What's new

How do you fix sound issues with No$GBA?

ofirissmart

The sound sounds really corrupt and annoying to hear, when the characters talk everything sounds like a radio that's tuned wrong or something >_>; Are there any fixes or anything?

Ma Chao

Proud Warrior
What game are you having issues with? Some games do have bad sounds, it's emulator-related and there's nothing you can do.

OP
O

ofirissmart

It's like this with nearly every game I play, the only exception is Phoenix Wright games which seem to work fine. I've played a lot of other games and all of them have bad sound appearently.

Ma Chao

Proud Warrior
Then all your other games must really have bad sound quality on the emulator, and being that the case, there's nothing you can do to have better audio quality on those.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
If you have that many problems, then the culprit isn't No$Gba, but your sound hardware and its drivers

Ma Chao

Proud Warrior
If you have that many problems, then the culprit isn't No$Gba, but your sound hardware and its drivers

Lots of games do have audio problems. It would be weird to be a hardware problem, seeing he doesn't have any issues with PW.

EDIT: He created a thread on NGEmu with the same question, and mentioned he was trying to play New Super Mario Bros and Professor Layton. Mario games are know for bad sounds even on the latest no$gba

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Had none of that with my games. Oh well. Maybe I'm just playing the wrong games then. :/

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Some sound hardware sucks. Tell me, what IS your sound hardware? If its SoundMax, then the card will not react right with certain formats (It should favor Floating Point sound the best) but I'm not aware of a way to get No$GBA to convert it to a different format for you.

GamerAeon

Well I know for a FACT New Super Mario Bros. has a few sound glitches and Mario 64 DS also sounds like it's in a bucket but then again so did the Original N64 version.

I'd check on your drivers though and see if they need updating.:pacman:

darktemplar668

ive had the same problem with most of the "yu-gi-oh" games but other then those i havent had any sound problems at all (the yu gi oh ones are terrible x_x)

GamerAeon

I have built-in sound myself and while it's not an Audigy X2 Gamer it gets the job done most of the time.

But like anyone else will tell you, Built-in Anything that has to process something sucks loads:matrix:

FlotsamX

No$GBA's creator Martin Korth has not focused on sound issues since v 1.4. Right now, he's primarily focusing on getting the speed stable and the graphics smooth, which as I'm sure you'll agree, is much more important. He will probably get to working on the sound though, don't worry.

darktemplar668

No$GBA's creator Martin Korth has not focused on sound issues since v 1.4. Right now, he's primarily focusing on getting the speed stable and the graphics smooth, which as I'm sure you'll agree, is much more important. He will probably get to working on the sound though, don't worry.

Agreed. :stupid:

TLTD

I seem to be having more issues since I have got newer computers with dual core processors and higher end graphics cards. I started to even have problems in Null DC (the dreamcast emulator). In Null DC, it was a simple fix I just needed to increase the size of the sound buffer. I'm guessing the same thing will fix this also. Some games I think are just written totally different for the hardware on the DS because some sound is excellent along with the graphics, but some games are running more hardware and operations or something.

But that noise is definately the same kind of thing I was hearing in Null DC until I found out about the buffer fix. Somewhere in no$gba there must be a line of code for that I'm sure.

About 5 years ago I first noticed problems in emulators. I accidentally discovered that using a pro sound card like an MAudio relieves the processors quite a bit. Audigy and all that stuff is a joke and waste of money compared to a good audio card. Unfortunately, I had to sell my audio card and monitoring speakers but if you can, get a real card and some audio monitoring speakers because they blow your head off and also sound good at lower levels. You don't know what you are missing until you can hear a large range of frequency with no noise.

Last edited: