What's new

Meesa goesa nowsa

Slougi

[/jar jar]
Well yeah, I'll be away for 6 months starting tomorrow. Fucking mandatory army bullshit.

:yucky:

Clements

Nothing sucks more than being forced into giving up 6 months of your life doing something that you obviously don't want to do, giving up your own personal liberties. The army is clearly not for everyone. That's why compulsory National Service has not been done over here for many decades.

OP
S

Slougi

Well, the other option is civil service. That is 13 months.

I'd rather not do either...

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Clements said:
Nothing sucks more than being forced into giving up 6 months of your life doing something that you obviously don't want to do, giving up your own personal liberties.
How about three years of the same medicine?
Sergeant (soon to be First Sergeant) DuDe reporting for duty. :term:

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
ScottJC said:
Mandatory army enlisting? remind me not to go to finland.

Unfortunately, even in good ol' USA, there's some mandatory army enlistings!!!

Last edited:

Eagle

aka Alshain
vampireuk said:
The draft does not exist in the US

Yes it does, we just havn't had the need to reinstate it in a very long time because we have enough recruits. Legally, the president and congress may choose to reinstate the draft. There was a bill to reinstate it in 2004 but it was defeated with only two members of the house voting for it. The draft has not been reinstated since it was last ended in 1973 when the US withdrew from the Vietnam war. I'm registered with selective services, and until next february, I am able to be drafted. Although, according to the doctrine that the Selective Services follows, people age 20 are the first to be drafted, then 21, 22, to 25. 18 and 19 are only drafted when there is no other choice. So if the draft was reinstated now, by the time they got to me I would be 26.

Last edited:

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
RJARRRPCGP said:
Unfortunately, even in good ol' USA, there's some mandatory army enlistings!!!

That is a total crock. It has been 30 years since that has happened to anybody in the US.

Eagle said:
Yes it does, we just havn't had the need to reinstate it in a very long time because we have enough recruits.

That is only selective service, which has always been a possibility as per the framework laid out in the US constitution (and made into an actual law in 1917, and has since seen revisions.) 19 democrats (and not a single republican mind you) in washington tried to initiate a draft in 04, but the majority ruled that we don't currently need one.

EDIT: On that note, a little trivia for ya: the last 4 drafts in the US were initiated by a democrat (dominated) house, senate, and president. :D

Last edited:

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
Eagle said:
Yes it does, we just havn't had the need to reinstate it in a very long time because we have enough recruits. Legally, the president and congress may choose to reinstate the draft. There was a bill to reinstate it in 2004 but it was defeated with only two members of the house voting for it. The draft has not been reinstated since it was last ended in 1973 when the US withdrew from the Vietnam war. I'm registered with selective services, and until next february, I am able to be drafted. Although, according to the doctrine that the Selective Services follows, people age 20 are the first to be drafted, then 21, 22, to 25. 18 and 19 are only drafted when there is no other choice. So if the draft was reinstated now, by the time they got to me I would be 26.

The draft can exist, at the moment it does not as it has not been instituted, nice attempt at arguing for the sake or arguing though. By the way you know it was the Dems who supported the draft bill and not those evil Republicans? :icecream:

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
Slougi said:
[/jar jar]
Well yeah, I'll be away for 6 months starting tomorrow. Fucking mandatory army bullshit.

:yucky:
LMAO going again? :plain: when the hell did you come back again :p

Eagle

aka Alshain
vampireuk said:
The draft can exist, at the moment it does not as it has not been instituted, nice attempt at arguing for the sake or arguing though. By the way you know it was the Dems who supported the draft bill and not those evil Republicans? :icecream:

1. Wasn't arguing, merely educating.
2. Your definition of "exists" is different than mine. I see a difference between "exists" and "active" as some countries dont have the provisions for a draft (or for that matter an army) which means it doesn't exist.
3. Yes I realize Democrats supported the draft bill, and I support the draft when its needed to defend our country. Thankfully, it hasn't been needed since I was born. As for those democrats who felt it was needed in 2004, well I dont always agree with every democrat out there. I'd be worried if you agreed with every Republican out there.

Last edited: