What's new

Goldeneye available on Wii?

Jaz

Ex-Mod
Well according to GamePro, Nintendo have pledged that Goldeneye will be available for Wii users to download as part of their retro service.

So far, Nintendo, Sega, and Hudson have pledged titles that will be available for play, with other companies sure to sign on before launch. Here are 15 titles that should be available and are worth a brief trip back in time.

GoldenEye 007 (Nintendo/N64)
Originally Released in 1997

Developed by Rare, GoldenEye 007 was an oddity in that it was one of the first games based on a movie that didn't suck. In fact, this adaptation of the first Pierce Brosman Bond movie is regarded as one of the finest titles created for the Nintendo 64. The lengthy one-player game was filled with challenging missions, but more important, GoldenEye 007 was the first console first-person shooter to do multiplayer effectively, albeit it split-screen. Just imagine what would happen if the game allowed online multiplayer skirmishes...

Whilst this is naturally super news (if it's true), I must ask the following:

a) Microsoft now own Rare, so does that mean they own the rights to Goldeneye?

b) If they do, then would they allow it to come out on a rival system instead of trying to get it onto their Xbox Live Marketplace?

c) Don't EA own an exclusive Bond license? Surely if Goldeneye were to be "re-published" then EA would have something to say about it?

Discuss. :)

Stezo2k

S-2K
Shocking.... I hope this is just a romour. I was just about to mention point A, MS/Rare should own the rights. Maybe they've paid Rare for the privilage? Who knows

I personally was hoping it would come to xbox live arcade but looks even less likely now :( spose perfect dark zero is the nearest thing to it on the 360. If only it had the GE maps

WhiteX

A - It says on Gamespot that Nintendo published it, they sure paid to have the rights to this game instead of Rare, that only developed it, it is the same as saying that Inticreates have the rights over Megaman Zero, not Capcom.

B - Read A.

C - It is the same as selling the N64 Cart till this day, only on antoher media, i don´t see how EA would have rights to that, the ROM image is the same, the Wii would add functionality by it´s own, but the game is the same.

Stezo2k

S-2K
I hope that isn't the case, its a shame if Nintendo have rights to it even though they didn't develop it.... still not everything is fair really

Don't really fancy getting a Wii just for goldeneye

WhiteX

Come on, dude, it is not only for Goldeneye...

Wii will have awesome games and innovative interface alongside vintage gaming.

Stezo2k

S-2K
Heh true, I was highly dissapointed with the gamecube tbh so i've got low expectations of the Wii myself. I do like the concept of the remote type controller though but it probably is only going to work well with certain genres

I might end up with one if the games take my fancy. The emulation aspect doesn't really interest me (my xbox1 will emulate most consoles fine) if the games are going to have more features like online play though I would be interested

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
You are pessmistic. Everyone must have a Revolution.
The gamecube was a loveable console. Only problem was 3rd paty support. Otherwise it would have become THE best console. Best horsepower AND least waiting times.

WhiteX

I´ll do the same i did with the DS, i´ll wait close to one year after Wii and PS3 releasae, then i´ll see what i will get.

Shpongled

News Junkie
WhiteX said:
Come on, dude, it is not only for Goldeneye...

Wii will have awesome games and innovative interface alongside vintage gaming.

Dude, the controller opens up almost ENDLESS possibilities!

First, there's that game with the big hammer. You swing your remote control around and the guy on the screen swings his 2-handed hammer the same way, how sick is that?!

Playing a Mario Tennis game, swing the remote in your hand like a raquet to hit the tennis ball...

Imagine this in some sort of Star Wars game???! Swing your remote like a lightsaber to destroy Stormtroopers as a Jedi!

I haven't bought a system since the Dreamcast, this will definitely get me back on the console bandwagon! :bouncy: WOOT, CAN'T WAIT!

Dysprosium

Graphics Designer
WhiteX said:
A - It says on Gamespot that Nintendo published it, they sure paid to have the rights to this game instead of Rare, that only developed it, it is the same as saying that Inticreates have the rights over Megaman Zero, not Capcom.
That would also mean that Nintendo could put all of Rare's titles released for the Nintendo 64 (save Conker's Bad Fur Day) on the Wii's Virtual Console. It also means that we will not see a lot of the titles prior to Donkey Kong Country on Wii, due to them being published by Milton Bradley.

Hmm, nice to see there is some chance of it making an appearance.

BlueFalcon7

Shpongled said:
Imagine this in some sort of Star Wars game???! Swing your remote like a lightsaber to destroy Stormtroopers as a Jedi!
I have actually heard rumors about one like that actually in the making.

My theory on this whole Wii-mote sort of thing, is that nintendo did it because of us at emutalk. In other words, its purpose is anti-emulation, make the system harder to emulate. But at least they did it in a cool way =]

Alan!

too cynical to speak
The Wii will officially now rape the entire competition. I really hope this is real.

OP
Jaz

Jaz

Ex-Mod
Stezo2k said:
I personally was hoping it would come to xbox live arcade.

Yeah same here mate. :(

But I'll be getting a Wii anyway, so I'm not bothered. But I think it would suit the Xbox better - just imagine online Goldeneye.

Alan!

too cynical to speak
Jaz said:
Yeah same here mate. :(

But I'll be getting a Wii anyway, so I'm not bothered. But I think it would suit the Xbox better - just imagine online Goldeneye.

Erm... Wii has WiFi. But then again, it has that friggin' friend code crap.

Slougi

Anyone know what the status for SNES/NES games on the Wii is? Or will there only be N64 games? I'm not really following the news on this.