What's new

From GeForce2Go 32MB to ATI M9 64MB

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
OK, After a LOT of hard work, i've found out I have an IBM LCD! That's good news, right? However, it's SXGA+, and I hear the M9 doesn't work with SXGA screens...

OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
The Hitachi brand is the biggest compatibility breaker for the GF4go and M9 cards. But, the M9 does work with some SXGA+ LCDs, namely I have heard of somebody with a samsung brand SXGA+ LCD who has gotten it to work. The general oppinion of IBM branded screens seems to be that they are of pretty good quality and compatibility. I have not heard of anybody using an M9 with an IBM SXGA+ though, so that is, for the most part, uncharted waters...However, the GF4go is confirmed to work with the IBM SXGA+, and seeing how the M9 is more compatible than the GF4, your odds might be good, its probably your motherboard that you should be most worried about.

Last edited:

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
OK, I took the big plunge and ordered me a Geforce 4go 64mb. I think that was the best choice. We'll see if i'm wrong. Anyways, there's a return policy, and I can get store credit and get a M9 if I wanted to try it, but from the short time i've spent on the Dell's Support, the M9 is hit or miss (and debatably doesn't work with SXGA screens,) whereas the 4go is a pretty sure fire thing (unless you got the Hitachi screen, which I don't.) I have heard some people having random boot/shutdown/standby problems, but I already have plenty of those, so I don't care. The best part is the video bios is included in the 8000's (they put the 2go and the 4go's bios upgrades packaged together.)

The 4go was $121 + shipping and the M9 was $130 + shipping. I paid $127 total. Not bad at ALL. Practically the same price, strangely. I imagine that the M9 has marginally better scaling, but screw that, ATI has given me so much grief with it's crappy drivers I want something that does what it's supposed to. And the 4go has a new proper mobile technology, supposedly.

FYI, I called their order place (Dell's) and had no problem whatsoever. I don't think the woman even understood it was for a laptop (I went the "spare parts" route.) The "graphics card," she said. Not a single problem. They must have recently changed policy, I am POSITIVE they never sold laptop GFX cards, there were hundreds of people bitching and moaning on Dell's support boards about how they couldn't upgrade.

Finally, what's the 4go compare to in a desktop card?

Oh well, wish me luck. Any comments?

EDIT: Oh, BTW, I checked Ebay and they had starting bids of 125-150 for G4G cards, nevermind the extroadinarily high shipping!!! You can buy one straight from Dell for $120!
EDIT 2: As for my mobo, I have the same one, or newer, than yours. I can find out if I wanted to on monday (I should have had them pull the full parts list of all the replacements they put in my system, darn.)

EDIT 3: Is there some sort of bios flashing ritual I need to go through to get the proper firmware onto that G4G?

Last edited:
OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Right, the reason that these cards sell higher on ebay than they do from dell direct is because you can only get these cards if you actualy live in the US; Dell wont ship them anywhere else, hence foreigners have to buy them second hand. The M9 is in much higher demand than the GF4go, so thats why its easier to order the GF4. I had somebody offer me $160 for my M9, but I would rather not get rid of it honestly (well, not unless they offered at least $200). BTW, the M9 does work with SXGA screens, it has been confirmed to work with samsung ones, just I am not sure if anybody has tried it on an IBM one. The main one we just know it to not work on is the hitachi one, which unfortunately, most inspiron 8000s were shipped with.

As for the firmware, just upgrade your bios firmware to the latest before upgrading the card and it should minimize any potential problems.

EDIT: BTW, make sure your getting the 440go and not the 420go, wouldn't want to get a lower end card where its not necessary. As for my current driver status though, the catalyst 3.1 drivers actualy perform quite well. Its still a sad fact that the latest ones are shitty however.

Last edited:

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
Yep, it's definetely the 440. What's the desktop equivalent?
If it doesn't work, i'll try the M9. If that doesn't work, I need a new battery :p
The M9 worked for one guy with a samsung screen. Everyone else said no good with SXGA screens. It's hit or miss either way, really, and I prefer an Nvidia product. No good, then i'll get an M9 (or try one, at least.)

How do you find out your MOBO revision? Any idea as to what I should be looking for to figure out if it'll work?

OH, I also need to figure out what drivers to use...

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
Hmm, it seems this SXGA IBM & M9 ARE compatible, from one report I dug up. Here is a snippage:
<snip>
The IBM Lcd is the most compatible of all. It IS /compatible with the Radeon 7500 and the Radeon 9000 (which I am now running, no issues since the day i dropped it in). And the Gf4 is also no hassle. But I don't know if there is something in your particular case to make things weird (eg you got your motherboard replaced or something). But I have had no issues upgrading mine (which started out as a P3M 866 with a 16MB Gf2 Go and 8X DVD, check sig for current specs).
<snip>

Inspiron 8100
~Pentium III-M @1.2Ghz~
256 MB RAM
40GB Hard Disk
16X fixed CD-RW
~64MB Mobility Radeon 9000~
15" SXGA+ IBM LCD

I think I might change my order on Monday (Damn place is closed all weekend, I hope it's not too late Monday.) Opinions?

OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
/me shrugs

The only information I have seen on motherboards is that it is hit-and-miss compatibility; no concrete revision or model numbers. GF4go 440 should be the equivalent of a desktop GF4mx 440. So far as which card you want, that all depends on what your preference is. -but- word is that the M9 is the best video card that the i8000 through i8200's form factor will ever see, with the exception of the quadro470go, which is essentialy a geforce 4 ti4200, but nobody has been able to acquire one of those cards, and the retail price is over $300.

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
Sorry for all the posting here...

Anyways, I called up Dell, and went to change my order (I think the deciding factor was DX9 support w/ pixel shading, along with a report that it WILL work in my system. Plus, a Radeon 9000 is far superior to a Geforce 2 (essentially what the 4go is.) I have the same system as AlphaWolf, down to the bios revision, except for the SXGA vs. UXGA screen, which I found a report it is compatible. The only wildcard is my mobo, it was replaced, and when they replaced it when I started up my system it re"detected" every single component in my machine, so god knows what I wound up getting.
Anyways, they couldn't find an in-stock 64mb Radeon (this lady looked for like a half hour,) and wouldn't put an order (even though I knew it wouldn't take too long.) I opted to try the 32mb M9 instead, I didn't really care about the extra memory. Here's the weird part - it cost MORE! It was $139 instead of $130. It comes with some sort of assembly. The part number the lady listed for me was 8X960, and I can't find this part number anywhere to check for myself. Oh well, more rolling of the dice, this is like a serious adventure here. I wonder what the hell it is....perhaps an upgrade of 32mb memory! :)

EDIT: The correct part # is 5E441. I still can't figure out why it's more expensive, I think it's because they actually have it in stock, and are discouraging or disallowing people from buying the 64mb, the bastards are trying to milk us me thinks.

Last edited:

ra5555

N64 Newbie
yo, that m8 looks greats :p. I am getting a notebook soon for university, I don't really like dell, but I still donno what I really should get. A friend suggested Toshiba, but the graphics cards is a GF4GO420, which is crap.

So my question is, what is the best value preformance notebook ?

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
I don't know about best value, but Dell is the best overall, (and not bad when it comes to the price.) They don't charge tax is alot of states, including New York, which is excellent. They have the best service you can find, they offer completecare now for home users which I really wish I had (if you piss on your notebook, they'll fix it:p) Great warranty service, fast ordering, etc. Their technical support is lacking, but I have yet to see tech support that isn't lacking. However, if something is broken, they will quite often send you a replacement immediately, often allowing you to keep what you have until it arrives and then send it back once you recieve the replacement.

As for their notebooks, they are top notch. They've been making notebooks for a LONG time, and are of great quality (the casing isn't the best, but it's good, that's the only bad thing. I've had 2 different I8K notebooks, and in both of them the modular CD-RW keeps falling out. The screen isn't attached great, either. Otherwise, it's a great notebook (the desktop replacement brand.) It has a nice full size keyboard, a trackstick (I like it, some don't,) AND a touchpad. Their screens are breathtaking. The only problem with the desktop replacement (it's currently the 8500) is that they are big and heavy, weighing in at over 8 pounds, so they are not good if you plan on bringing it out of the house often.

Their components are top-of-the-line, they are now offering (in new notebooks) either the 4go 4200, or the M9. The 4go 4200 is the best, I think. I'm going to do a sample configuration and let you know what I come up with.

OK, *drools*

$2,315 - $300 mail-in rebate (Until 7/2, act fast!) = $2k

Inspiron 8500
2.4GHZ P4-M Processor, 512K L2, 8K L1
Intel 845MP Mobo, PSB @ 400Mhz
15.4" WUXGA+ Screen (Wide Aspect, Ultrasharp) (UXGA = 1600x1200, which is important for gaming if you don't have an ATI card. The scaling on Nvidia cards, as they are new to the mobile card market, is lacking. But if you have a UXGA you play all your games at 800x600.)
512MB DDR, Up to 2GB (266 MHZ) (2 Dimms/2 Slots) (They overcharge on memory, you are better off upgrading it yourself, but for this purpose I did factory installed. Getting 1 Dimm instead of 2 is like twice the price, not worth it.)
64MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce 4 4200 Go AGP 4X Graphics
40GB Ulta-ATA HD
No Floppy Drive (I think they were like $50 for a modular one.)
WinXP Home (To be destroyed and Pro Installed manually.)
Integrated 10/100 NIC & V.92 56k Modem
24x CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive
72 Whr Battery (You can expect about 1.5-3 hours per battery, that's what I get, depending on what i'm doing.)
*2 Year Warranty, At-Home Service, Complete Care*
(A bunch of junk)

Ports:
IEEE 1394 integrated port
Serial Port
Parallel Port
SVGA Port
S-Video for TV-Out for S-video, and S/PDIF
Serial infrared communications port (lrDA-1.1 compliant)
Headphones, Audio Line-Out, Microphone jacks
2 USB 2.0 Ports
2 PCMCIA Slots (Warm Swap Capable)

And a ****ing cherry on top. Did I mention the AC Adapter supports 220 Volts for easy travelling?

