What's new

I need a bit of help here

Rom Manic

*SYSTEM ERROR*
Hey guys,

I'm trying to make a processors documentation page which will describe in great detail what each processor is and does. But firstly, I need fo figure out what they all are.

Any corrections/additions are greatly welcomed, but I'll be doing the documentation of each processor myself.

Thanks again :)

Last edited by a moderator:

smcd

Most of this information is on wikipedia, google something like 'wikipedia {system name}' and it should give you results (look under the 'technical specifications' part in the wiki)

example: google -> wikipedia nes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Entertainment_System

EDIT: by the way, going up a level on your site leads to links for ROMs etc. not sure if it's wise to post it here (just a thought)

Last edited:
OP
Rom Manic

Rom Manic

*SYSTEM ERROR*
I think you have been mislead, seth. There is no link there to anything rom related. You must be insane. You will be institutionalized

*SYSTEM ERROR*
End IF

smcd

misled? is not rom related? there are a handful of links to sites where people can download roms :plain: I've smudged out site names but have a screenshot of them w/o smudging too if need be

Last edited by a moderator:

blizz

Rom Manic: I've removed the link as it does indirectly link to ROM websites. The topic of this thread does have value, that's why it's still here.

Sethmcdoogle: thanks

FYI, Rom Manic would like to fill in the gaps on this list:

1. Introduction.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Since I know very little about many different processors out there, I've made this page to document them all, or as many as I can. It was better to do it this way, because then I can describe the generic components common to many processors on my FAQ page, and document them and any other major components throughly here.

2. The Processors.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Super Nintendo Entertainment System:
Main Processor: 65816
Sound Processor: SPC-700
Graphics Processor: C4
Graphics Processor: S-DD1

Nintendo Entertainment System:
Main Processor: NMOS 6502 (2A03)

Sega Genesis:
Main Processor: Zilog Z80

Commodore 64:
Main Processor: NMOS 6502

Gameboy Advance:

Gameboy Color:
Main Processor: Zilog Z80

Playstation:

Dreamcast:

Nintendo 64:

smcd

Yeah blizz sorry about the pic. thx for removing it :)

From wikipedia...
Sega Gensis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Genesis#Technical_specifications
Technical specifications

* Main CPU: 16-Bit Motorola M68000 16 bit processor running at 7.67 MHz
* Sound SPU: Zilog Z80A running at 3.58 MHz¹
* RAM: 64 Kbytes
* ROM: 1 Mbyte (8 Mbit)
* Video RAM: 64 Kbytes
* Graphics: VDP (Video Display Processor) dedicated VDP for playfield and sprite control
o 3 Planes, 2 Scrolling Playfields, 1 Sprite Plane
* Main sound Chip: Yamaha YM2612 6 channel FM, PC format name .GYM
* Additional sound chip: 4 channel Texas Instruments PSG (Programmable Sound Generator) SN76489
* Palette: 512 Colors
* Color RAM: 64 x 9 KBit
* Onscreen colors: 61 (up to 1536 using raster effects and Shadow/Highlight mode)
* Maximum onscreen sprites: 80
* Pixel Resolution: 320 x 224, 40 x 28 text display mode
* Signal/Noise Ratio: 14 dB
* Sound RAM: 8 Kbytes
* Outputs:
o Separate R.F aerial and R.G.B outputs
o (AUX connector - Genesis 1 only)
o Stereo headphone jack (original model only)
o 9 pin EXT port (early original model only)
* Expansion port on the bottom right hand side for Sega CD
* 2 nine pin controller ports in the front of the machine.
* note¹: Contrary to popular misconception, Model MK-1631 (Genesis 2) does have a Z80 CPU. Depending on the board revision, the system either has a Zilog Z84C00 or a Custom Sega 315-5676 or similar. Some people thought the Genesis 2 had no Z80 because the Power Base Converter did not work on it. The Power Base Converter does in fact function when connected to a Genesis 2. The only prohibiting factor is the shape of the device, as the Genesis 2's cartridge port is too far forward on the system to connect them without first removing the plastic housing of the Power Base Converter. Since, however, the Z80 is needed for sound production, the Genesis 2 has to include one to play games.

Dreamcast: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Dreamcast#Specifications
Specifications

* CPU: SH-4 RISC CPU with 128 bit graphic computational engine built-in (operating frequency: 206 MHz 360 MIPS/1.4 GFLOPS)
* Graphics Engine: PowerVR2 CLX2, capable of drawing around 7 million polygons per second (though rarely pushed this far; the models for the polygons would become a limiting factor, chipping away video memory for the textures)
* Memory: Main RAM: 16 MB (Hyundai (http://www.mcu-memory.com/datasheet/hynix/hy57v161610dtc.pdf)), Video RAM: 8 MB, Sound RAM: 2 MB
* Sound Card: Super Intelligent (Yamaha) Sound Processor with 47MHz 32-Bit RISC ARM7 CPU core built-in (64 channel PCM/ADPCM)
* GD-ROM Drive: 12x maximum speed (when running in Constant Angular Velocity mode)
* GD-ROM: Holds up to a gigabyte of data. A normal CD-ROM holds 700 megabytes.
* Inputs: USB-like "Maple Bus". Four ports support devices such as digital and analog controllers, steering wheels, joysticks, keyboards and mice, and more.
* Dimensions: 189 mm x 195 mm x 76 mm (7 7/16" x 7 11/16" x 3")
* Weight: 1.9 kg (4.4 lb)
* Color: White
* Modem: Removable; Original Asia/Japan model had a 33.6 kbit/s; models released after 9 September 1999 had a 56 kbit/s modem
* Broadband: these adapters are available separately and replace the removable modem

* HIT-400: "Broadband Adapter", the more common model, this used a Realtek 8139 chip and supported 10/100 Mbit
* HIT-300: "Lan Adapter", this version used a Fujitsu MB86967 chip and supported only 10 Mbit

* Color Output: Approx. 16.77 million simultaneous colors (24 bit)
* Storage: "Visual Memory Unit" (VMU) 128 Kb removable storage device and 4x memory cards that hold four times as much data

The other systems are on there as well as I said earlier. Enjoy

Last edited: