What's new

Linux & M$

radTube

lazy bastard
I think I'll take a shot at Gentoo as soon as 1.4 final is released. I do know that Debian is a good and stable distro, but I'm not sure about it being what I'm looking for. It still might be next if Gentoo lets me down though.

Slougi

Malcolm said:
Slougi, how many times did I tell you that?

:p
Argh ><. For the last time GENTOO VERSION NUMBERS STAND FOR THE INSTALL CD ONLY. AFTER THAT IT IS ALL THE SAME! I STILL USE THE 1.2 CD!!!

Phew :)
Malcolm really can really get on one's nerves :p

radTube

lazy bastard
Slougi said:
Argh ><. For the last time GENTOO VERSION NUMBERS STAND FOR THE INSTALL CD ONLY. AFTER THAT IT IS ALL THE SAME! I STILL USE THE 1.2 CD!!!

Hehe, calm down. You do mean that the base installation is the same and the extra applications that come with newer version can be installed from the web using portage, don't you? But what about the newer kernel (and installation UI) in 1.4 and stuff like that? Why would they have different releases if they were exactly the same? Please pe patient and educate us :).

Slougi

radTube said:
Hehe, calm down. You do mean that the base installation is the same and the extra applications that come with newer version can be installed from the web using portage, don't you? But what about the newer kernel (and installation UI) in 1.4 and stuff like that? Why would they have different releases if they were exactly the same? Please pe patient and educate us :).
The point is, the cd's are just snapshots of the kernel and gcc etc that are in portage. You use them to compile your own version of those, which are downloaded using portage. So, after the install, everyone has the same system, for the most part. The only exception is that up to the 1.2 CD, the gcc version was 2.95. If you extract the tarball that is on 1.2 you get gcc 2.95. However, you can easily download the 1.4 tarball, even using the 1.2 CD, which is what I always do as the 1.4 cd refuses to boot on my computer.
So, you always get the latest version of everything thanks to the wonder of portage :happy: