What's new

I'm fed up with games that boast graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janet Merai

TLOZ: Unicorns Lair Artist
Am I the ONLY one who is fed up with games that say "hey, we have great grahpics, buy us!"

I MISS the old days where a storyline, game-play and controls were number one in the gaming era long ago.

Now we have games that rely on graphics to make the game a "game"

Whatever happened to being able to PLAY the game without starting at the graphics and eventually get fed up with a misleading support for controls and gameplay?

IM SICK of games that advertise the graphics yet have nightmarish controls and gameplay.

I am becoming a game developer, not a programmer as I stink at programming and dislike it, where I direct, throw in ideas, beta test, design lands and rooms, design characters and anything artistic.
I want to change the way games are today too.

Games are becoming just like the TV does, they influence graphics as TV reflects crystal clear pictures, not a storyline

What the freaking heck is up with people today? Don't they give a rats a* to how crucial a game is on everything BUT graphics?

I've seen so many people on cgtalk.com hiring 3D modelers, yet their games are horrid without controls and such.
I'd like to see the gaming industry get a new face than 3D high detailed graphics being the ideal rate..we need a change, and I intend to make that change.

WhiteX

You are right, today advertising a game is the same as saying that a book is good because of the paper quality.

Storyline, character depth, gameplay, hell, even fun is secondary to Pixel shader, bumpmapping and all those nice tech names.

It is not that i don´t like cool 3d graphics, of course i like them, it is only that only a handfull of games nowadays use both cutting edge graphics, solid gameplay and good story telling.

Miretank

Lurking
You've input a good discussion. :)

I don't judge games by graphics as well, I miss the days with Final Fantasy 6 so badly. I can't understand why they want a 3.2GHz processor if they already do good graphics and speed with 294,14MHz. But mreh, I don't care anymore. Let the children play their awesomeZ0R playstationation graphiX0R, I'll continue with my squared poligons, at least they gave me joy.

People nowadays are more interested in technology.

OP
J

Janet Merai

Also another thing to point out, don't you ever get fed up with those re-makes of an original game, only to be HIGHLY disappoitned on how NOT re-made the game is?

Take Dragon's Lair for example.
I bought the Gamecube game and tried it on my game system.

5 minutes of playing and I was bored of it already.
For one, this game looked unfinished and untalented, as if the creator just threw in random things.

It wasn't a re-make, it was a disaster. I returned the game back without finishing it.

The only re-make I really like is the Resident Evil game, the first one, for the Gamecube. They made add-ons, new stuff, items, zombies and cool graphics without taking away things!

However, I fear the only games that are going to make it are Nintendo games.
Sure, your beloved PS2(3), XBOX(360) may boast graphics for their whiney kids who want those superb graphics, but the Wii is going to kill every one of those systems with its supportive gameplay.

Zelda, Mario, Resident Evil, Metroid, Megaman and POSSIBLY Sonic the Hedgehog, are the ONLY game franchises I see surviving throughout gaming history.

I see all other games failing, even Counter Strike and those war games companies boast. Eventually, people are going to get bored of repeatedly killing each other with just graphics that make the game up.

Last edited:

WhiteX

Zelda, Mario and Metroid, POSSIBLY Sonic the Hedgehog, are the ONLY game franchises I see surviving throughout gaming history.

HEY! Megaman is alive and kicking!!!

WhiteX

The remakes of MM1 and MMX1 for the PSP were nice so was New Super Mario Bros, much to Doomulation´s discontent.
Most remakes are only a way to try to revitalize a franchise by giving it new graphics and forgatting the gameplay that once amazed us, by doing this they trick the old school fellas into thinking that it is the same good game of yore and bring the new kids that only care about 3d to the franchise as well, a win win situation.

Most of the time that same gameplay that we enjoy is way too hard on the newcomers, since today games are way easier than they were before, to be commended on keeping it old school are, for an example, the guys who made the new Ninja Gaiden game that have gorgeus graphics, solid gameplay and old school difficulty.

OP
J

Janet Merai

Interesting..I haven't been playing a lot of games lately X_X;

College was taking my time and I am working on a Zelda project :p

Its good to research games for inspiration :D

WhiteX

If beer drinking count as as talent...

EDIT: they count so much on graphics that the Doom 3 engine is said to be "dated".

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Most of Nintendo's games that have the latest graphics still have great storylines, good controls and story. Pikmin 1 & 2 were awesome for gameplay, Zelda Wind Waker had such a great story.

Other games that are great: Half Life 2, Doom 3, Prey, Unreal tournament 2004, Age of empires 3, Perfect Dark Zero, Kameo, Tekken 5, Metriod Prime... Oh yeah and who could forget Conkers Bad Fur Day reloaded for xbox! :D Only wish it was backwards compatible on my 360. x360 plays halo (also great) but nothing else I own, good job i've still got an xbox.

In short, there are still great games... you just need to look for them. Either that or you've got to stop living in the past and stop expecting your games to be the same as you remember them because trust me for the same reason we all hated Star Wars episode 1 was because it didn't live up to what we remembered in our childhood. If you never saw star wars before then you'd have thought it rocked.

Last edited:

WhiteX

Yes, Prey rocks!

The thing is that for each "complete experience" game we get 1000 lame excuses for shiny graphics.

I say we trust more in game reviews and buy only those that suit our interest instead of picking up all things new and we can get this philosophy to our friends as well, so perhaps on a distant future we may or may not make a difference, kinda the same purpose of that thread i started over PC X console gaming, remember ScottJC?

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Can't really remember WhiteX, but it sounds vaugely familiar. If you ask me the games we have today are just as good as they always were. The fact that there is so many MORE games these days clouds our judgement.

Think about it, back in the time of the NES, there were only a few games out on the market at a time, now there are hundreds practically every 2 months... You're picking up the wrong games if you think current gaming is in a bad shape... sure there are some horrible games but there are some great ones too.

I wouldn't listen to game reviews if I were you either WhiteX, gamespot for instance only gave prey 7.5, it deserved a 9. Jerks. I would rather ask my friends if they have it and what its like than trust places like gamespot. Besides, what about the DS? the graphics on that aren't that great so if you really want a blast from the past play games on that or use emulators like the rest of us.

I've been playing Harvest moon for the snes and chrono trigger lately :D

WhiteX

Oh no, by game reviews, i meant from from real ppl, like the reviews from here, some from gamefaqs and a bit of IGN and gamespot too, if you consider all of that, you may very well make a solid purchase or rent a hyped game to see that it was not all that, like Metroid prime Hunters for an instance.

The DS is a breath of fresh air on today´s gaming, while many games have poor usage of the touchscreen and some have very cluncky gameplay ideas, most games are good, funny and easy on the eyes (given the platform), yes the DS is a powerhouse of old school gaming.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I'd also like to add as we get older we get less interested in gaming in general, for instance i'm not nearly as interested in gaming as I was when I was 10... back then gaming was everything now I get bored after an hour or two of gaming when before I would just play for the entire day.

DDRPIP

The One and Only
I'm only 14 but I grew up playing SNES and N64, those were the best games tof all time to me, but games now just don't have that..."kick" i guess..
I didn't grow up playing like the Atari 2600 or anything, but I still prefer the old nintendo games over all
also the wii is the only system I'm getting cause it's the only one that seems to have good games, watching trailers to Super Mario Galaxy makes it hard to wait for it, but I know I have to...

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Likewise, the current generation of kids will have grown up playing the Xbox360, two console generations up they will say the exact same things: "Remember when gaming used to be cool? when we had the PS3 and the Wii!" It is generational.

Like old music to my father who still thinks its awesome I think it is utter crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.