What's new

Microsofts latest security fix to IE...

OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Well, it's not a harmful link, just a slashdot article about microsofts crappy knowledge base :p

Clements

I still use IE! :p Can't be arsed to change for the sake of seeing PNGs correctly, and I now have a Ad/Pop-up stopper integrated into it (Norton Internet Security 2004 installs it) that never fails. No need to change for me. My firewall stops any half-arsed hacking attempts as well, so I'm fairly safe.

CpU MasteR

omg h4x
You people and your third party browsers.
I have a suggestion that's not in the Knowledge Base: don't use IE!
Fuck slashdot, it's news for people who like to whine and bitch.

I am happy with IE, I don't need to be pampered by some other spyware infested browser

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
CpU MasteR said:

I am happy with IE, I don't need to be pampered by some other spyware infested browser

You have a better change of getting spyware through IE then with Mozilla.

With IE you can integrate anything you want into the browser (like spyware bars) where as with Mozilla you need a module, which you must choose to install, and you can remove easily.

When MS comes out with its XP-SP2 I'm hoping IE will get an upgrade to support the W3C standards and tighten up on security.

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
Hexidecimal said:
I removed IE about a month ago, *pats MyIE2* it is NOT the same thing damn it :p

Yes it is, dammit! :crazy:

CpU MasteR said:

As stated, you are far less likely to get spyware with Firebird or Opera than with IE.

Malcolm said:
When MS comes out with its XP-SP2 I'm hoping IE will get an upgrade to support the W3C standards and tighten up on security.

It won't. :( No rendering engine updates until when (if) Longhorn comes out.

Anyway, it's gotten to the point where I absolutely can't stand IE any more... I always install Firebird on people's computer when I'm using them. :p

OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
CpU MasteR said:

That is a contradiction, as IE is the spyware infested browser. I don't think opera has any, nor is exploited by spyware companies on a regular basis. I know for a fact that mozilla doesn't, and when exploits hit mozilla, it will be fixed within a matter of hours of public knowledge, whereas with internet explorer it's a matter of months.

The Khan Artist said:
Anyway, it's gotten to the point where I absolutely can't stand IE any more... I always install Firebird on people's computer when I'm using them. :p

You can say that again. Anytime somebody wants me to work on their computer, the first thing I do is download firebird, extract it, and run it. Takes me the greater half of 10 seconds to do so. I tell them about it, most of the time they insist on IE, which is fine with me, because I simply delete the folder when I am done with it and its gone.

Course I get a call from them a day later asking how come internet explorer goes to some annoying portal site everytime they open it, and they can't permanently change the homepage setting. I tell them two things: "run spybot S&D and hijackthis, and be very careful about which websites you merely visit, because they will just hijack your start page again, and theres not a thing you can do to stop it." and then I tell them "this is one of many reasons that I use mozilla"

Last edited:

CpU MasteR

omg h4x
AlphaWolf said:
That is a contradiction, as IE is the spyware infested browser. I don't think opera has any, nor is exploited by spyware companies on a regular basis. I know for a fact that mozilla doesn't, and when exploits hit mozilla, it will be fixed within a matter of hours of public knowledge, whereas with internet explorer it's a matter of months.
I am just going to say this; you can install all the programs you want, the only way to avoid spyware is for the user to be cautious. Not to put all your trust on software and trust me, I don't go around looking for something to be infected with so why bother to use a third party browser?

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
I don't go around flaunting myself and saying "Ha! Do your best to infect me! Oh, but don't aim for this hole in my armor above my right breast!". I quietly put on my armor.

OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
CpU MasteR said:
I am just going to say this; you can install all the programs you want,

And doing so is just begging for spyware.

CpU MasteR said:
the only way to avoid spyware is for the user to be cautious.

By not just installing all the programs you want.

CpU MasteR said:
Not to put all your trust on software and trust me, I don't go around looking for something to be infected

You don't even have to go looking. Did you go looking for a cold virus the last time you found one? It certainly didn't come looking for you, yet sure enough you got infected. (for those who don't know much biology, a virus does not move on its own, it relies on you to find it before it can do anything)

CpU MasteR said:
with so why bother to use a third party browser?

Because using IE is like fucking a two dollar hooker without a condom :)

Last edited:

CpU MasteR

omg h4x
*sigh* God, when will you stop? :doh:
AlphaWolf said:
And doing so is just begging for spyware.
I am able to fix anything that happends to my computer
AlphaWolf said:
By not just installing all the programs you want.
Yet again, you want me to say that I download everything that pops up on my screen
AlphaWolf said:
You don't even have to go looking. Did you go looking for a cold virus the last time you found one? It certainly didn't come looking for you, yet sure enough you got infected. (for those who don't know much biology, a virus does not move on its own, it relies on you to find it before it can do anything)
and when I did get a virus, I don't blame any software thats for sure. Unlike some people who blame software for their mistakes. :getlost:
AlphaWolf said:
Because using IE is like fucking a two dollar hooker without a condom :)
Even if you are wearing the condom (In this case software,) there is a way to break it. There always won't be a program to be saving you at any given time. So I don't rely on a program because what if that program will fail on me?

Face it Alpha, you can post all you want. Let me get infected and move on from this pointless argument.

OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
CpU MasteR said:
*sigh* God, when will you stop? :doh:
Never :p

CpU MasteR said:
I am able to fix anything that happends to my computer

It's your time to waste, so do what you want I suppose...

CpU MasteR said:
Yet again, you want me to say that I download everything that pops up on my screen

Well, you don't necessarily have to download anything that pops up on your screen to get hit.

CpU MasteR said:
and when I did get a virus, I don't blame any software thats for sure. Unlike some people who blame software for their mistakes. :getlost:

You can blame software for not being patched after an exploit has been known for months, and your only mistake was clicking the wrong URL.

CpU MasteR said:
Even if you are wearing the condom (In this case software,) there is a way to break it. There always won't be a program to be saving you at any given time. So I don't rely on a program because what if that program will fail on me?

In the case of internet explorer, you already know that the condom has a gaping hole in it, yet you use it anyways! :happy:

CpU MasteR said:
Face it Alpha, you can post all you want. Let me get infected and move on from this pointless argument.

Hey now, I didn't challenge you, you challenged me :p But you can do what you wanna do, and I didn't say otherwise.