What's new

Game Boy

ChaosBlade

My Heart Chose.. Revenge.
I understood that much from reading the thread and from zenogais, but it seems to me that its too simple just being that. Timing is a serious issue when emulating, and ive seen people comment about spending hours and even days just to fix timing, which seems odd if its just that. I could be wrong though (refer to my last post as to why :p).

bcrew1375

Well, there's the timing of the emulator program, and then there's the timing of the emulated system. The emulator program needs to be restricted to running only the number of cycles per second that the original CPU would allow. The Gameboy has a timer that programs use to call code at specific intervals. They are 4096, 16384, 65536, and 262144 Hertz. That means they interrupt 4096, 16384, 65536, and 262144 times per second, respectively. As far as I know, the Gameboy has a machine speed of 1.048576 MegaHertz(4.194304 Megahertz clock speed). So, you would take 1048576 / Timer frequency, and that would give you the number of cycles you need to run before calling the interrupt. Hope that's clear :p.

HyperHacker

Raving Lunatic
Yes, but all that says is "unusable"; what does that mean? Would it read as 00 or FF or what, and what would happen if it were written to?

bcrew1375

HyperHacker said:
Yes, but all that says is "unusable"; what does that mean? Would it read as 00 or FF or what, and what would happen if it were written to?

It means just that, unusable. If you write to the area, it won't be written at all. If you read from it, you will get undefined data, which means the data is unknown.

Dark Stalker

bcrew1375 said:
Well, there's the timing of the emulator program, and then there's the timing of the emulated system. The emulator program needs to be restricted to running only the number of cycles per second that the original CPU would allow. The Gameboy has a timer that programs use to call code at specific intervals. They are 4096, 16384, 65536, and 262144 Hertz. That means they interrupt 4096, 16384, 65536, and 262144 times per second, respectively. As far as I know, the Gameboy has a machine speed of 1.048576 MegaHertz(4.194304 Megahertz clock speed). So, you would take 1048576 / Timer frequency, and that would give you the number of cycles you need to run before calling the interrupt. Hope that's clear :p.
Not to mention video modes, lyc, serial transfer, sound, dma, rtc etc. Strict timers are simple, since it's pretty clear when to do them.

bcrew1375

Yeah, I always forget to mention the guts of it. And, um, I don't think you worry about the time for the DMA. You use it by writing to memory, the OAM data is copied to memory in a few microseconds, but the game waits for that to be completed before continuing. You shouldn't need to worry about timing the DMA.

ChaosBlade

My Heart Chose.. Revenge.
Considering i havent worked with timing issues before im expecting trouble whenever ill grab this project up :p

Dark Stalker

Dma takes a certain number of clock cycles that need to be accounted for, if you are to believe the docs that insist that the cpu halts until the transfers are done. At least for hdma and gdma. Still, doing that seemed to break things, so I suspect that either the docs are wrong and the cpu doesn't halt, or they just fail to mention that everything else halts too, so that it doesn't really matter. Gnuboy hackers question dma timings too, as seen on their front page.

Also, interestingly, some of the the video modes exist strictly for timing purposes, as the game boy screen doesn't really have a physical hblank time.

Last edited:

HyperHacker

Raving Lunatic
You don't have to time the actual DMA transfer, but it has to leave the memory inaccessible for ~160 emulated microseconds and set the 'DMA complete' flag. Most games go into a tight loop in the FF80-FFFE area (the only area accessible during DMA) that waits exactly this long.

Dark Stalker

Yes, that's basically quoting the docs on regular oam dma transfers :p

edit: Wait a minute, there is an oam dma complete flag to set? I thought the reason the games loop for a set number of cycles was because there is no feedback on when the oam dma transfer is complete.

Last edited:

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
Yeah bcrew, it's the same loop. But, there are still a lot of things that I'm not quite sure about, so I think that I am going to do a little more work on my Chip8 emulator, and then come back to this project. I am hoping that it'll give me a firming grasp on the whole concept of emulator programming.

ZeroEffect

I'm having a little difficulty with the 8-bit ALU instructions involving HL (eg ADD A, HL). Maybe I'm just over-complication...

Is this as straight forward as adding the low 8-bits of HL to A and setting the flag appropritely (where a carry occurs on bit 7)? I've read in several places that AF is in some cases used as a 16-bit register, would this be one of those situations, and if not, what would be an example of where AF is used.

refraction

PCSX2 Coder
bcrew1375 said:
If it's "ADD A, (HL)" that you are talking about, it means to add the memory contents at address HL to register A.

it will be that, i know no gameboy opcode that tries to cram a 16bit register into an 8 bit one lol.

you want something like register.A = memory(register.HL);

depending on how youve laid it out

Pontifice

Learning
all "(number)" refers to memory[number]

I'm searching a simple rom to debug a GB emulator someone knows about one ???