What's new

I need a new USB gamepad for my PC. Suggestions? (please read criteria first)

EmuNoviceUser

Just Having Fun
I want to buy a new USB gamepad for my computer. The problem is that I wasn't very picky with my last one and wasn't happy, but local stores never have a variety to choose from. What's worse, the model that I loved most hasn't been made for many years.

I primarily focus on N64 games and first-person PC games of all types when using a controller.

My favorite gamepad:
The controller that I have had that I absolutely loved the most (can't express that enough) was this Gravis Xterminator Force (attachments below)

The layout and feel was perfect. The control behaved like a joystick, with sensitivity based on how far you pushed it in a direction. 6 buttons on the front made for easy play of arcade-style games that required HP/LP, HK/LK, Block controls. Additionally, 4 buttons were on the back (instead of the top) of the controller which made using them very comfortable.

My "other" gamepad:
The other is a Saitek P990 which is very similar to your typical PlayStation DualShock controller except for having 6 buttons on the front. Frankly, I don't see how people can effectively use this controller or many like it without getting carpal tunnel! It felt unnatural trying to simultaneously use the tight joystick and buttons on top as if barely holding it, and the directional pad was no alternative since it was just as tight and not remotely pressure sensitive like the joystick. Yuck.

Bottom line:
I'm clueless where to go from here!

Thank you for taking the time to read, and I hope that many of you can help.

Attachments

• Gravis Xterminator Force - front.jpg
    Gravis Xterminator Force - front.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 902
  • Gravis Xterminator Force - back.jpg
    Gravis Xterminator Force - back.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 169
OP
EmuNoviceUser

EmuNoviceUser

Just Having Fun
No input at all?

I guess that it makes sense. I read around once and there was a positive comment, "Why don't they make them like this anymore?" But on the other hand, later I read a few "expert" reviews that gave it very low ratings claiming it was uncomfortable to hold (though I disagree) and that the use of a trackball swivel for the directional pad was a bad idea (which I find ironic since I found it far more comfortable than using either a typical D-pad or joystick which try to force themselves back to center.)

Oh well, I guess that I am just someone in the minority.

smcd

Currently the only gamepads I have are for the Wii (and gamecube), and some PS1/PS2 controllers with usb adapters, and the same with some n64 controllers. The last computer controller I bought was a Saitek, something akin to a P150 but not quite... I rarely see gamepads in stores anymore, and they aren't something I would want to buy without handling first :p