What's new

Lighting problems.

Qun Mang

nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'
I am having a problem with some video plugins. For some reason lighting doesn't seem to work properly and the picture gets very dark at times, like at night on Zelda OOT. The attached picture shows how bad this problem can be. This occurs on at least Jabo's and Rice's plugins. Glide 64/Evoodoo works right for the most part but it really isn't an ideal plugin to use with non-Voodoo cards due to Evoodoo glitches and speed (though I must say for the most part it does work well- but Jabo's is supposed to be ideal for cards like mine). I can work around this issue in full screen by using the ATI control panel (I have a Radeon 7500) and setting up hotkeys for adjusting gamma, brightness, and contrast, but this doesn't work for windowed mode. Does anyone have an idea why this may be happening? If a driver problem, then can anyone recommend a good Catalyst version for the 7500? Currently I'm using 4.4, but the problem also existed in 4.3 (don't know about earlier versions). Thanks.

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
The only way you can really get around that when not in full screen is by adjusting the gamma through this menu (make sure to have desktop selected, too). Upping that will make everything brighter unfortunatly, so you may need to set it back down after you're done, but it's better than nothing.

OP
Qun Mang

Qun Mang

nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'
Yes that works- the effect was pretty dramatic when going from a gamma of 1 to 2.5. Unfortunately, as you said it makes the rest of the desktop too bright. I just wish I could get to the bottom of the problem as to why it is so dark at a normal gamma setting though.

ggab

Emutalk Member
good news QunMang!!!!
In English:
17.04.2004 - Fix of ATI for the bug on the calibration of the chromatic range ATI has published a fix for the resolution of a present bug in some release of the driver to equipment of the video card based on a graphical processore Radeon, of whichever generation, in atmosphere Microsoft Windows 2000 and XP. In some cases, in fact, a system shaped with Catalyst 4,2 or 4,3 or 4,4 can introduce the lacked operation the controls of the chromatic range is with the applications 2D that 3D.

check:

http://www.3dfxzone.it/news/puntatore.php?uid=278

and download the FIX file, good luck!

OP
Qun Mang

Qun Mang

nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'
I thought it was good news too when I first heard of it. I got it a couple nights ago and installed it, sure that this problem would go away. I got it from ATI (DIRECT LINK), whose site says:
Upon making changes to certain monitor calibration software, the gamma settings will not be applied or loaded for the display. Color and gamma profiles for third party applications and games are also affected.
The part about monitor calibration didn't sound right but the second certainly did so I gave it a go. It did exactly nothing to fix this problem unfortunately. I then tried Omega's new drivers which have this hotfix included. Same deal.

Question: did this fix work for anyone who has this problem? If so, then did you do anything special to get it working?

Anyway thanks for the heads-up ggab.

EDIT: In looking at user comments, I noticed one user had this to say:
it's to fix the problem with catalysts 4.2 - 4.4 ignoring gamma settings in 3rd party controls, such as the adobe gamma control that many use.
If this is true then it really has nothing to do with my problem, though perhaps I could use one of these third party utilities to automatically adjust the gamma for me when using 1964/PJ64.

Last edited: