What's new

I felt bills wrath....

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
I uninstalled outlook express via xplite, (no point in having it there if I don't use it) configured thunderbird as my default email client, then clicked on an email link in mozilla.

UI controls froze for 30 seconds, then suddenly I see a messagebox saying it couldn't do something or other because "The default email client wasn't configured properly." I clicked OK, then right afterwards 80 or so internet explorer windows started appearing one by one (strange because mozilla is configured as my default web browser) til the UI controls froze again. I guess thats the punishment for not using OE and IE...

Zilla

夢を見られた
I use Mozilla/Moz Firebird in both Linux/Windows too. :D

Get Mozilla 1.6, then simply delete mshtml.dll (you'll need to annialate ActiveDesktop too, use TweakUI xp), forever crippling IE (If WFP is disabled)... :teehee:

:linux:

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
tell me when and how you get rid of both IE and OE properly. Im trying to do the same myself. Dont think I wanna run into that, though :p

2fast4u

i got rid of outlook express without problems, using firebird as default browser and thunderbird as mail client :D

Macca

i didnt bother uninstalling them, i just use fb/tb

ot - good to see an overseas living end fan 2fast, now you just have to get hooked on the casanovas (they supported them in their recent tour of oz)

2fast4u

Macca said:
ot - good to see an overseas living end fan 2fast, now you just have to get hooked on the casanovas (they supported them in their recent tour of oz)

unfortunately around here their albums are pretty expensive and rare even on ebay. well worth it tho :) havent heard anything by the casanovas yet, but will give it a shot eventually i suppose.

Last edited:

blizz

I got thunderbird to work with smtp servers after much arsing about, (needless arsing about I might add) but I just missed opera which is far more usable.

2fast4u

its actually easy to do once you figure out how it works. still the point stands its needlesly complicated.

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
The thing is, now that Im using fb/tb, theres no need in ie/oe taking up space in my harddrive. Also, I heard that windows automatically load parts of ie at startup by default. I was looking forward to removing em.

OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
pj64er: you can remove IE, although there are some downsides to it. Namely, like every application out there assumes that you have it installed, and some of them will not function without it, although they are far and few between. Diskeeper is an example of this.

Go grab a copy of xplite off of emule, it'll let you do it.

BTW, what problems were you guys having with thunderbird and SMTP servers? I set mine up seamlessly.

OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Well, even when you "remove" internet explorer, it still exists just now its very very well hidden.

To those that have removed IE: go to your run dialog, and type in c: then press enter, then in the explorer window that shows up, type in a web address. Sure enough, the explorer window suddenly turns into an internet explorer window. It seems to take some time to load up when you do this though, so it may not be memory resident when its not in use, unlike what it normally is (I could be wrong here though.) Yet still, when you have it like this, applications like diskeeper error out saying that you need at least internet explorer 5.5 installed (imagine that, a disk defragmenter requiring a web browser to function :ermm: )

Last edited:

2fast4u

AlphaWolf said:
BTW, what problems were you guys having with thunderbird and SMTP servers? I set mine up seamlessly.

the handling of mutliple smpt servers is needlessly complicated in thunderbird, takes a bit to figure out. that is basically all ;)

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
2fast4u said:
the handling of mutliple smpt servers is needlessly complicated in thunderbird, takes a bit to figure out. that is basically all ;)

It does take a bit to figure out, but now I rather like the way it works. I only wish the advanced window showed more than just the smtp server (it gave me some pain when I was trying to set up three accounts on the same server - couldn't figure out which was which. :p)

@Alpha: I suppose it's possible that uninstalling OE screwed up the email proggy registration in Windows. I dunno why it did that weird IE thing, though.

Last edited: