What's new

Feature Request: Blocking of new releases.

jdsony

Call it what you want but the bigger and more coverage it gets, the more emulation will become a huge issue like the whole movie/music industry. Locking games out won't stop people from getting past the lockout to play the games but it's not a completely bad idea. I'm not against piracy but there is a point where too much publicity will cause a backlash. When the average Joe starts playing brand new games in his own home for free the emu authors start getting harrassed by the game companies and possibly may even quit because of it. I'm sure people who have been visiting emutalk for a while have noticed the huge influx of new people since the Chankast release. It's also interesting that there are at least 60 people in the Chankast forum everytime I enter and tonight there was well over 100. I just think it's good when emu authors tread carefully, it's better for them which inturn is also better for us.

Evrain

The Forbidden One
jdsony, I understand your point of view, however I was not referring to MAME + ROMsets (ROM, what an offensive word for games), but just to mame itself. A few generations have grown while seeing players beat the crap out of each others on SF machines, or trying to dodge bullets in Cave games: as I said a few posts ago, I was happy to revive part of my youth with my friends while playing TumblePop and laughing about the past. It's not emulation or "framing them and putting them on the wall": is just keeping memory of what was a piece of past experiences. Maybe in 25 years someone will cry seeing Metal Slug 6 on an emulator :D
Evrain

Evrain

The Forbidden One
maybe, since we are going nowhere. But it's still nice to hear the opinions of everyone.
Evrain

mezkal

Man on a mission
deibit's right.

IF ppl are gonna hack the blocks on the later releases of Chankast - let em. IF they end up getting sued its thier OWN fault. Furthermore the point her is that we want DC Emulation and we want it NOW. MAME's approach means that Naomi 1/2/Hikaru/Atomiswave will be emulated eventually as they are all ARCADE game platforms and have subsequent game titles to be run. Chankast, I believe, should stay a sole DC emulator, or at least block any Arcade titles younger than 2 years old. This should keep the authors out of the litigous scope of the RIAA ( and yes many arcade games have copyrighted MUSIC soundtracks and FX so WAKE UP!) and other such organisations.

Say what you will about my opinion (as that is all it is) but I would rather have reasons to protect Chankast then let others snipe at it due to reasons of potential illegality.

I realise that DreamCast software is also 100% illegal to copy too but seeing as the console is dead, its market is essentially and furthermore its parent company (who are also close to death too) see it as dead. Somehow I don't see teams of lawyers running to harrass a DC emultion project.

mezkal

Man on a mission
mike20599 said:
Lets lock all the games and then nobody can get sued. C'mon people stop with this bullshit.

Mike why would you say that? Sure we can go that route but then nobody has any fun. I am merely saying that we should hedge our bets (or at least in terms of the conversation anyway) and try to convince the Chanka dev's to keep within the scope of DC. DC is dead and most of Sega too so why would they bother suing over a dead console? Granted Nintendo did the same but then the NES had only stopped production last year. China still sells NESs by the truckload. How many new DC's are in production??? NONE. Yet there are some new and recent titles running on AtomisWave and Hikaru, not too mention the Virtua Tennis machines that I still see in arcades now. Emulating those for research might be cool, but it certainly my bring the ire of SEGA Hitmaker and/or AM2/3. I personally would rather enjoy thier lack of interest in emulating a dead console then them blocking the webpage and possibly forcing Chanka to stop dead in its production tracks.

my .10c :p

dreamer

Mike why would you say that? Sure we can go that route but then nobody has any fun.
i don't quite understand it...but something, somewhere tells me that mike was being sarcastic.<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_203574", true); </SCRIPT>

mike20599

If I own an Atomiswave arcade machine and I dump it and decide to play it on Chanka, I have every right. If you download a game and play it on Chanka then YOU are the one breaking the law, not the makers of Chanka. It's like fat people suing McDonalds for making them fat.

jdsony

mike20599 said:
If I own an Atomiswave arcade machine and I dump it and decide to play it on Chanka, I have every right. If you download a game and play it on Chanka then YOU are the one breaking the law, not the makers of Chanka. It's like fat people suing McDonalds for making them fat.

I definitely agree with that but it won't stop people trying. Look at Virtual Game Station the Playstation emulator. Sony took them to court numerous times. I think Connectix won most of the battles but then Sony just bought the emulator and killed it. They were charging for the emulator and Sony is a company more likely to go after that kinda thing so it's not exactly the same issue.

Evrain

The Forbidden One
VGS was a failed experiment for one simple reason: not even the greatest Sony/Sega/Nintendo/Evraincorp can beat an entire community.
Evrain

posty_2k3

T3h pwn3r3r
Do you even know why VGS failed? No, not because sony bought them. It was because they SOLD THE EMULATOR TO USERS. Emulators like this HAVE to be freeware or else the author's CAN get sued/bought. They said this basically "We coded the emulator, so all you people that want to use it, you have to pay us a one time fee to be able to use it." Basically, they were making money for the emulator. Big corps cant sue freeware emulators because no one "owns" the emulator. It's freeware, and they cant sue the devs for anything, and because no one owns it, they can't buy the emulator and shut it down. The only thing that could possibly happen is that users get sued by the big companies because they are caught downloading games they dont own. Get your facts straight.

OP
D

deibit

Clessy said:
Seriously you extremist anti priacy people are psycho.

:smurf:

Clessy said:
Emulation has never been about priating games.

No, but its used by pirate arcade companies. Or you never saw Arcade halls with a (pirate) MAME PC inside a cabinet next to the few Sega, Namco real machines that are still left?

Or even worse.. you never saw (pirate)(hacked)MAME PC Cabinets in public places playing NeoGeo *new* games?

Clessy said:
Another thing are you a arcade vendor? .

No.

Clessy said:
Do you buy arcade boards?.

Yes.

Clessy said:
No didnt think so would Sammy be loosing a sell from you by you play Atomiswave on your PC,.

With me sure not.. I dont really buy Arcade boards newer than 1990 :)

Clessy said:
Your gonna say they're loosing money per game well actually they're not they dont make money off of the credits only the stores do.

The fact is that the stores get more profit with a Pirate emulator-PC than than with a dedicated real machine... then, why buy a real machine?

Before this started as a retro-curiosity to play old arcade games, now it turned into something not such "retro" since they started to setup machines with the newers neo-geo developments... you think that when chankast-naomi would be playable these companies will not setup machines with that emulator and sell them?

OP
D

deibit

Arakon said:
such a lock will simply encourage people to hack the emu to remove the lock again. as it has always been.

Well one efective option would be to just don't release the ROM or GD-ROM dumps... (I dont think there are more than two or three persons around there with the knowledge/tools/mood to dump them) so this could be a good way to avoid the problem without needing to restrict the emulator, no?

(ugs.. now i guess I should prepare myself for another insult-round) :happy:

mezkal

Man on a mission
dreamer said:
i don't quite understand it...but something, somewhere tells me that mike was being sarcastic.<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_203574", true); </SCRIPT>

Gee Ya reckon? Ever notice the sarcasm just dripping from my somewhat obviously rhetorical question to Mike.

LOL

such a quick bunch here.

Anyway my point is that at least with blocks the Chanka dev's do somewhat remain out of the litigous firiing line. All things being equal.

Evrain

The Forbidden One
deibit said:
Well one efective option would be to just don't release the ROM or GD-ROM dumps... (
(ugs.. now i guess I should prepare myself for another insult-round) :happy:

Uhm... err... definitely the worst choice: I know what kind of beasts users become when they can't play something they would like to play but it's simply not still around *HUGE sweatdrop*
I was one of them a few months back *GIGANTIC sweatdrop*
Evrain

madprofessor

zito oi penses
i think deibit is right. if emulation goes so fast there won't be any systems to emulate in the near future :bounce:
although it is nice to have emulators for systems that are commercially dead... in spite of their age

Last edited:

Davv13

AMD2000XP=512DDR=9600XT
madprofessor said:
i think deibit is right. if emulation goes so fast there won't be any systems to emulate in the near future :bounce:
although it is nice to have emulators for systems that are commercially dead... in spite of their age
Well no,it took about 4 years after the death of the DC to finally emulate it. Even if there was a working emu for ps2 or xbox out no pc would be able to run the games fast enough to play them. By the time the pc is fast enough to emulate these two console we will be on the verge of xbox3 and ps4. So no hurting would be done to the ps2 or xbox console, so current consoles will always get there day in the sun,think about it.

mezkal

Man on a mission
Davv13 said:
Well no,it took about 4 years after the death of the DC to finally emulate it. Even if there was a working emu for ps2 or xbox out no pc would be able to run the games fast enough to play them. By the time the pc is fast enough to emulate these two console we will be on the verge of xbox3 and ps4. So no hurting would be done to the ps2 or xbox console, so current consoles will always get there day in the sun,think about it.

For the most part you're correct. Except where you state that an XBOX emu would require a fast PC. LOL You've got to be kidding. The XBOX's CPU is a Celeron/PIII Hybrid (essentially a low voltage CuMine) and it runs at an astounding 733mhz, the rest of the system is essentially a GF3 (with GF4 VS, PS 1.1 and GF4 Memory architecture) running on a UMA based Nforce 1 chipset. Early dev kits emulated most of this using a combination of standard's based hardware and a few layers of software where the DICE (Dolby real-time encoder and surround sound chipset) and GF3+ were concerned. So essentially XBOX emulators have already been made and used. :p in 1999 :p

Evrain

The Forbidden One
MegaLOL! True... in fact Caustik can run Turok 3 on a middle-end machine, yet every single instruction is ported directly to DX without much effort.
Evrain