What's new

Initializing Direct3D

CrazyStikFigure

Hey, I just started using Project64. Well, I've got my ROMs and loaded them up into the browser. But, I have a problem every time I try to play a game. It brings up a popup that says "Cannot open a ROM because plugins have not been successfully initialized". And on startup of PJ64, I get these two errors:

"Direct 3D failed to initialize
Error Code: 8876086C
D3DERR_INVALIDCALL"

and

"The default or selected video plugin is missing or invalid.
Check that you have at least one compatible plugin file in your plugin folder."

Do I have to do something to initialize it? And how do I check? I looked in the help files, on the site, and on the boards, but didn't find anything. Sorry if this has been answered.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Your computer specs would be nice to know.

The error message means that either your video card is so poor that it doesn't support 3D acceleration at all, or then there something really wrong with your video card drivers and/or DirectX is corrupt.

Make sure that Direct3D tests pass in the DirectX Diagnostics Tool. Go to Start --> Run, type dxdiag and click OK. Go to the Display tab and run the diagnostics tests.

OP
C

CrazyStikFigure

I did what Agozer said, and got this:

"Direct3D functionality not available. You should verify that the driver is a final version from the hardware manufacturer."

It IS a final version. Does anyone know where I can get Direct3D?

OP
C

CrazyStikFigure

Sorry for double post, but people may have read my last post and if I edit it, they won't see what I edited it with.

I found Direct3D on my computer, but PJ64 won't find it. This is driving me crazy(er). I REALLY want this to work. Please help.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Direct3D is a part of DirectX. You could try reinstalling the latest DirectX, but I don't know if that helps.

Still, your computer specs, especially the video card, would be nice to know.

OP
C

CrazyStikFigure

Oh nevermind. I dug a little deeper into the help file and found out my graphics card isn't good enough. Oops :ranting:

jon90

I got the same basic problem as CrazyStikFigure had so I thought it be appropriate to post it here.

Anyway, I have the same problem although I know my card is good enough because i got it to work perfectly along time ago on the same computer. Although, it says that DirectDraw, Direct 3D, and AGP Texture acceleration is not even available. The "Test Direct3D" button is faded out.And I dont think redownloading Direct X works cause I have already done that countless times. Unless Im doing it wrong. It does say I have Direct X 9 though. Please help.

Specs:
Windows XP Professional
222MB RAM
ATI Technologies Inc. BK-A TI Version 008 video card (i think thats right)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
If no acceleration is available and you can't test d3d, then it's no wonder you can't play the emulator. Update your video card drivers, this usually solves the problem.