What's new

Failed to Create DirectX Device?

Dj Noop

Brand New
Hey!

I need a little help getting Dolphin to work. This is the first time I'm actually using it, though I've heard of it for a few months now. I can't get it to play due to an error in the beginning. I'm trying to play Shadow the Hedgehog, the only game I have, but I get an error immedeatly saying there's a DirectX error, that it won't creat a device. Even when I turn off the shader, it still doesn't intitialize. I have a Nvidia Geforce Go 6800 Ultra that I'm pretty sure supports Pixel Shader 3.0, DirectX 9.0c, a Pent. M processor @ 2.0Ghz, a gig or so of ram, and Windows XP MCE, so I don't believe it's a lack of requirements. I used the old video.dll file from the sticky thread for computers that don't work with the sharder option, yet there's no change. Is there an option or setting that I must set on the emu, or something I have to do on my computer settings? Is it a problem with the game in general (it's not on the compatability list because it's new) or my specific rip? Any help I get from anyone is greatly appreciated.

I have a picture attached showing the error window that comes up.

Again, thanks in advanced.

Last edited:
OP
Dj Noop

Dj Noop

Brand New
Yeup, I went to the microsoft site and updated with the latest DirectX drivers that were released. I'll admit though, I'm not 100% sure I did it right, but I bought this laptop around November of 2005 so if I didn't update right, I have at least what was latest at that time.

OP
Dj Noop

Dj Noop

Brand New
This is either a very simple problem or a very technical one, and I really don't know. Help from anyone technically inclined would be very much appreciated.

LalaKSlayer

Let's try something:
On Windows start menu, click on Run and type dxdiag

It'll show if you have directx 9.0c installed...

OP
Dj Noop

Dj Noop

Brand New
DirectX Version: 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Yeup, so I have the right directx I'm pretty sure. What else would cause a problem like this?

Dysprosium

Graphics Designer
It shouldn't be the rip of Shadow the Hedgehog doing it; if it was, it wouldn't appear properly in the selection. Have you turned on the AA settings? I've found a few functions in the video plugin aren't compatible (Or dislike GeForce cards.) with my PC.

I'm not exactly sure if it will help any, but try turning off the framebuffer (Pressed button on the emulator's window.) and double checking your video plugin settings for the defaults.

Knuckles

What Vile said, the 6X aa setting on the video plugin tend to do that if your card doesn't support it. You have a Geefore 6800 , I suggest you to use 4X maximum , or set it off and put it to the max over your video card control panel.

OP
Dj Noop

Dj Noop

Brand New
Yo, everyone on this thread:

THANKYOU!

It turns out it was the 6x AA settings. It runs pretty nicely just under 10frames per second right now with everything turned up (AA at 4x). Just out of curiosity, what are the normal and crazy good speeds of Dolphin?

I've been to the site and I've read threads about the progress of Dolphin, but just to be clear, where is this emulator right now? Is it being worked on, held off, or stopped? I have no expectations or impatience or anything, I just think there's quality in here that would be great to expand on. Sort of the same way I feel about Project 64, which I'm so glad has gone so far.

Yeah, again, thanks everyone.