What's new

Half-Life 2 retail - steam activation MANDATORY?!

OP
Stalkid64

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
AlphaWolf said:
Bingo. I don't care how solid you think your copy protection is, crackers always get around it.
And the "end user pirates" who only have to unrar and play will end up with the better option because of it. It's a sad precident for the software industry.

willljjj

Banned
Stalkid64 said:
And the "end user pirates" who only have to unrar and play will end up with the better option because of it. It's a sad precident for the software industry.

I always get the cracked version, even of games I buy because I HATE the copy protection garbage.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
On the other side I don't have a problem with reasonable copy protections (steam activation is not reasonable) but I use NO-CD patches or ISO images when possible just to avoid putting the CD in the drive whenever I want to play :)

euphoria

Emutalk Member
I have no internet connection at my home, where i play. Is the system so smart that you can transfer the activation to my home machine? I doubt it.

This sucks big time!

Jaz

Ex-Mod
vampireuk said:
You really cannot resist trying to complain about something can you?

And you really cannot resist replying with something sarcastic to every one of his posts. Grow up dude. :plain:

smcd

willljjj said:
I always get the cracked version, even of games I buy because I HATE the copy protection garbage.

Agreed. I play Popcap games, but get them through RealOne Arcade, since I know how to knock off their "protection" stuff and can make backups :)

2fast4u

DuDe said:
We're not living in fucking 1995 you know, I doubt that there are many gamers out there who aren't connected to the Internet.

the real question is whether you want a game to connect to the internet for no practical reason. i think i would pass on that one. personally i would (means i _would_ if i would give a damn about the genre) buy the game then apply the usual crack and presto. valve has no damn business making people register to play their stuff offline.

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
And the last question of this online registration f*ck is: what will be transfered to check every time that's you're PC... I don't like phoning to home, not with my OEM (not pirated) WinXP and not with my (upcoming and not pirated too) HL2!
And again the point go to the pirates!

MasterPhW

And the last question of this online registration f*ck is: what will be transfered to check every time that's you're PC... I don't like phoning to home, not with my OEM (not pirated) WinXP and not with my (upcoming and not pirated too) HL2!
And again the point go to the pirates!

Cheezey

Banned
Stalkid64 said:
So... you need to install steam (that buggy, bloated pile of garbage delivery system), register an account and have an internet connection... To install a singleplayer boxed retail copy of the game I'm paying £30+ for? Ha ha ha. Good one. :happy:

What? They're serious? Hm, smacks a little of "Microsoft" syndrome. Screw that then. I just lost interest. :bye3:
*Kills amazon preorder*.

WHINE, WHINE, WHINE.

So your going to install it on a pc with a internet connection and your going to have to install steam. Of course your going to have to do, the game will be patched through steam the game requires steam installed for this reason. If you dont want to install steam guess what you aint playing the game.

If you cant except that and want to continue posting this moaning drivel, #care tbfh.

:whistling

MasterPhW

Cheezey said:
WHINE, WHINE, WHINE.

So your going to install it on a pc with a internet connection and your going to have to install steam. Of course your going to have to do, the game will be patched through steam the game requires steam installed for this reason. If you dont want to install steam guess what you aint playing the game.

If you cant except that and want to continue posting this moaning drivel, #care tbfh.

:whistling
And why do you post this SIX times???!!! Delete your other 5 posts, please!!!

Gorxon

Administrator
Work, work, work...

6 posts...how did you manage to do that if not on purpose?
I have deleted the posts for you, but next time either delete them yourself, notify me or the only way I will be helpful is shoving your account out the door.

revl8er

That Damn Good

The bad part about pirated games is no multiplayer. Sure they get the better deal for the most part but if they want to play multiplayer then they have to buy the game.

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
I think it is pathetic and I hate warez kiddies who whine about everything. The fact is to play a single player game on your computer you should not have to be connected to the internet.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Gorxon said:
Work, work, work...

I have deleted the posts for you, but next time either delete them yourself, notify me or the only way I will be helpful is shoving your account out the door.

Well I dunno about that but earlyier emutalk was taking ages to respond to my "submit replys" on another thread, i clicked a few times and 4 posts popped up, had to delete three of them.

OP
Stalkid64

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
Gorxon said:
Work, work, work...

Actually I had the same problem this morning. The site didn't appear to be refreshing to display a post even after a couple of minutes wait, I just happened to have time to erase a few before running out for work. MasterPhW_DX appears to have posted the same thing twice as well which may be the same deal..? Just a little issue I guess; I sometimes get "high server usage" messages up in IE when I try post or send PM's the last 2 or 3 days, so people may not be totally to blame.
EDIT: Like I'm having right now in fact! 4 extra posts. Didn't even appear when I went out and refreshed the page between attempts.

Last edited:

Gorxon

Administrator
Alright, seems like it is a server issue then. I have also noticed problems lately, but it always accepts my posts. The server's resources seem to be drained for some reaon. I'll try to notify Martin when I see him, but he has been gone for a day or so.