What's new

I'd like to join the team

Rigel

I'm very much a fan of the "If it doesn't work, I'll try to fix it" mentality. With that being said, I'd love to be able to play GC games at high resolution on my PC. From what my understanding is, the problem is NOT the video, but the CPU emulation that needs work.

Fine. I'd love to help work on it. What can I do to join the team? I'm experienced in C / C++, as well as x86 assembly.

OP
R

Rigel

I should mention, I'm running C2D E6400, nVidia GeForce 7600GT, w/ 1024MB of RAM on Windows XP SP2 (I'm waiting a few more months to get another gig or two of ram and upgrade to Vista 64).

zaba_3

I'm very much a fan of the "If it doesn't work, I'll try to fix it" mentality. With that being said, I'd love to be able to play GC games at high resolution on my PC. From what my understanding is, the problem is NOT the video, but the CPU emulation that needs work.

Fine. I'd love to help work on it. What can I do to join the team? I'm experienced in C / C++, as well as x86 assembly.

There is 2 open source gc emus like gcube and dolwin,why not try to improve those?

Falcon4ever

Plugin coder / Betatester
Often people tend to act like they 'know' C++ and 'know' system architecture X. But emulation is totally different from common applications.

Since you're new I guess you should take a look at the rules of this (dolphin) forum.

IF you can give some examples of previous written emulators and/or other related projects which could be usefulll to the team the devs might consider inviting you. Otherwise don't even bother...

xtra krazzy

Dolphin Developer

I hate the NGC's instruction set...

x86/8087/x64 != gecko.

Falcon is right in this case. For instance, proper code minimization and optimization is needed to be known quite well, in conjunction with H/W understanding and instruction interpretation and/or recompilation(whatever is used in Dolphin).

Plus, you need previous work. A "curriculum vitae" of sorts as far as it goes for emulation and H/W similar to the NGC(gecko) structure in particular.

Hope I cleared things up. (EDIT: and got this right)

Last edited:
OP
R

Rigel

Since you're new I guess you should take a look at the rules of this (dolphin) forum.
Dude, I DID read the rules of the forum. I'm not asking to be a beta tester, I'm not asking for game images... the closest to breaking a rule I'm getting is the one about asking for the source code. However, even that I didn't directly break, as that's not really what I asked.

I just want to help make it better, as it obviously still needs a lot of work. I'm not trying to be critical here, but it's true - as it is right now, Dolphin is not usable. So, I want to help.

As for other open-source emulators, gcemu just crashes, and dolwin won't compile (four projects, all of them with multiple errors) - and neither of them have had their web pages updated in about a year and a half. Naturally, I thought I'd start with the project that seems the most complete, and most active. But, if the dolphin team doesn't feel ready to accept offers of help right now, then I'll consider working on a dead code-base isntead. Heck, maybe my interest can revive one of the other projects.