What's new

Intel 810 Chipset

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
I'm about to build a secondary PC that's faster than my current secondary (K6-2 550). I've got an I810 board, a geforce4 MX 420 PCI video card, 20GB HDD, 320mb ram, but a 466mhz celeron PII. So, what's the absolute fastest celeron PIII (or vanilla PIII) an i810 will support? I can't seem to find it on the net.. I'm going for 1-1.2GHz..

Gigahurtz

Feel the speed
cooliscool said:
I'm about to build a secondary PC that's faster than my current secondary (K6-2 550). I've got an I810 board, a geforce4 MX 420 PCI video card, 20GB HDD, 320mb ram, but a 466mhz celeron PII. So, what's the absolute fastest celeron PIII (or vanilla PIII) an i810 will support? I can't seem to find it on the net.. I'm going for 1-1.2GHz..

i810 can support celeron up to 1.1 ghz or pIII up to 1 ghz i think. Be sure to check the processor's temperature if you plan on puting 1.1 ghz celeron or 1 ghz pIII in it since it may need an extra fan to cool it down.

Flash

Technomage
Gigahurtz said:
i810 can support celeron up to 1.1 ghz or pIII up to 1 ghz i think. Be sure to check the processor's temperature if you plan on puting 1.1 ghz celeron or 1 ghz pIII in it since it may need an extra fan to cool it down.
I have Celeron 600 at 900Mhz and Igloo 2310 (smallest Igloo series cooler and it's only 3200 rpm (almost silent) ) - only 37C without any software coolers (unlike *nix and NT-based systems Win9x can't handle
HLT instruction)

1.1 Ghz and 900Mhz - not a big difference if you don't have plans to overclock with higher voltage (not recommended anyway as it surely not
prolonging CPU life :))

Eagle

aka Alshain
Flash said:
I have Celeron 600 at 900Mhz and Igloo 2310 (smallest Igloo series cooler and it's only 3200 rpm (almost silent) ) - only 37C without any software coolers (unlike *nix and NT-based systems Win9x can't handle
HLT instruction)

1.1 Ghz and 900Mhz - not a big difference if you don't have plans to overclock with higher voltage (not recommended anyway as it surely not
prolonging CPU life :))

Wasnt the Intel I810 defective? I had one I think and I had to send it back for a recall.

OP
C

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
I just bought a 1.2ghz celeron with 256kb L2 cache (Tualatin?) for $67 at compusa. When it's in the PC, it doesn't boot at all.. maybe a bios update? How would I go about down clocking from 1.2 to 1.1 to support it? :saddam:

OP
C

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
joel_029 said:
just set it in the bios...that is if you can get into the bios.

Couldn't do that. Being an HP OEM board it lacks those options. Ah hell, I'll go buy a new socket370 mobo today. :) Thanks for your help everyone.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
cooliscool said:
I just bought a 1.2ghz celeron with 256kb L2 cache (Tualatin?) for $67 at compusa. When it's in the PC, it doesn't boot at all.. maybe a bios update? How would I go about down clocking from 1.2 to 1.1 to support it? :saddam:

Yup, it's a Tullie-based Celeron and thus requires a voltage that old i810's didn't support.

The reason for those clockspeed caps IS that that's where the Coppermine-based cores end and the Tualatin-based ones begin... basically when they say 'up to 1.1GHz' they're saying it because that's as high as you can go while being guaranteed a compatible core.

OP
C

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Ah, I see. Thanks Tagrineth. I'm not really farmiliar with Intel.. my fastest Intel CPU up 'til now was a coppermine PIII 733MHz. ;)

Well, I bought a spankin new Jetway mobo, which rules. It supports overclocking (up to 166MHz bus w/ voltage controls!) supports all socket370 CPUs, has 5 PCI, 1 ISA, 1 AGP. Complete specs are: Celeron Tualatin (256kb L2), 320MB PC-133 RAM, Apollo Bloody Monster GeForce4 MX 440 64MB DDR w/ AGP 8X, SB Audigy, Altec Lansing 4.1 Speakers, 17" inch Viewsonic monitor, Optical mouse, Black case (cd-rw and DVD rom, both black), black keyboard, and Win98SE (only option, sadly :( ).. not too shabby. In some things it seems a bit more responsive than my athlon-based pc... :beer:

XIII is quite a sexy game, to my suprise, it runs silky smooth on this pc. :santa: