What's new

HELP! User Profile Damaged

DarthDazDC

An Alright Guy
This mornin I turned the computer on and it said that the user profile was damaged, so im now on a temporary one! I've tried to copy the user profile to a new one in the user settings, but it keeps sayin:
'security - cyclic redundancy check' so it wont let me copy! wot am i supposed to do!

JinXD

"security - cyclic redundancy check" - sounds like your hard drive is on the way out. If I were you I'd be looking to back up everything you need to CD/DVD and run some diagnostics on the HDD.

OP
DarthDazDC

DarthDazDC

An Alright Guy
oh crap no, I've been backin up loadsa stuff so far, do u think i should consider gettin a new hard drive straight away?

OP
DarthDazDC

DarthDazDC

An Alright Guy
what type of hard drive is best? The one thats in now is a Western Digital, so now that's failing that's not a good make :p what would be the name of a good company that makes hard drives??

JinXD

I'd run diagnostics on the thing first, if that shows there is a fault then check out the warranty for the drive see if you are eligible for a replacement. For all you know it mught not be a faulty HDD.....

Eagle

aka Alshain
cyclic redundancy check doesn't necesarily mean your hard drive is failing. CRC (in simple terms) is a checksum for files to ensure they are not corrupt. It actually has more technical meaning but for your purposes it means the files are screwed up. This could be caused by a failing hard drive, but it could be caused by any number of things, including a virus.

OP
DarthDazDC

DarthDazDC

An Alright Guy
well ive run a diagnostice, and it found a few bad sectors but repaired them, but i still cant copy the user profile thst i used before all this happened to a new one, but im worried if this will happen again in the near future, ass ive been readin up about western digial hard drives and found that they are likely to fail in the first 8 months of purchase

Eagle

aka Alshain
DarthDazDC said:
well ive run a diagnostice, and it found a few bad sectors but repaired them, but i still cant copy the user profile thst i used before all this happened to a new one, but im worried if this will happen again in the near future, ass ive been readin up about western digial hard drives and found that they are likely to fail in the first 8 months of purchase

OK, now that you have confirmed it was indeed a hard drive problem, get rid of it. Its not worth the risk to hope that more bad sectors won't crop up later. As for Western Digital drives failing in the first 8 months of purchase, well I have 3 WD drives all 4 years or more old and another one I just bought. I've only had one fail and that was my own stupidity... I shoved live power into the circuit board on the bottom, I really can't reccomend doing that.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
DarthDazDC said:
what type of hard drive is best? The one thats in now is a Western Digital, so now that's failing that's not a good make :p what would be the name of a good company that makes hard drives??

Maybe you should give Maxtor a try, because I have been having good luck with my Maxtor HDDs, including my 13 GB 7,200 RPM HDD from November, 1999.

There has never even been a single bad sector with that HDD.

Been also hearing good things about Seagate.

JinXD

I've had a few problems with Maxtor, 1 DOA and 1 failing after 6 months on the job. That being siad I have still got 3 which are running fine after a year now, so it's not all bad news. Also a fan of WD, not a single failure with my 250GB SATA drive!