:drool:

EDIT: I know you wanted value performance, but I just gave you performance. They have other, cheaper, smaller, yet comparable notebooks. Go to their site and check it out yourself. I really do strongly recommend Dell, they have the best balance of price and performance (and support.)

EDIT 2: Toshibas are the one of the few notebooks that are better than Dells, component wise, but they are more expensive. Gateway's are about the same quality yet much more expensive. Cheaper you might find Sony, which you should stay away from at all costs. There are many others but they allude me right now.

Last edited:
OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Woa, carefull about that part, it may not be what you think it is. The M7 costs $169 and its a radeon 7500, not as good as the M9. They don't adjust their prices over time based on depreciation, no matter what the spare part prices stay fixed. If I were you I would be persistent about getting the 4u284. Its more of a matter of getting a competent person on the line who will place the order even though its marked as being out of stock or back ordered. I had to get somebody like this on the line in order to finaly get the correct part.

I *think* that 5E441 is a 32mb ATI M4.

Last edited:

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
No, it's an M9, I triple checked.

EDIT: I triple checked with idiots. If I get a M4 I am going to KILL them, and will take back every positive thing I said about Dell.

EDIT: I am not VERY pissed. They thought it was an M9 because the description ONLY reads "Ati 32MB". ARGH!@ What freaking idiots and stupid systems they have there. I take back every positive thing I said about Dell. I tried to update my information, and they couldn't get it right FIVE times!!!! I'm STILL waiting for my credit card to get credited for the 4go. Argh, I hate Dell.
(They do have great laptops though.)

I said "fuck it", spent the extra $25, and bought one from Ebay.

Last edited:
OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
I would just be persistent with Dells spare parts hotline. One person on the dell forums told me to ask for a guy named Edward, although I couldn't get ahold of that guy specificaly, the guy I did get ahold of was one of the smarter ones. At first he told me that the part was out of stock and that I couldn't place the order. I asked him if there is any way that he can just place it anyways, and he said that would be fine, but the back order was 90 days. I said thats fine, just place the order for the part anyways. Sure enough, the ATI M9 arrived 8 days later.

ra5555

N64 Newbie
Hey thanks nephalim and Alpha, there is still about 3 months left untill university starts, so I can still wait. Hopefully the prices will come down a bit (Readon 9600M will be out right?) and I will get a notebook with M9.

Thanks again :sorcerer:

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
Radeon M9? Or 9600? They'll probably still call the 9600 the M9 as the 4200 is still the 4 go. I think they are due for a Geforce 4200 go equivelant. I wonder what the Radeon Mobility 9600 will hold...oh well, it's extroadinarily doubtful it'll work in my machine, and i'm happy with my Radeon 9000 (assuming it works.) For a new machine however, the 4200 go is the best mobile GFX card currently available.

Is Dell going to sell the 460 go? I don't see any reason why they would, a waste of NVidia's time making a marginally better mobile GFX card like that.

What's the M9 equivalent to in a desktop card?

OK guys, enough flooding this thread, last post until I get my new hardware, unless someone asks me something :)
One last thing: Alphawolf, when you get a chance, can you tell me any special procedure or anything to keep in mind upgrading my GFX card?

OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
M9 is -exactly- the same as a desktop radeon 9000, the only difference is the form factor. The core runs on less power, but its actualy the same core that the desktop version uses. The only difference is that when the chips are made on the assembly line, the ones that perform the best with lower voltage are selected for the mobility line.

This is pretty much the same way that processor speeds are selected. When a chip company makes a processor, they aren't aiming for a specific clock speed. They just make the processors based on a certain dye process, and then after the processor is made, they test how it runs at different speeds. Depending on how hot it gets, and how stable it runs, they will mark it for that respective clock speed.

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
I'm anxiously awaiting my card...hopefully Tuesday, probably Wednesday. 2 quick questions - how does the Radeon number system work? Generally, the higher the number, the better the card? What's the difference between pro and non-pro? The other question is how are you using the catalyst drivers? Don't you need to use the laptop drivers?

I have read that the 64mb and 32mb M9's are NOT the same. The memory and gpu speeds are significantly different. For this reason, i'm glad I didn't get a 32mb anyway.

I have corrected my information with Dell's people at LEAST five times. They STILL can't get it right. What the hell is the problem? Argh, i'm so frustrated with Dell right now.

OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
You need to modify the ini files on ATIs reference drivers, same thing you need to do with nvidias detonator series. Theres a little program that does it, I am not sure of the exact URL, look on the dell forums.