This thread is for all the WIP news from Makaron (a Dreamcast emulator for PC).
With addition of full MMU support I introduced a bug into Makaron - games that were previously playable with simple SQ remapping would now require slower MMU recompiler. Fixed. This means only games based on Windows CE will require proper address translation, the rest will happily run on faster recompiler. I guess there is no "SEGA multitasking OS" for Dreamcast after all
As for MIL-CDs, those don't even use address translation at all. They wouldn't work on normal recompiler because it was too fast. Again, due to the bug mentioned I was led to belive MMU was being used - while it was not. Seems like lowering SH4 speed to about 160 MIPS gets those to run, not yet sure why. Could be another DMA issue, all those use the same software MPEG player and it gave me some troubles before on other games as well.
I've tried to investigate the cause of WinCE games breaking TA geometry registration process - without much luck so far. Also many games complain about VMU not having enough free space on it (but some would still create a good save later). Suddenly it seems like a good idea to quickly release T9/2 to just see how frequently it crashes and if that coincides with emulation speed.
I'm done merging the MMU version with the main source branch, seems to work. I've also tried several things to speed up the address translation - again, not much luck there. The lookup tables I'm using now seem to be the limit of what can be done in that aspect. Gee, I almost wish I could make use of x86 paging unit (and yes, I know how complicated that would be - pretty fast though).
In short: unless I discover something obviously wrong for me to fix, I'm going to release T9/2 later today (or so).