What's new

Links For Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyrylTheWolf

\/\/4ND3RING \/\/0LF
I need ISO mirrors for Slackware and SuSe Linux.

Most current versions if possible. ISO format only, please. (Unless you know of a comparable alternate option.)

NO DISTRO WARS. I only asked for mirrors! I don't actually care what you think of the distros or which ones you think I should use at this moment in time. Thanks!

:linux:

OP
CyrylTheWolf

CyrylTheWolf

\/\/4ND3RING \/\/0LF
I've been doing some further research and STILL can't seem to find any indiciation that there are even ISO's of SuSe out there.

I have a limited amount of time to find links for these distros. I have a friend on BB net who is going to download them for me and bring them to me when he comes to visit for Thanksgiving so... Any responses and links would be appreciated.

And as far as SuSe goes... How am I supposed to install it if I can't find images of it? The directories that I find on FTP sites look like they contain the contents of what would be the CD's. Am I supposed to download the whole directory and put it on CD? I doubt that it would be bootable that way.

Suggestions are good...

OP
CyrylTheWolf

CyrylTheWolf

\/\/4ND3RING \/\/0LF
You replied just as I was making that last post...

*sighs* :baaa:

I know about Gentoo. We have links to it. He's downloading that for me. (I'll deal with the LiveCD installation on a 56K issue later... Probably just wait until I get BB net again.)

While your suggestion is appreciated...I DID say that I was specifically looking for SuSe and Slackware images. I found some Slackware sites. Now I need to conquer the SuSe problem.

Please.. We're focusing on SuSe here. I said that in my first post.

Images for SuSe, please!

OP
CyrylTheWolf

CyrylTheWolf

\/\/4ND3RING \/\/0LF
Oh. Forgot to answer you. Yes I have been on google but I keep running into failed links or fake sites, etc. Still trying, though. I rarely ever have any trouble finding just about anything. Not sure why this is being a problem.

Thanks.

OP
CyrylTheWolf

CyrylTheWolf

\/\/4ND3RING \/\/0LF
Well...

Ok. I tried the the link you gave me for SuSe but...there was nothing there. Just folders such as etc, pub, usr...

I had to set the other links aside for the time-being because as I said before I am looking for SuSe. But I'll keep those links for later. Thanks.

Was still googling and found several references to the fact that there is no such thing as an ISO of SuSe. Seems that SuSe is on the brink of breaking the code of the open source community and refuses to distribute a free CD image of SuSe.

So it seems that I can either find someone that has the boxed set...or I'm going to need a little assistance in figuring out how to install it without the boxed set.

How can I install SuSe without the boxed set CD's? There has to be a way. I've developed a theory on it. I'd like to see if it is concurrent with the opinions of those here in this forum.

*thinks*

Just so you don't think I'm bluffing my theory to save face... My theory involves downloading the contents of the directories from the SuSe FTP site and using a boot floppy to begin the installation since SuSe apparently doesn't provide a bootable CD format. (I'll figure out how to create one later.) The only problem with that is it seems that you're supposed to edit the boot floppy to direct the installation to an online source such as the FTP installation directories at http://ftp.suse.com . I would think that I could direct the installation to a local physical drive. However I think that it might not work unless it's a remote location over network medium. (I could use my server system in that case. Just store the installation directory on it and share it...or something.) But then I'd have to know if it's going to be capable of reading from another system during the setup process. Would drivers for the network device be installed at that time? Would the network interface (eth0) be configurable at that time? The other problem would be interfacing with Windows or Linux on my server box to access that directory. I figure I'd need SAMBA installed. Not sure if it would be able to.

*takes a deep breath*

Too damn complicated. Shouldn't be. Hehe...

Let me know what you all think. I need some ideas here. :bounce:

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
CyrylTheWolf said:
Was still googling and found several references to the fact that there is no such thing as an ISO of SuSe. Seems that SuSe is on the brink of breaking the code of the open source community and refuses to distribute a free CD image of SuSe.

Nah...just suse never makes the latest version of their distribution available for download (the one you can download is always one version number below the latest.) That doesn't mean that its illegal for you to find and download it from a peer to peer network though.

