What's new

Linux Problems

RPGlover12

Hey all ,
I have a problem with Linux
Well I installed Linux ManDrake 9.0 and it told me to resize a partition on C for it to install,after i finished all this shit when i tried formattin and re installin winxp it gave me an error message sayin C is corrupted.
Anybody Got any Advice on wat to do
thnxs in Advance

Did you use the linux installation program to
repartition your hard drive for all of your
partitions including windows partitions because
windows doesn't like linux to partition it, you should
repartition your hard drive. Use the windows installation
program to make a windows partition, make sure
you have enough for windows and linux.
You should install windows first then use the linux
installation program and let it make the appropriate
partitions for linux.

I hope this fixes your problem.

Last edited:

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Are your saying that you let Linux take up your whole Hard disk and then you later reformatted and tried to install XP?

If this is the case then your going to have to clear you master boot record and erase the partitions from your hard disk. Doing so is easy and shouldn't take too long.

First pop in a Windows 95/98/ME, if you dont have any one of these then you can download a disk image from the link that I'll post once I find the link ;). Next boot from the CD/Disk and choose Start-up with out cd support, not change to the RAM driver it created. Now type in
Code:
{drive}:\ fdisk /mbr
now just type in fdisk

Choose the option to delete primary partitions and delete all the ones you see, then delete the extended/logic partitions.

Once your done all that choose to create a partition and then once you have your partitions setup install Windows :)

NOW

If you have Windows XP and you tried to install Linux and you let Linux resize your partitions you may run into trouble. This is a problem that only occures with Windows XP/2K/NT4. Its because XP/2K/NT4 keep track of the size of your partitions and if Windows isn't told of a resize action (from a program like Fdisk or Partition Magic) then it believes your hard drive to be corrupt.

If the second part is your problem then all I can suggest is to try to move you data to a newly created partition.

Hope that helps :)

OP
RPGlover12

RPGlover12

Well malcolm my problem is the 2nd one that u stated.
Well the partition that xp doesn't accept is C: which is the master note that i have 2 hard disks C: is the master.
Do i have to delete the partition or wat?
thnxs in advance

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
try to just reset the master boot record like I showed above.

Are you able to boot, like you see the Windows XP start screen, or are you given an error like "Can find OS" or a can't boot to hard disk type of message?

If your getting that type of error message (a message from your BIOS FYI) then you just have to reset the master boot record. You can use that link above and use the fdisk /mbr command to do it.

If you can boot into XP and its XP that giving you the error you can try to put in the XP disk and see if it can recover you Windows XP setup.

Good luck :)

mesman00

What's that...?
Malcolm said:
Are your saying that you let Linux take up your whole Hard disk and then you later reformatted and tried to install XP?

If this is the case then your going to have to clear you master boot record and erase the partitions from your hard disk. Doing so is easy and shouldn't take too long.

First pop in a Windows 95/98/ME, if you dont have any one of these then you can download a disk image from the link that I'll post once I find the link ;). Next boot from the CD/Disk and choose Start-up with out cd support, not change to the RAM driver it created. Now type in
Code:
{drive}:\ fdisk /mbr
now just type in fdisk

Choose the option to delete primary partitions and delete all the ones you see, then delete the extended/logic partitions.

Once your done all that choose to create a partition and then once you have your partitions setup install Windows :)

Hope that helps :)

umm, i think that should be help enough, he got pretty in detail