What's new

Just downloaded chankast....where do I put my files/roms?

isamu

OK I just grabbed the emu. I've got a DVD full of DC roms in ISO format. where should I place them? In the ame directory as the emu.exe? And what else do I need to start playing?

OP
I

isamu

Belegdol said:
mount the isos using daemon tools

Thanks for the reply. I'm not really a fan of DT. Can I use an altrnative like Alcohol 120% instead?

OP
I

isamu

O.K.

I downloaded Daemon Tools, followed the steps and I got the emu "start up" screen to start. I am using only one game to sample so far and that is Sonic Adventure.....I cannot get the game to run however, and I'm getting a message from the DC saying please insert disc. Yes, I have mounted the actual image file containing the .img extention and it still doesn't work.

None of the three Sonic Adventure files in my folder end with the .iso extention and that may be the problem. So my question is, which of the following files do I need to rename the extention to .iso:

1)Sonic Adventure 2 738.img
2)Sonic Adventure 2 738.ccd
3)Sonic Adventure 2 738.sub

???

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
isamu said:
So my question is, which of the following files do I need to rename the extention to .iso:

1)Sonic Adventure 2 738.img
2)Sonic Adventure 2 738.ccd
3)Sonic Adventure 2 738.sub

???
None of them.

OP
I

isamu

PsyMan said:
None of them.

O.K. then what am I missing? My Sonic rom came in .zip format and I unzipped it and those three files were all that were in the zip file.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
You started this thread to ask some questions when there is already a sticky thread that mentions to read it before asking anything (the Chankast FAQ). If you had read it and/or searched the forum a bit before creating this thread it whouldn't be necessary to wait in order to make Chankast work.
Hint: Read the thread I mentioned ;)

OP
I

isamu

PsyMan said:
You started this thread to ask some questions when there is already a sticky thread that mentions to read it before asking anything (the Chankast FAQ). If you had read it and/or searched the forum a bit before creating this thread it whouldn't be necessary to wait in order to make Chankast work.
Hint: Read the thread I mentioned ;)

Psyman. I know you're trying to help, but I am new at this stuff. Of course I read the FAQ. And there is nothing in the FAQ that discusses whether the emu is supposed to read ISO files *only*, or if it can read .img or .ccd files. Obviously it can't, since the DC is acting like I do not have a disc inserted in the system. The FAQ tells me to use Deamon Tools , which I am, it tells me to mount the image file onto the virtual drive, which I did.

What I am confused about is whether or not I need to rename either my Sonic Adventure 2 738.img file, my Sonic Adventure 2 738.ccd file, or my Sonic Adventure 2 738.sub file....to .iso. If I don't, and the emu only accepts .iso files, what do I do? What file do I mount? The Sonic Adventure 2 738.img file appears to be the largest file, and it seems I would have to rename it to Sonic Adventure 2 738.iso. But I tried that and it didn't work.

Oh and I'm using Deamon Tools version 3.47 BTW

Any suggestions please?

OP
I

isamu

Trotterwatch said:
And use the version of Daemon Tools mentioned in the FAQ (3.29) :)

Funny that you mentioned this....

I *did* install that version and guess what? It fucks up my PC(WinXP Pro...Intel P4 3.6) right in the middle of installation and causes it to reboot. So I d/l the latest version of D Tools and it actually works fine. Not sure why the older version fucks my pc up though.

Anyway I appreciate your help gentlemen.

Small issue.....Puzzle Fighter is running a bit too fast. How can I slow it down a bit and keep the framerate at a nice smooth pitch?

OP
I

isamu

Wow this is awesome! Got Third Strike, Puzzle Fighter running good! But they run a bit too fast. Any keys I can push, or any plug-ins I can grab to get the speed down a bit?

Also, any graphical filter plug-ins available like HQX2 or Super Sai, etc?

audiohominis said:
Yeah, but 3.29 is the one you should use.

Believe me, I would. But Like I said I can't get it to install correctly on my PC without it screwing up and rebooting my PC.

Besides, I tried Alcohol 120% a couple times now and it WORKS! :icecream:

Trotterwatch

Yeah Alcohol works good too, as does as you found the latest Daemon. Though the latter does have issues with certain games.

To get the speed down, you could try pressing the Plus key on the keypad - this will overclock the emulated CPU which should make things smoother and a bit more intensive to emulate (hence slowing it down).

OP
I

isamu

Trotterwatch said:
Yeah Alcohol works good too, as does as you found the latest Daemon. Though the latter does have issues with certain games.

To get the speed down, you could try pressing the Plus key on the keypad - this will overclock the emulated CPU which should make things smoother and a bit more intensive to emulate (hence slowing it down).

ok Ill tried it. And still runs a bit fast. :(

Wonder if there's anything in the Alcohol settings I can adjust to maybe slow the speed of the virtual drive down?

Daytona USA worked until I after I completed a race, then upon going into the config menu and then retrying a race it crashes :bye3: :bye3: :bye3: :bye3:

Darn....that is one game I was hoping would be O.K. C'mon Chankast crew please don't let us down in the next release.

OP
I

isamu

OK the cpu over clock thing seems to be doing the trick in a few games now so thanks. :)

Whirlinurd

Where do people get the idea that Chankast only read ISO files. Chankast reads every type of cd image as long as it's supported by the virtual drive it's inserted in. Chankast does nothing more then call the drive when it's needed.

I hereby declare that we do not try to answer any dumb questions anymore.

ps. For all the people that think that there will be a next version. Chankast is just a patched version of DreamEmu so that it works in Windows XP. Hopefully the Chankast team will release a revised 0.25 version so that it also will work in Longhorn. This 'Chankast version 0.25b' as it will be called will not be released untill Longhorn is actually released in 2007.

raiden_quake

Where do people get the idea that Chankast only read ISO files. Chankast reads every type of cd image as long as it's supported by the virtual drive it's inserted in. Chankast does nothing more then call the drive when it's needed.

I hereby declare that we do not try to answer any dumb questions anymore.

ps. For all the people that think that there will be a next version. Chankast is just a patched version of DreamEmu so that it works in Windows XP. Hopefully the Chankast team will release a revised 0.25 version so that it also will work in Longhorn. This 'Chankast version 0.25b' as it will be called will not be released untill Longhorn is actually released in 2007.

A iso file can't be a selfbootable one

cdi&mds/mdf is better

chankast is a patched version of DreamEmu?????

but why is DreamEmu renamed

OP
I

isamu

re: Soul Caliber

Looks like my Soul Caliber rom is fucked up.

WinRar won't extract the .img file and is giving me a "file is corrupt" error. Anyway I can replair the image file? Any tools?