What's new

Fast?

Reznor007

Stezo2k said:
oh yeah, i forgot the GC has a powerpc processor, that will take a very fast X86 based CPU to emulate it full speed, to be realistic, we are talking more than 3GHz using low level emulation, if it was using HLE, well that would be a different case, it probably run near full speed on a high spec system at the moment

3GHz for low level PowerPC emulation? I wish. MAME devs are thinking around 8GHz for full speed PowerPC603e chips around 166MHz, Gamecube is a PPC750cx at 485MHz.

Remote

But doesn't MAME always try to do it the exact way, meaning full LLE emulation of the GC?

Which would up the requirements quite a bit...

ShadowPrince

Reznor007 said:
3GHz for low level PowerPC emulation? I wish. MAME devs are thinking around 8GHz for full speed PowerPC603e chips around 166MHz, Gamecube is a PPC750cx at 485MHz.

You probably confusing LLE with interpreter core of emulator. What really makes speed difference is what method of emulation you're using. MAME is using interpreter for most games,so it's relatively slow.But even with interpreter emulation of 166Mhz chip shouldn't take 8Ghz PC ,unless they also emulate gfx chip in software.

Afaik Dolphin have fully LLE PPC core and with finished dynarec most games should work full speed on modern hi end machines (3+Ghz),2D games will need much less power than this .

ZDragon

And I also believe that it will run much faster on an 64-Bit CPU, which is probably what I will upgrade on my PC in a year or so... already got a Radeon 9800pro, 2nd best gamer's card and just alittle slower than 9800 XT.

Flash

Technomage
Reznor007 said:
3GHz for low level PowerPC emulation? I wish. MAME devs are thinking around 8GHz for full speed PowerPC603e chips around 166MHz
Really ? I'm sure they thinking about interpreter written in QuickBasic or Java :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Because SheepShaver (Power Macintosh emulator for Linux) emulates 100Mhz PowerPC 604 and it's not a HLE.
I've got 2x speed in all benchmarks.
So if full speed emulation of 200Mhz PowerPC 604 is possible on 900Mhz Celeron, 3GHz for 603 is a madness

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
Isn't it possible to make a portable dynamic recompiler? I heard about it a while back, and MAMEdev has stated that they wouldn't be against something like that going into regular MAME.

Stezo2k

S-2K
as for speeding up the emulator, i belive it could be speeded up hugely if the PPC CPU was not emulated, but instead using a macintosh computer, which has a PPC CPU which is similar :)

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
Lillymon said:
Isn't it possible to make a portable dynamic recompiler? I heard about it a while back, and MAMEdev has stated that they wouldn't be against something like that going into regular MAME.

That is the goal of QEMU.

Falcon4ever

Plugin coder / Betatester
ZDragon said:
And I also believe that it will run much faster on an 64-Bit CPU, which is probably what I will upgrade on my PC in a year or so... already got a Radeon 9800pro, 2nd best gamer's card and just alittle slower than 9800 XT.

it won't run faster in a 32-Bit pc, cuz it isn't developed for 64-bit cpu's ...

ZDragon

Yea, considering that it was developed for 64 bit by then. Come on, I guess it won't run at even half speed on most 32 bit machines... even IF it was programmed extremely well. At least that's what I think.

Stezo2k

S-2K
ZDragon said:
Yea, considering that it was developed for 64 bit by then. Come on, I guess it won't run at even half speed on most 32 bit machines... even IF it was programmed extremely well. At least that's what I think.

it probably can be achieved with HLE or that method that corn uses, but if using a PC, the GC cpu will still need to be emulated, so the requirements may still be high, but should be much lower than requirements of a LLE GC emu

ZDragon

I believe no one would be that silly to try programming a LLE GC emulator... I mean, it isn't really an alternate way, is it?

Stezo2k

S-2K
ZDragon said:
I believe no one would be that silly to try programming a LLE GC emulator... I mean, it isn't really an alternate way, is it?

what method is dolphin using at the moment?

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
This thread looks like a nice philosophical debate between people who like talking about things they have no clue about :p

ZDragon

Seems so. I think Doplhin will NOT use LLE, because the developers must know about what computers would be needed to play the games at full speed. But of course, there is no evidence for it... let's just wait and see.

Falcon4ever

Plugin coder / Betatester
Hacktarux said:
This thread looks like a nice philosophical debate between people who like talking about things they have no clue about :p

hehe indeed... bet most of them don't know what's HLE or LLE

:corpse: