What's new

How is everyone enjoying the summer weather?

EmuFan

Emulation Fanatic
Well, i´m NOT! It is so freaking hot here! It´s 80.6 in the shade! And it´s a great deal of difference between the shade and the sun here, so in the sun i´m guessing about 95. It´s been warmer though, last summer we had 3 days of hot weather, the rest was just...depressing... So, what i would like to know is...What are you doing now? Vacation? Hammocking? Trying to stay cool? It´s hot as hell here, i tells ya! My cats look like they are DYING! I have to sprinkle them with water to keep cool! Then i have to sprinkle ME to keep cool..

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
It's fine here.
Rained yesterday and today, so great temperatur here. =)
But I have to agree it's really, really freaking hot here aswell if the sun is shing.
Wonder how will it end!? Day after tomorrow, anyone?

OP
E

EmuFan

Emulation Fanatic
HOLY FREAKING CRAP ! ! ! That is hot, alright. You poor bastard!

EDIT: It´s getting cooler outside...Thank freaking god!

Last edited:

A.I.

Banned
HOLY FREAKING CRAP ! ! ! That is hot, alright. You poor bastard!

EDIT: It´s getting cooler outside...Thank freaking god!

Well, in Melbourne its cold, average temp 14C. Very foggy mornings, sniffle. Would welcome sun. btw, cant believe ppl still use farenheit....

Toasty

Sony battery
I wish it would get hot here. Normally by this time of year we're in the 80's and low 90's. But so far we've been stuck in the 60's all spring. (That's in Fahrenheit, BTW. ;))

Toasty

Sony battery
Fine, fine, fine!
I wish it would get hot here. Normally by this time of year we're around 27-33 degrees. But so far we've been stuck in the 15-21 range all spring. (That's in Celsius, BTW. ;))
Make me get out my calculator... :angry:

OP
E

EmuFan

Emulation Fanatic
Well, in celsius it´s 27 here now...Still damn hot. And that´s in the shade.

Toasty

Sony battery
I know - I just meant it's been much cooler here than is normal this time of year. ;) (It usually gets hotter (up to ~40 C/105 F) later in the summer, but with spring going the way it is, I'm starting to wonder if we'll get any heat.)

A.I.

Banned
pop quiz: farenheit is commonly used to measure oven temperature; i use it all the time, i cook a roast at 250F.

Off topic: i cant believe in this world of technology, Americans still use the old imperial system, miles, inches, feet, etc. I mean, really, catch up with the rest of the world, cmon!

And then there's the bastdation of the English language, but i digress... But what really irrates me is unnecessary changing meaning of words, like: Fly, which in my fricken mind means only one thing; fly, eg. Superman can fly. When i hear that song: Pretty fly for a white guy (sorry cant remember correct title) it make my blood boil. Celsius btw...

Sorry, farenheit pushed me over the edge, he is evil... :p

Edit:Actually it really brings up an interesting question, when Americans have spelling bees do they follow the rules of the English or American language? It's kind of hypocritical, ahem if they dont use correct spelling...

Last edited:

smcd

On the subject of summer weather... it's finally warming up here, not that I really enjoy warm/hot weather.

Further derailing the topic... For terminology such as "fly" it is often due to certain subcultures (which I will not name) and rarely reaches mainstream use. In defense of the Offspring, I do believe they were largely making fun of posers and people who use such terminology :p

Toasty

Sony battery
Gray vs grey.
Color vs colour.
Theater vs theatre.
Center vs centre.
Fahrenheit vs Celsius.
Miles vs kilometers vs kilometres.
Quarts vs liters vs litres.

Ironically, all of the words on the far right are caught as spelling errors in Firefox, with the exception of Celsius, even though they're the original and 'correct' spelling of the word.

It'd be nice if everyone used one or the other, but I think we just tend to use what we know and grow up with. I think in miles, pounds and degrees Fahrenheit, so like I said, if I want to give out figures using metric, I have to whip out the calculator (or spend a minute doing it in my head). And as far as spelling goes, hey, the English language is ridiculous no matter what 'style' (American or English) you use:

tomb
comb
bomb

:D
It's a wonder anyone but native speakers can learn our crazy language.

A.I.

Banned
Thats why in real life i just grunt and use sign language...

And back to topic: When you out in the sun don't forget to slip, slop, slap! And if you dont want to fry your eyes, where sunnies!
avagoodweekend!

Clements

It rained most of yesterday when I was looking for rented accommodation in Norwich, Norfolk. Met some nice people at one property though, so it wasn't so bad.

Allnatural

These past few days have been the first "hot" days this season. It's been unusually pleasant otherwise.

Cyberman

AI ... I think you simply don't understand much of anything regarding the US. Also I think you need to study about the history of English.

Unfortunately we have wacko's here like everywhere. They have there own silly agenda's. As for what is English, at least I can understand the BBC as long as they don't add British slang (such as the word 'bonk' for example means something completely different in the US, can you imagine "Bonk's Adventures" in the UK people would be saying "What The ... " must be made by a bunch of vulgarians!). I watch the BBC for news, because quite frankly our networks aren't news networks they are an example of a global disgrace. :D Don't get me wrong the british have there share of idiots too! unforttunately English is mostly the same for you between the US and the rest of the world (IE what are you having trouble with? Slang or the real language?). Some things are different namely the biggest one being the use of comma's (or should I say abuse of comma's) in the UK.

I read technical papers and start laughing sometimes because, well if it's ment as a punctuation mark somehow, I'll never figure out HOW it's supposed to be used in the UK (in fact I read a memo to British government workers about the random and over use of comma's, I hadn't realized that most people just did whatever with commas in the UK and there really aren't rules). I can't believe how bad some of the grammer and spelling errors are from the US either. It's as if "l33t" speak has infected the general population's grammer and spelling.

Oddly, even though I work as an engineer, (actually a firmware engineer) I spend a lot of time thinking about language. I believe in EMutalk most do well with there english (although I have a hard time with the use of slang, to be blunt no one should really use slang here it's hard enough to deal with US slang [as half of it I don't understand myself]).

The US is very conservative in many ways, people have been trying to 'Evangelize' the US with metric since the 40's. I think in general people are totally ignorant in how they use things here. I heard a professor (in the US ) say we will use Metric because it's more scientific, I asked him "Is the measurement system the science, or is the science in the measuring?" Needless to say he was quite embarassed (as he should have been). To be honest I don't care if the measurement is in metric or english, save one area, English units with distances are a bit easier since it's much easier to divide by 2 than 10 (yes it will take a bit to think about this). English fractions are more 'binary' if you didn't notice LOL. (bit pun had to be done). However I convert them in my head all the time, it's actually faster to compute a distance in English units and convert to metric than to try and figure it out with metric units for me. (even though it seems decimal would be simpler, it's not in many cases, since seldom are things in reality a convient division of 10).

Erstwhile the temperature thing is a bit amusing too me. 40C in what RH? If it's 10% RH that's actually COOL. If it was 80% RH then it's hot. The realitive humidity determines how affective the body can cool itself through evaporation. I've lived in 41C 80% humidity and it SUCKS (damn hot). Right now it's 35C at 75% out and that is unconfortable.

Cyb

PS: This is quite funny but seems like flaming too me huh? :D

Last edited:
OP
E

EmuFan

Emulation Fanatic
People, just for the record...I only used Fahrenheit measuring for your convenience, at least for those who use it. Personally, i always use Celsius measuring.

Topic: It is cloudy here now, a bit windy. It´s rather pleasant, really. Perfect temperature. I think it will rain tomorrow.