What's new

Late Message: First Nintendo 64 Disc Drive dumps made

FlotsamX

Since no one else said anything about it (I used search), I thought I should tell everyone.

The ability to dump DD-format floppy discs is now possible, and being put in action. 8 of the supposedly 11 released discs have been dumped, but as of yet, only one person has offered to put one of the dumps online, which happens to be the "F-Zero Expansion Kit". Although no emulators exist to play them, this is definatly a breakthough in N64 emulation. I'm pretty sure having the files themselves would circumvent alot of problems with going through the process of making an emulator for it. =]

Here is a list of all the dumped games/bios:

BIOS (Unplayable)
BIOS (Hacked, playable on "certain emulators", according to Zoinkety)
Mario Polygon Studio
Doshin the Giant
Mario Paint Studio
Mario Communication Kit (Which is useless, because it only supports Randnet service, which ended in 2001)
Sim City 64
RaNDnetDD Starter Disc (Which is useless, considering the Randnet service ended in 2001)
Kyojin no Doshin Kaihō Sensen Chibikko Chikko Daishūgō
F-Zero Expansion Kit (The only one available on the internet)

Try being SPECIFIC on Google, there is only 1 website hosting it.

Last edited:
OP
F

FlotsamX

And of course, after 5 searches, I learn that there IS a thread about it. Damnit. Well, would this still be considered worthwile as an "updated" article? Only 1 dump existed at the time that article was made.

zoinkity

There's also a dump of the BIOS, as well as a hack of said BIOS which can run on very specific emulators. Both of those are difficult to find but available as well. I believe that was dumped with a Gameshark, of all things ;*)

There's already a translation project for the BIOS, and undoubtedly they'll try to extend that to the other disks when images are more readily available. So, at the very least, you'll get a remarkably well translated list of all the error codes it generates.

BTW, Doshin 2 is weird. Really... freaking... weird. Just recently I've finally had a chance to play a little of it, and as much as I like peeing on things that's something of an unusual concept for a game. Odd that such a brilliant game as Doshin is followed up by that tripe...

OP
F

FlotsamX

So, an emulator can play the IPL4 ROM? I've heard talk it's UltraHLE, is this true?

EDIT: It doesn't work. Does anyone know the one that does?

feder

you should try daedalus with rice video plugin and sound disbled, it works perfectcly (however it's slow). i have done it myself and got it working, but you also have to hack the rom.

Off topic:English isn't my primary language.:bouncy:

feder

No, the hacked version has ''.z64'' extension (and it's known as [64DD] ILPROM (H1).z64), if i have time i'll do a patch for the original rom, just for making things more easy for everyone.

X-Fi6

A friend of ZZT32 (known as TS_Death_Angel on these forums) also dumped the BIOS for his 64DD, and zzt put a vid of it up on his forums back in Dec 2006.

etking

y Aqui hay un video de cómo se veria en el 64DD real

If you google for my postings title, you will find some interesting screenshots of daedalus running the 64dd bios, includung settings.