What's new

is it actualy illegal to have an iso ?

Player 1

EmuTalk Member
SteveD88 said:
is it actualy illegal to have an iso on ur computer if u have the real game ?

If you have a iso of a game and have the real game, I don't think it is illegal.

OP
SteveD88

SteveD88

hhhhmmm....

you see there seems to be allot of debate about this, duz any one actually know tho.

coz i herd that if u owned the game u were allowed 2 make a backup as long as it was only for your own personal use ?

loopsider

SteveD88 said:
you see there seems to be allot of debate about this, duz any one actually know tho.

coz i herd that if u owned the game u were allowed 2 make a backup as long as it was only for your own personal use ?

No it's illegal if you don't make the backup yourself. It would be like saying you can steal a game from Best Buy because you own it. While your first copy will be legal if bought, the other's will be stolen.

So when you download an ISO, it's not the exact copy of the CD you possess, rather the exact copy of another person.

That of course, is impractical. It's like they won't let you install certain software if you are on a network, unless you pay more...

So yes, it is illegal to download an ISO if it is not the ISO that you possess (they are all not exactly alike).

WhiteX

Well the jewel case states "For use only in Blah, blah system".
I guess that make a backup copy for media failure purposes is legal, but to play it on a system other then the designated video game is indeed illegal.

Heinster

-It's not illegal to have an iso if you made it yourself of one of your own games.

-It's illegal if you got it through internet or other means that gave you the opportunity to get the iso........ But eventually the people chasing piracy don't care about these things.... So I wouldn't be afraid if I were you in this case.

-The only problem you can encounter is when you yourself upload these files. But if it are non commercial running games then again the chance you get caught is slim since they only care about the current generation games piracy. And personally I can't disagree, good work should be rewarded in hard cash.... Would you like it if people run arround with stuff you made unpaid?Everyone who does a decent job should get paid for it I believe.

But I personally have no problem with non commercial running games neither do the companies who protect right of games(little problem but no imediately action is being taken).

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
This is like a grey area... the law in some countries say that it's legal to make a backup of software you own for archival purposes. Although even so, companies tend to claim that any form of backup is illegal. That said, I don't think you'll be going to jail if you make a backup of your own game / software.

greasyspoon

No, its not Illegal if someone else makes backup, because you supported the people by buying the game in the first place, so it wouldn't matter who made the backup in the first place as long as you had originally bought the game. Even if you dont own the game, no one will care if you have an image of it anyways, since its DC.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
greasyspoon said:
No, its not Illegal if someone else makes backup, because you supported the people by buying the game in the first place, so it wouldn't matter who made the backup in the first place as long as you had originally bought the game.
Illegal.

Even if you dont own the game, no one will care if you have an image of it anyways, since its DC.
Well DUH, it's still a game.

Talbain

Moo.
Game backups from other countries cannot be enforced in the U.S.A. At least not criminally, because while a copyright may exist in the country of origin, the copyright does not transfer over to American soil. Likewise, American copyrights do not transfer over to other countries. Owning copies of American games on your computer is now illegal due to the DMCA and Patriot Acts, no matter if you own the original. It used to be that you could own them if you owned the originals, but no longer. Also, it's not a grey area, it's been very well documented, and it's illegal, at least in America, with American games.

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
In fact, any use of bypassing copy protection as a means to copy digital information is deemed as illegal, regardless whether or not you own it. Bypassing copy protection includes, but is not limited to: using modified cd/dvd drives, either through the use of hardware or software to obtain normally "unreadable information." So, you may own the disc the game came on, but you don't own the information that's on it, you simply own a license to use it. Think of it this way: if you owned the game (disc and information on the disc, you could potentially make copies and sell them for profit without any fear of legal action.

Talbain

Moo.
Also, most copyrights can now last anywhere from 25-75 years, and can be reissued at any time, though generally they are renewed at the end of the latest copyright term. This makes it so that it is effectively impossible to have a game (even old NES games, which began to make their way here in the 1980s) that is not under some form of copyright protection, and therefore, infringement, should you own it on your computer. (I think that realistically, a copyright should not last more than 3-5 years, but companies are greedy, so it doesn't really matter a whole lot as to what I think.)

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
Talbain said:
This makes it so that it is effectively impossible to have a game (even old NES games, which began to make their way here in the 1980s) that is not under some form of copyright protection
One thing you're missing: if you don't think cartridges are considered a form of copy protection, then tell me how many private people have been issued eeprom chip readers/programmers by Nintendo. Those roms for NES games are ripped using Nintendo issued hardware for transferring info from a pc to a chip (to later be installed in a cartridge), and it can also transfer the info from the chip back to the pc (this is how rom images get dumped). Only other way to dump a cartridge rom is to own a cable that can connect your NES to your pc, but this still breaks the copy protection.

Talbain

Moo.
Well, protection was actually a misnomer on my part. I actually meant protection in the sense that the game itself is copyrighted to the company, and therefore an individual copyright to an end-user is limited by their EULA.