What's new

GCEmu 20051211 Released

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Category: <b>GameCube</b><br><br>GCEmu is GameCube emulator for Windows. It has been in development for about one year and it's capable of running commercial games.
Here is what one of the authors has to say about this release:

GCEmu is a very incomplete emulator for the Nintendo Gamecube.
It uses recompilation techniques and some other tricks to achieve a reasonable speed.
Although emulation is very incomplete, this emulation shows that 'it can be done' and can be done at a decent speed.

Where Dolphin Emu shows that the emulation can be done, GCEmu shows that it can be done at speed.
This is because the different focus. Where the Dolphin guys hate to do cpu emulation (especially recompilers)
this is exactly what I (Tratax) have been playing with since PSEmu.

It was made using Visual Studio C++ using pure C code and a few bits of assembler.

You can visit the SourceForge page of this project for more info.

:: GCEmu Project Page (SourceForge)
:: GCEmu 20051211

bositman

Heh i think you should mention that the psx gpu plugins fame Pete and the old PsemuPro authors are working on this,should get more attention and less doubts ;)

OP
PsyMan

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
bositman said:
Heh i think you should mention that the psx gpu plugins fame Pete and the old PsemuPro authors are working on this,should get more attention and less doubts ;)
I decided to leave it as a surprise to those who decide to click the Sourceforge or the download link. At least Pete is mentioned to both and Tratax is self-mentioned in the quote from the readme... hehe :p

Last edited:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I meant 3D games Psyman... not bust a move, I don't mean to be cynical but Bust a move running fast is nothing new.

Last edited:
OP
PsyMan

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Hey! It's not my fault that I don't have any other games. :p
Just wait until all these Naruto kiddies learn that it runs Naruto (fast). Then I'll get my revenge. :evil:

spotanjo3

Yeah...we want to see you get your revenge :p

by the way, this is a good starter. Thanks so much for this awesome emu as well as dolphin. We will see whats happened..maybe a great speed and less graphic just like ePSXe in the future. ;)

Clements

Tested some games with it.

- Animal Crossing (U) - Does not work, black screen followed by green screen.

- Bust-a-Move 3000 (U) - Works, some minor graphics errors in menus, ~25-29fps.

- Crazy Taxi (U) - Gets through menus, shows demo with graphics glitches. If you try to go in-game you get a green screen.

- Four Sword Adventures (U) - Shows Nintendo Logo, then a pale blue screen which doesn't go further.

- Luigi's Mansion (E) - Shows Nintendo Logo, doesn't go further.

- Nintendo Puzzle Collection (J) - In-game, graphics errors.

- Paper Mario RPG (J) - Shows Nintendo and Intelligent Systems logos, then shows a green screen.

Screens:

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
Crazy Taxi running at 15fps is pretty impressive... I'd imagine that's playable if it can be taken in game.

Low Lines

Yippe!!
Finally the Gamecube emulation has begun to move again, it's really disappointing to know that NGC only has maybe about half a year left before it becomes extinct like N64, maybe it'll happen like Ultra64, you know, as the console moves off the shelves, emulation suddenly takes a great jump.
I've got a fair few popular Gamecube games, ie Super Smash Bros Melee, so I'll get to work and check em out!!
Emulation rules!!

Low Lines

I love the Gamecube, almost as much as I love N64. I would never deliberately try to hate it or anything, it's just looking at the facts (Dolwin's been silent for a while and Dolphin is supposedly in it's final stages, hence the name they are giving it, and GCube has been discontinued) I know this sounds bad, but to me it just seems that Gamecube development has subsided (or at least is going that way). I know it's not my place to be whining about it, and I most definitely do not mean to say things wrongly, Gamecube emulation has my support, cos if I knew anything about programming at all, I'd honestly be in there trying to do something myself, but Flash is my limit for now...

Oh and can anyone tell me about SSE2 and how do I know if my computer has it? I'm guessing it doesn't, which means I can't test the emulator...I hope there will be possible OS versions that I could use (though I'm guessing SSE2 is where the speed is coming from). PCSX2 has this thingo too, though I haven't really looked at it much since I have few games in which to test on it.

And if you know me and what I've been doing, you should check out this thread and see my last post.

Clements

Low Lines said:
Oh and can anyone tell me about SSE2 and how do I know if my computer has it? I'm guessing it doesn't, which means I can't test the emulator...I hope there will be possible OS versions that I could use (though I'm guessing SSE2 is where the speed is coming from).

SSE2 is not required to use the emulator, but perhaps uses it I'm not sure. You can find out if your processor has it was a tool such as CPU-Z:

http://www.cpuid.org/cpuz.php

OP
PsyMan

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Since the emulator has SSE 2 activation throught its options (and it's enabled by default) it's certain that the emulator uses it to some extent. The only required thing to run it is a card supporting Pixel Shaders 2 as it seems.

Excluding the speed there's another thing that I like about GCEmu... I love the fullscreen option. :D

Low Lines

Thanks for the CPU-Z thing.

Okay Clements,
I used that CPU-Z thingy and it had the Instrutions Textbox displaying this.

Instructions : MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3

What does that mean?? The emu said that my processor was either not compatibile or that SSE2 was disabled. How do you enable it and how will this affect the overall performance of the CPU?? (Sorry, but I'm a little bit weary when it comes to these things!!)

There's not much point now though since I'm stuck with that shader problem, but I assume that if I changed the settings it would make PCSX2 run faster?? Would it be worth it?

Last edited:

Ryuran

The Overseer
Very promising !!!! I think I'll play Wind Waker this year for the first time, after a long time waiting !!!

Clements

You need a video card that supports Pixel Shaders 2.0 (Radeon 9500 or GeForce FX 5200 or better).