What's new

Flickering in VBA 1.72

ArcaneLore

I use VBA v1.72, and in games such as Mario and Luigi, and the recently released LOTR: 3rd age, flickering occurs wherever there are shadows. I use Direct3D as the renderer using "D3D Nearest" and x4 video size. Under filter, normal is checked. This problem occurs with or without the ts2 bios.

My system:
Windows XP SP2.
DirectX 9.0c.
Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB, 4.10 Catalyst drivers.
2x512MB DDR PC2700 RAM.
P4G8X+ mobo.
P4 2.8GHz 533MHz BUS.

Can anyone tell me how to correct this problem?

Clements

I have this problem too in Mario & Luigi, I think it's a bug in VBA. I don't know of any fix, so if it really bothers you, you could try an alternative emulator.

Chupi

Shut off frame skipping and make sure speed is at 100%. Turn off throttle. Your system rocks and should easily be able to play at full speed. I have it working perfectly at full screen 1280x1024 on a 2.54 GHz P4 laptop with nVidia GeForce 4 440 Go.

Also, if you're using VBA for Hackers or another modified version, try the original. I was using it and it seemed to make everything more demanding on the processor.

If the flicker isn't much and you're using a ultra-high-speed LCD or a good CRT, it won't get any better. Nintendo avoids using so many semi-transparent sprites by using an opaque one that flickers really fast. This flicker doesn't show up at all on a GBA screen or most LCD monitors, and is probably only visible on good screens (at full speed) if you have a good eye.