What's new

Here comes the NEW Nintendo DS!

JuGz

Heavy Metal Master
060126.jpg

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/news/060126.html

This will be the new restyling of this lucky console, very Ipod/Revolution style. Better screen (you'll be able to switch between 4 levels of brightness now), better materials and smaller size.

Price should be 119 euros in Japan and it's expected for the end of March 2006.

What do you think?

I already own one, but this restyling kicks ass for sure. I think I'll give the old one to my girlfriend. :D

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
It looks identical to the original, i'm not buying it. I was expecting something more sleek.

OP
JuGz

JuGz

Heavy Metal Master
ScottJC said:
It looks identical to the original, i'm not buying it. I was expecting something more sleek.

Well it's a restyling afterall.
It doesn't look identical, it's thinner and smaller. I don't think they could do better than this, you have to arrange 2 screens, 1 d pad and 6 buttons. Also you have to care about the ergonomicy. :)

2fast4u

heh way to go nintendo, this is basically the gba-->gba sp evolution all over again. could this be a money grab? oh god no.

OP
JuGz

JuGz

Heavy Metal Master
2fast4u said:
heh way to go nintendo, this is basically the gba-->gba sp evolution all over again. could this be a money grab? oh god no.

Well, GBA SP wasn't just a restyling, it was the same console with heavy changes like front lights and a new lithium battery. That's pretty different, imo. The new DS is not necessary like the SP was.

blizz

Well, I did hold back on the original design because it looked like a waffle iron... I'll buy one!

Although nintendo need to be really careful about this sort of thing, it could kill of first adopters, and therefore any market penetration. They need to get the right design out first time.

2fast4u

JuGz said:
Well, GBA SP wasn't just a restyling, it was the same console with heavy changes like front lights and a new lithium battery. That's pretty different, imo. The new DS is not necessary like the SP was.

the key thing is that nintendo updated a pretty new handheld with changes that should have been there from the start. the restyling is mostly an approach towards collectors because there is enough people out there who will buy another one just for the hell of it, that was worked with the gb for a long time. but aside from that its just tossing in a few new features that arent really worth mentioning to justify another edition of the same thing.

Last edited:
OP
JuGz

JuGz

Heavy Metal Master
2fast4u said:
the key thing is that nintendo updated a pretty new handheld with changes that should have been there from the start. the restyling is mostly an approach towards collectors because there is enough people out there who will buy another one just for the hell of it, that was worked with the gb for a long time. but aside from that its just tossing in a few new features that arent really worth mentioning to justify another edition of the same thing.

True, that's why I said that's different from the switch between GBA and GBA SP.
Anyway, a better design could help the sellings in Europe and USA.