My95ZR2

QUOTE: http://www.linuxiso.org/

self explanatory ;)

Wondered when someone would say that...Here's an idea: if you don't have cable/dsl/highspeed internet, make friends with somone that does...that saved me 3 weeks of nightly downloading to attempt to get Gentoo :D

Adam

OP
CyrylTheWolf

CyrylTheWolf

\/\/4ND3RING \/\/0LF
*sighs*

Is NO ONE paying attention to the things I've been saying in my posts?

I DO have a friend with high speed net. He's coming to visit. I SAID THIS. HE IS the one downloading these things for me. We've got a few days before he comes so we need to get all of the downloading done before then. Thank you just the same. *breathes out*

Hehe... Been at this all day. :p

I checked out Linux ISO dot org and found only more of the same crap.

The help file at ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/README.iso-images.english that Remote directed me to pretty much says it all. They're out to make money. (Hopefully to support the open source initiative...) (Thanks Remote. Now I have at least confirmed my suspicion.)

As for your http://www.filemirrors.com link Clements... That is a VERY handy little link. Thank you very much. I believe I was able to track down the professional versions of v9.0 ISO images. Just can't reach the server they're supposedly posted on for some reason... Thanks for the site. :)

AlphaWolf.. Yeah. I wish we could do that but unfortunately my friend is on a campus network and they've blocked off all P2P programs. I'm working on a solution for him but haven't come up with much so far. I believe I'm going to help him install Linux on his machine while he's here and we'll install DCGUI on it. He can specifically configure the ports in DCGUI so I doubt that they'd be able to keep up with him unless they blocked ALL TCP/UDP ports on him. Hehe... We'll see and if you really care I'll even let you know.

I'll continue to work at this. If anyone else comes up with some links or...perhaps if you could at least confirm that you can find it in a P2P network...then that might give me some new ideas.

Nice work, people. *nods*

Last edited:

Acorn

I think he needs a little bit clearer help, sending him to a site with direct links to downloads right off the front page didn't seem to help to much :p

You are correct that SuSe does not distribute a full ISO version of their OS! Much the same way that redhat doesn't distribute their enterprise version (and no longer makes the free one). However you can download an iso of 8.2 that runs off the disk!

ftp://ftp.fsn.hu/pub/CDROM-Images/suse/suse/i386/live-eval-8.2/SuSE-8.2-LiveEval-i386-Int-RC2.iso

^^ direct, working, fast link to SuSe distro, taken from linuxiso.org.

Sorry, not feeling like catering to people that refuse to look around, but would love to see you running linux! You can find slackware on linuxiso.org as well.

Btw, the campus is probably running a packet checker to block P2P programs (if they are smart anyway!), so it can be a pain to hop around (but not impossible :) ).

Last edited:
OP
CyrylTheWolf

CyrylTheWolf

\/\/4ND3RING \/\/0LF
Acorn:
Sorry, not feeling like catering to people that refuse to look around, but would love to see you running linux!

*narrows his eyes*

I hope that wasn't some kind of dig at me implying that I'm some kind of n00b and don't know how to use Linux. And I don't know where you get off assuming that I wasn't looking for it on my own. I checked numerous FTP/HTTP sites looking for the full distribution. I looked around. My coming here and asking for a little bit of help was a act of efficiency on my part. I was extremely limited on time before my friend's departure from his campus. Why not have other resources working on it on the side IN ADDITION to looking for it on your own. It's called 'saving time.'

I have never used SuSe before so it took me some time to conclude that it was different from the other distributions that I have used in the respect that it installs from a remote location. I'm sure that it would be of no consequence to you that not only did I obtain the full SuSe v9.0 hours after it's release but also figured out exactly how to install it using my own server system over the network. Wasn't hard. Configured eth0 for the installation and pointed it at my FTP server on my server system.

Oh. By the way... The next time you want to imply that someone doesn't know how to do something...you may want to make sure that you know what you're talking about first. I asked for the FULL distribution. NOT that lame-ass 'sampler' LiveCD version... Not to mention... You don't have a clue WHICH campus my friend is on let alone know anything about their network so you shouldn't have opened your mouth. Why? Because despite what you think, a little effort went a long way.

You see... I taught this guy just about everything he knows. HAVE been for the past 5 years. Best damn 'student' I've ever had. Using a little teamwork and a minimal amount of knowledge of their network structure that we obtained through a few hours of snooping...I was able to direct him through a Linux installation via chat. Then we set up the very configurable Direct Connect client for Linux - DCGUI. He used it to download several other things for me. THROUGH a fairly tight campus network no less. (Now HE has a way to resume his hobby of downloading...) They can check packets all they want but they're not going to be able to figure out what he's downloading when it's multi-thread packeting from multiple sources... Not that they'd care since we did a little intelligence work around the campus first and found that among other things, the freshmen apparently enjoy the privilege of unrestricted downloading of pr0n in the campus network. (Yes. The network gods there know and DON'T care.)

As for your opinion on those links I was given here... They DID in fact help as they helped lead me to other sources for the downloads AND a few other things I was looking for on the side. You? You came in and made yourself look like an ass which DIDN'T help me at all.

And I KNOW I'm correct about the non-existent SuSe ISO's. I mean...dude.. Did you just feel that you'd feel more like you knew what you were talking about if you reaffirmed something that I already knew? You were a WEE bit too late. And if you had paid ANY attention to the posts you would find that I had already found Slackware FAR before you even mentioned it.

So here's your chance to redeem yourself. Why don't YOU tell me how YOU would defeat a packet-capturing network such as your typical campus network. Assume tight security. (I have a feeling we'll never hear from him on this one...)

*lets out a deep breath*

At any rate... Thank EVERYONE ELSE for your help. Through my friend with that supposedly blocked off campus network connection I was able to retrieve SuSe Linux v9.0 in it's ENTIRETY...and install it. (Can YOU do that, Acorn?)

I hate people sometimes... You ask for a little assistance and they assume that you don't have a clue what you're doing or that you're not even trying to help yourself...so they balk at you. I thought that THIS is what forums were for...weren't they? I found all I needed.

flow``

flow``
you're bitching a lot for someone asking for help.

if i want a linux distro the first place i would've looked would be a bittorrent tracker site

OP
CyrylTheWolf

CyrylTheWolf

\/\/4ND3RING \/\/0LF
:rolleyes: @ Flow

Oh NO.. Not YOU again.

*sighs*

I already dealt with you.

I mean...WHAT? Are you forum-stalking me now or something? Geez...

I admit that I was a little irritated because I said the same thing time and again and it felt like a couple of people weren't really getting the idea. I wasn't necessarily bitching so much as I was trying to reiterate my point. I was VERY clear and specific about it in the hopes of saving myself time.

I don't care what YOU want or how YOU do things, Flow. And I don't care about YOU. And sure.. Bittorrent is nice. WHEN YOU HAVE BROADBAND. I DON'T. You...just like Acorn here OBVIOUSLY didn't pay attention to the previous posts. Had you done so you would realize that it's even pointless for you to comment here now. I had said that I'm on 56K. The bandwidth in Bittorrent works on a give/get basis. What you give...you get. How the FARK is someone going to download a distribution of Linux that is several GIGABYTES in size on a 56K modem?!? Certainly NOT using Bittorrent. You IDIOT. That's why I had my friend download it for me.

Do me a favor and stay out of the threads that I start, please? Seriously. Things will be more peaceful that way. Because unlike YOU...I'm not here to fight with anyone. You seem to want to start them. But that doesn't mean I'll take crap from people who just don't get it. People like you.

Now run along and play before I spank you...AGAIN... (Isn't your arse SORE by now?)

OP
CyrylTheWolf

CyrylTheWolf

\/\/4ND3RING \/\/0LF
Y'know what? Can we get a LOCK on this thread? It's kind of pointless now. I have resolved the issue that spawned this thread and it could only get ridiculous from here so...

Mods? If you would please?

flow``

flow``
the whole point of this thread was you asking for links so your friend could get it for you.. who's on broadband.. who could use bittorrent..

you change your mind a lot. at first your friend was getting it for you, now you act like your getting it for you. make up your mind peon ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.