What's new

Help deciding on gfx card

revl8er

That Damn Good
I just got through ordering a new cpu, mobo, and memory and I'm planning on getting a new graphics card, but the problem is I usually order nvidia cards, but the mobo I got only supports crossfire and not sli, so I'm planning on getting a couple of ati cards. Any ideas on what cards would be good to use, but not too expensive. I'd like to get cards that I could buy for under $200 separate at least.

Btw, how is this upgrade I'm doing:

G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor

ASUS M2R32-MVP AM2 AMD 580X CrossFire ATX AMD Motherboard

All for $185.

SuperSonic2K

Lord of the Flies
I'll have to agree with everyone else here, despite being partial to NVIDIA myself. Though if you did have the cash to burn, the 4-way CrossFire option is mighty tempting lol.

OP
R

revl8er

That Damn Good
right now running at 720p, but if possible i wanna try 1080i with the new card if my tv will support it. Running it on a 32" tv right now.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
mmm, you are better with 720p. If your TV is 32" I bet 1366x768 is the max resolution, so if I were you, I would stick with 720p and don't buy another 4870 for now...

OP
R

revl8er

That Damn Good
wasn't planning on getting one anytime soon, just might throw another one when the prices drop some

OP
R

revl8er

That Damn Good
Ok, didn't want to make a new thread, but what would you guys recommend doing for my drives. My motherboard only had 1 IDE connector and my hard drive was an older IDE model so I was wondering if I should switch to SATA for my HD and get a bigger one. If I do go with a SATA drive I could easily back-up my files on my external HD or is there a way to completely copy my hard drive to another drive, that way I don't have to reinstall windows?

gokuss4

Meh...
I used Acronis True image to copy my contents of my old IDE hard drive to a SATA drive and it worked like a charm, no problems. Acronis was like a godsend.