What's new

It worked well a month ago, but now...

OP
Anchel

Anchel

The Xpaniard
LOL :D :D :D

Anyway, I've noticed that even using it normally, the whole computer goes much slower.
I'm already thinking I'll never be able to use PJ64 in this computer :geek:

Jeanakin

same problem but...

My pc is an Athlon XP 1800 with 256 ddr (333), GeForce 2 Mx 200 64 mb, 30gb hd and Windows xp pro. I've tried some plugin combinations but none of them really worked, even changing priority, turning sound off (no audio plugin) and so on. Is there any other way than get back to win 98? More ram would REALLY help in this case or is it time to own a new video card? With my PIII 733 with 512 ram and same gf2 mx, project 64 ran smothly in 1024x768, but with my new pc with windows xp some games like Asteroid 64 looks like a slide show in some moments (even freezing for several seconds!!!), in the other hand mario 64 and Pokemon stadium run smoth... I'd appreciate any help :) Ah, all the drivers are updated with newest versions and detonator.

Thanks for reading.

Jeanakin

OP
Anchel

Anchel

The Xpaniard
It seems to be the same problem as me, but Mario 64 doesn't work well for me :plain:

Orkin

d1R3c764 & g1|\|64 m4|<3R
I have an Athlon XP 1700+ and a GeForce 256 (the first one) on Windows XP, and I've found that Jabo's video v1.5 doesn't work as well as 1.4 for me. 1.5 frequently pauses for several seconds, while 1.4 runs smooth. I'm not sure if it's a 1.5/XP incompatibility or what.

Of course, I've recently been using my own plugin more than Jabo's anyway... :D

Jeanakin

So... where is your plugin ? heheehehe. I'm serious, could you put a link of it to us, at least is a light in the end of the road for us all!!! :daedalus: In some cases I think a "fresh" install of OS, drivers and "boosters" (just like detonator) can solve some speed problem. When I did it, I've tested P64 in each step so I could see the results and Mario is something of a "must run" for all emulators. Achel, have you tried to download your rom from another source? Maybe it's corrupted.

[]s

Jeanakin

OP
Anchel

Anchel

The Xpaniard
I said since the first post that this worked well on Win98.
Seconldy, I'd like to ask you all if you could please try to make an effort to say my name RIGHT.
(If you didn't know, Anchel is my real name too).

Also, it seems that the slowdowns are only for Jabo's Direct3D6 1.5, but I still want to know what's going on

Last edited:

RJA

The PC Wiz
Are you by any chance having the poor D3D performance problem?

If you are, it appears to be a NT based
OS (Windows 2000/XP) problem, because
I have seen on one of the message boards about Windows XP users having
slow D3D game performance.

A solution:

Upgrade the Radeon drivers.

OP
Anchel

Anchel

The Xpaniard
I had already done that.
I went to Ati's webpage and downloaded the latest driver for the Radeon series, but it doesn't seem to do anything better

RJA

The PC Wiz
I hate to tell you:

You are required to reinstall Windows XP.
Do you have the Windows XP CD,
I386 folder on second hard disk (D)
or a recovery partition made by the OEM?
If you do, you are required to redo
Windows XP.

Remember:
1. During the Windows XP installation process, you *MUST* choose to reformat
your system hard disk drive (C)

2. You are *REQUIRED* to reinstall all
your drivers if you reinstall Windows.

Last edited:

BTM

Polish Emu Scene Member
why ? i installed win xp on win 98 and it's working ok, PJ64 runs at 50 FPS

Idonex

ok.

Do normal Direct3D applications work ok (games etc)?

Go to Start -> Run and type dxdiag. Then when it's loaded click on the 3rd tab for Display. What does it say under DirectDraw, Direct3D and AGP Texture acceleration.

What ATi drivers are you using? I am using the Catalyst 0.2.3 set and they work fine.

Although i have had problems with PJ64 under XP before. The same as you, i was dual booting 98 and XP. It worked fine in 98 but not at all in XP. 1.4 didn't didn't even load, i'd click the exe and it would cause a general protection fault in module project64.exe every time. PJ64 1.5 is the first version i've got working.

OP
Anchel

Anchel

The Xpaniard
Idonex, I've done what you said, and it says "no problems found".
What did you do when PJ64 had the same problem as me in WXP?
The problem only happens to me with Jabo's D3D 6 1.5
I'm using the latest ATI drivers I could find in their webpage.

Idonex

What you could try doing, to help pinpoint what is making the graphics slow, is to install 1964, copy RSP.DLL and Jabo_Direct3D6.DLL from the PJ64 plugins folder (and any other gfx plugins you want to test) to the 1964 plugins folder and try playing some games in 1964.

The setup is almost identical to PJ64. One tip, once you've changed the gfx plugin (from Plugins -> Change Plugins) in 1964 you might have to restart 1964 to change the settings. Also go to Plugins -> Change Plugins and then tick Use RSP Plugin.

If it works fine then maybe something in PJ64 doesn't like your PC, if it doesn't then we know it's the plugin that your PC doesn't like.

When PJ64 didn't work i just couldn't use it in XP and left it. Later on i dumped 98 totally and when 1.5 came out i tried again and it worked :)

One last thing, do normal games work fine, and in dxdiag did it say all Acceleration types were 'Enabled'? They should be.

Oh and is every game slow in PJ64?

OP
Anchel

Anchel

The Xpaniard
Normal games work fine, all aceleration modes are enabled and every N64 game runs slow WHEN using Jabo's D3D 6 1.5
I'll try now 1964

OP
Anchel

Anchel

The Xpaniard
There's no doubt. There's something in Jabo's my PC doesn't like :p
It works as bad in 1964 :cry: