What's new

Linux giving me nothing

jamesyfx

I've got Ubuntu Linux 5.10, it works fine.

...But I can't get online with it.

I'm on a wireless connection, with one of those USB Adapters.

I heard Linux is supposed to be useless for wireless, but is there any way I can get it to work?

Once i'm online, then i'll be set. I can do what I want. :p

Toasty

Sony battery
Needs drivers for the adapter maybe? Try Googling for Linux drivers for your model of adapter and see if anything comes up. Just a guess...

OP
J

jamesyfx

I've tried, and I really doubt it. As the manufacturers own website is powered by VBScript, which is Microsoft all the way.

I've tried this Linux app that supposedly installs drivers via an .ini file, but that didnt work either.

CF2

Pretends to make sense
Well, give us the model number of your wireless card. Wireless cards tend to be based on a couple different chipsets, about half of which have Linux drivers.

CF2

Pretends to make sense
Make sure you have usbutils installed and type lsusb in a terminal (might have to be root). That should give you some more information as to what chipset it uses.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
jamesyfx said:
I've got Ubuntu Linux 5.10, it works fine.

...But I can't get online with it.

I'm on a wireless connection, with one of those USB Adapters.

I heard Linux is supposed to be useless for wireless, but is there any way I can get it to work?

Once i'm online, then i'll be set. I can do what I want. :p

You're SOL, just like with users that have non-external modems.

I can't help you on this one, because I'm still majorly new to Linux!!

From my experience, if it isn't supported out of the box and have to get a driver, you're probably gonna always get an error, during the compile process or when telling Linux to load the drivers. :(

The only thing I can do for you is telling you to get a wired connection and an external modem. Sorry.