What's new

help is needed!

punisher001

Everyone gets what he deserves
Hello all! i would like to start writing an emulator and i would really appreciate it if somw could give some links where there are documents explaining how emulators work and tutorials on how to make an emulator! Thanks!:bouncy:

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
Do you know anything about how to code in c++? If you don't know you better start reading som c++ guide. But if you can program, look in the programming section on this site.

refraction

PCSX2 Coder
learn some C or C++ to get yourself started, a good tutorial for this would be on http://www.cplusplus.com the code is quite C orientated there.

once youve done that have a look at the chip8 thread, its the easiest and best project to get started on :)

blueshogun96

A lowdown dirty shame
My personal reccomendation: another good thing that can help when coding an emulator is learning its assembly language. Try learning to code some apps for your chip8 emu in its asm language and then when you write your cpu core, you will understand everything like the back of your hand :) I don't know about everyone else, but this works for me.

Also, if you havent seen this already, click on the link to the emu programming tutorial below:

http://www.emutalk.net/programming/30272-neat-emulator-programming-tutorial.html

OP
punisher001

punisher001

Thanks for your help guys :) I will learn C++ and Assembly !!! The programming languages i know for now are Delphi and visual basic! Am i able to code an emulator using one of the above languages?

Cyberman

punisher001 said:
Thanks for your help guys :) I will learn C++ and Assembly !!! The programming languages i know for now are Delphi and visual basic! Am i able to code an emulator using one of the above languages?
You can.. but it would be unwise in order to remain sane.

Delphi would be fine, it's primarily a RAD language, and with it's extensions it essentially has become like C++ (only Pascal like C++ ;) ). So this would be the better candidate. However the real problem is the number of Delphi programers in comparison to C++ programers. I know you could always go to borland's news groups for help... however the emulation comunity at large is more likely to be able to give you ideas about how to do something emulation specific. So apart from that.. sure :D

Cyb

OP
punisher001

punisher001

thanx for ya answer Cyberman! I have an other question: I want to code a PSP emu (core, gfz, sound, input). Because i am bored of learning c++ am i able to do it by using Visual Basic 5?

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
No, you can't do it with VB. It isn't nearly as fast enough.

another good thing that can help when coding an emulator is learning its assembly language
Mehh... kind of a waste of time and like Cyberman said, you're sanity. Better to have a good understanding of C/C++ than a half-assed understanding of both. I'd coded a couple of emulators and I don't know a damn thing in assembly (except the little I memorized just from reading cpu docs). But then again, if you have tons of free time, learning assembly doesnt hurt.

OP
punisher001

punisher001

Thanx for you reply ShizZie. I think i will learn C++. This is the only way! Could please someone give me some links where i can find PSP architecture info? Bye!

Toasty

Sony battery
punisher001 said:
Thanx for you reply ShizZie. I think i will learn C++. This is the only way! Could please someone give me some links where i can find PSP architecture info? Bye!
Hold your horses. :happy: Your first emulation project shouldn't be the PSP unless you intend to drive yourself nuts, especially if you're using a language you're new to. Start with something simple - the Chip8 is a great newcomer project. And don't even start that until you have a good grasp of programming in C++.

OP
punisher001

punisher001

Maybe you re right toasty! :D I ll start a chip8 emu! thanks for you re help guys!

Cyberman

punisher001 said:
So you decided to climb mount everest have you?
Or wait you decided to compete in the olympics?
Think carefully how much work goes into such an endevor :D

Start small and get experience as people have advised you. PSP is pretty new and little is available on it. Just like you can't compete in the olympics unless you first are actually participating in track and field for example :D It takes a lot of blood sweat and tears. These are UNAVOIDABLE I might point out, if you wish to reach a goal. By the time you are ready to do something the next big thing will be there for you :)

Cyb