What's new

How to make Pefrect Dark and GE feel like PC FPS?

Veracity

Emu Controller Freak
How to make Perfect Dark and GE feel like PC FPS?

Perfect Dark and Goldeneye were are in my opinion the two best FPS shooters to ever grace the console. I think they would be perfect as FPS on the PC but I cant seem to get them configured properly.

Firstly, using NRage's plugin I set up GE so that the mouse is now the analog stick. Here is problem 1: it is slow and feels very unresponsive. If I crank up the sensitivity it goes nuts. So what settings should I use here?

Next, when I zoom in with an gun, GE has that annoying snap back feature where you aim not by simply moving the crosshairs but by moving and shooting at the same time. This is what kills the game the most. Is there any way to fix this?

Any other suggestion on how to make these games run like a perfect PC FPS? Thanks

:tr64:

Last edited:
I find this setup to work best with N-Rage for Goldeneye / Perfect Dark.
Make sure to set the control type to 1.2 in game.

pandamoan

Banned
CrzCorvette said:
I find this setup to work best with N-Rage for Goldeneye / Perfect Dark.
Make sure to set the control type to 1.2 in game.

that setup works better than MINE, but it's still not that great. (compared to real PC FPS games). i guess you'd have to have a hacked rom or something to really play it right.

:sigh:

OP
V

Veracity

Emu Controller Freak
pandamoan said:
that setup works better than MINE, but it's still not that great. (compared to real PC FPS games). i guess you'd have to have a hacked rom or something to really play it right.

:sigh:

Any codes or cheats that would not make the view snap back?

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
I found that Perfect Dark has lesser processor requirements than Goldeneye 007
by approximately 400 mhz less.

Clements

PDs requirements vary wildly depending on where you are in the game, and would require much more PC power than Goldeneye if the complex framebuffer elements such as Slayer camera, lens effects, Night Vision and Motion Blur were emulated, but they aren't in Jabo's plugin so there are hardly any slowdowns. Try using glN64() with PD with the framebuffer on!

More relevant to topic: Goldeneye and Perfect Dark will probably never work well with a PC mouse. The game was designed for use with an N64 controller *not* a mouse, so won't work like PC FPS do. I'd use a gamepad instead, better yet, an Official N64 Controller with Adaptoid.

I hate using the mouse anyway. FPS games on PC with the mouse are like point and click games as its too accurate, so I prefer using controllers as in Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and Metroid Prime where there ain't no super human 'turning on a tu'pence in a split second' gameplay.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Clements said:
PDs requirements vary wildly depending on where you are in the game, and would require much more PC power than Goldeneye if the complex framebuffer elements such as Slayer camera, lens effects, Night Vision and Motion Blur were emulated, but they aren't in Jabo's plugin so there are hardly any slowdowns. Try using glN64() with PD with the framebuffer on!

I never found that to be true with Jabo's GFX, because I remember back in 2002
with my Athlon T-bird 1.3 ghz processor, Perfect Dark performed well, while
I seemed to require a Athlon 1.6 ghz for Goldeneye 007 to stop looking slow-mo
when firing a gun.

Trotterwatch

Yes but Clements stated that when the emulation is accurate ie you want it as close to perfect as possible (at the moment) then PD takes a frame hit that makes it slower to emulate than GE.

It's all relative.

Like me comparing Mario Kart to Goldeneye - no competition Mario Kart is much faster. Enable framebuffer (for the screen), = much slower.