver for an unknown is pure hell.

Dabba_Deh

The Sultan
I have the same modem (AMR too) as you, but on 98SE. It works VERY well. If you can find the same modem in PCI, get it. It's a good one.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
you can go to any computer store and pick up a PCI software (WinModem) for around $35CND (~$25USD). You can get a hardware modem (on you set the COM ports and IRQ address) for like $5-10 more, personally I like hardware modems better, but WinModems are simpler and recomended for newbies.

Dabba_Deh

The Sultan
About a year ago, Radio Shack had a sale....56kPCI modem, $9.99 CDN. And, sometimes, you should look for used PC products.They are usually cheaper.

OP
EdgeBlade

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
Cool, thanks. For the moment Internet Connection Sharing on the upstairs XP machine is kinda working for me. Just a pain to go upstairs to connect is all.