What's new

Is there a frame skip option?

UnitZeroOmega

Need to know because Legend of the Mystical Ninja (first game) runs slow. Says "Issues (plug in), Grafix slow"

Way to correct this? Does it need a plugin? If soo please show me a link to it. Btw where are all the plug ins any way?

Remote

It seems to be a knows issue without a solution. The plugins avalible with Project64 are amongst the most compatible but they aren't always the optimal solution, you should also download the Project64 gamefaq which provides you with solutions for many popular games. Check the link for more plugins...

http://www.smiff.clara.net/utils/plugins/index.htm

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
There is a feature than can work like framskip, if you got a computer fast enough.
Just press F4 to disable the limit fps option. This will make the emulator run the game as fast as it can. Press F4 again to enable, this will make the game run normal again.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
that's nothing like a frameskip option.

I've explained before why there isn't and shouldn't be a frameskip option, but I'll recap quickly here.

Take a typical situation in Zelda running in PJ64, CPU% stats look something like this: R4k: 50% Dlist: 24% Alist 10%. The minimum frameskip you can sensibly use (and the min available in many other kinds of emu) is 2 (skip every other frame). Supposing you do that and halve the Dlist %, your stats are now 50, 12, 10, i.e. you saved 12%, which can now go towads to the other components, giving a realistic performance improvement of about 10% and a framerate (real) of 9 FPS. Even if you skip in the core instead (not sure if this possible) and get a full 100% speedup you still have the framerate problem, the games are not really any more playable.

N-Rage

or in short: u only can 'skip' GFX and sound processing, which doesnt makes much of a difference in the end, since Emulating the core( = everything else ) is what takes ***tloads of time... unfortunatly u cant skip the core.

I dont know if 1964 is compatible with this game, but 1964 usually runs the games way faster for me( some games have nearly double the speed ). Its a tad more difficult to find the right settings tho-

Smiff

Emutalk Member
yeah but in this case its almost irrelevant what 1964 does because it's Jabo that's (very very) slow. er, i take the starter's point though, a frameskip _would_ be useful in this case. maybe 1964 could send every other Dlist hmm i dunno havent thought about it