What's new

Making N64 roms

Status
Not open for further replies.
First help this problem out of the world: No I'm not asking how to create/rip roms from N64-cartdriges.

My questions:

1) How to create a demo-rom?
2) Is it possible to remove/add things to roms (like textures or sounds and if possible remove levels).
3) If it's possible to remove levels, why not create a demo of a few roms (like a mission of perfect dark and 2 combat simulator levels). If the people test this roms they can see if it works good and see if it's worth to downl.... ehrm, purchase the game.:satisfied

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
I'm also curious, how soon will it be plausible to make involved N64 hacks? Like an OoT remake, like they do with all the old Zelda games? Will it ever be plausible?

Quvack

nephalim said:
I'm also curious, how soon will it be plausible to make involved N64 hacks? Like an OoT remake, like they do with all the old Zelda games? Will it ever be plausible?

It could happen, but it'd be a real pain in the arse to do unless you coded tools specifically for it.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
It would basically require a re-write of the rom. Like removing a window in an exe needs you to remove it from the source.

Vchat20

If I were able to make a hack for an N64 game, I would most likely add tons more levels to Cruisn' USA. cuz man, was that lacking.

Mekanikles

One dodgy bugger...
This thread is downright silly...

How on earth would you go about to make a new bunch-o-levels for Cruisin' eh? ( as far as i know, a cartride can't be modded the same way as a PC game due to incorrect size problems, correct me if I'm wrong)

Mekanikles

One dodgy bugger...
No, i don't, not in cruisin' anyway:)
the point i'm making is that Pc games are size-independable while 64 games are not. It would take some serious core programming to alter a game that much (I do believe in slight alterings like changing name on stuff or change their position but not in throwing in new code)

Remote

I cincerely hope you are being ironic, comsidering that there are no standard cartridge sizes, they come in all flavors... And hopefully the makers squessed out every bit out of that thing, they better had...

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
They needn't fill the entire cartridge. As proved by adding junk (empty) data to the end of the cartridge.
Someone told that you could fix overdumps that way before...

Vchat20

what was that device called? the dd64 or something? it attahced to the bottom of the n64. would that be useable in modding a game? or is it only for certain games?

OP
mightyrocket

mightyrocket

Banned
Doomulation said:
They needn't fill the entire cartridge. As proved by adding junk (empty) data to the end of the cartridge.
Like Super Smash Bros E (The U is 128 mbit and the E is 256 :)?

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Remote said:
I cincerely hope you are being ironic, comsidering that there are no standard cartridge sizes, they come in all flavors... And hopefully the makers squessed out every bit out of that thing, they better had...

Oh yes there are standard ROM sizes.

For N64, generally you get:

64Mbit, 128Mbit, 256Mbit, 320Mbit, and 512Mbit.

Most games are in the 128-256Mbit range. A somewhat decent number goes up to 320, and I know of two that use 512Mbit.

And of course, let's say you're using 37MB for your game. A 256Mbit cartridge is too small (32MB) and a 320Mbit is too big (40MB). You have three options - make some l33t compression algo to bring things down to fit in 256Mbit, stuff your 37MB into a 320Mbit cart and fill the rest with garbage, or use 320Mbit and make 3MB's worth of bonuses :)

Vchat20

yeah. maybe ill throw in an mp3 and have it play via the ingame music in Cruisn' USA. that would work. :D

OP
mightyrocket

mightyrocket

Banned
Tagrineth said:
Oh yes there are standard ROM sizes.

Most games are in the 128-256Mbit range. A somewhat decent number goes up to 320, and I know of two that use 512Mbit.

And of course, let's say you're using 37MB for your game. A 256Mbit cartridge is too small (32MB) and a 320Mbit is too big (40MB). You have three options - make some l33t compression algo to bring things down to fit in 256Mbit, stuff your 37MB into a 320Mbit cart and fill the rest with garbage, or use 320Mbit and make 3MB's worth of bonuses :)

If you fill the cart with garbage, won't you get much slowdowns? By the way, 32 mbit does exist too (dr. Mario).

Remote

Tagrineth said:
1st:Oh yes there are standard ROM sizes.

2nd:

1st part, blah... 2nd part, my point exactly with a little twist... :D Although cartridges are quite expensive so a -> oh shit our game is too big and putting it on a bigger cartridge will eradicate our already tight budget... So what to do? Reduce audio quality and put this bastard on a smaller cartridge... That goes for most of the n64 developers except for a very small percentage, which in the aftermath are the ones putting out blockbuster titles on large cartridges...

Status
Not open for further replies.