What's new

Error: Direct3D failed to initiate HAL device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obi X

Hi,

I'm new to this MsgBrd, looks cool though :alien: . After installing PJ v1.42 I recieve this error when trying to run it.

Error: Direct 3D failed to initialize your HAL device make sure you have a properly configured 3D graphics card compatible with Direct 3D 6.0

My System: (PC) Dell L667r / (Video Card) Intel(R) 82810E Graphics Controller / (Video Card Driver - latest) ver 4.13.01.2951 / DirectX 8.0 / (Platform) Win98SE

DirectDraw7 Error Log: [6:38:04 PM 26/12/2001] Error 0x88760091 - Error creating 3D rendering surface

This error, "Direct 3D failed to initialize your HAL device", window comes up immediatly after trying to run the PJ64 executable, but the GUI still comes up. After closing the machine locks when I try to re-boot.
Is my video card simply in-compatible? I'd very much appriciate any idea's or input, Thanks!

OP
O

Obi X

DXDiag results

Cool coconuts Dude :cool:

I ran the DXDIAG, it seems good. I ran the tests on the Display page also, seemed to all check out ok, the only fields that were not filled in were the "Chip Type:" and "DAC Type:". I outputed the DXDiag results to a .txt file if it would help, also I just finished DL'ing DX v8.1. What do you think?

OP
O

Obi X

Update: Partially working !!!

Hey!!!

I did the following:

- Installed DirectX 8.1 and re-booted.
- Changed color settings to 16-bit.
- Changed screen resolution to 640x480

Then I tried re-running PJ64. This time I did NOT get ANY error's! I had two ROM's: GoldenEye and Mario 64. First I tried GoldenEye, the system crashed with a general run-time error. So I restarted and tried Mario 64, it loaded with near perfect graphics and sound! Now to fine tune :D , there are little black boxes around the stars that fall on his head at the beginning and I have to configure the Input device.

Thx for the help CLSugarman!!!

frenccw

I do have a Geforce 256 but i still get the same problem when i play Mario Party . When i play Mario's Bandstand once the music is going to start the god damn msg pops out. WHy ?

OP
O

Obi X

Ans: Where to get drivers

The only place I've had any REAL results in getting the 'correct' and most 'current' drivers for any brand of video card is throught manufacturers site. For example: I have an ATI card, I went to the ATI web site under support.

RJA

The PC Wiz
Obi X, your problem was that is wasn't set to 16BPP

Intrgrated Intel AGP video does not support 32 or 24 BPP Direct3D hardware acceleration.

frenccw

hey i have downloaded the newest detonator xp and i have double clicked it.....the installation finished and it asked me to reboot so that's what i did but then when i checked the verson of my driver it shows that my version is 4.13.01.2311 ... is that the newest version or the driver hasnt been updated ? ( Mario Bandstand still doesnt work )

DiaBlo666

Eliminator said:
Your video card is incompatible. Get a Geforce or TNT 2 card!:cool:

hey u eliminator cant u be more helper??? i hate damn post like urs cuz ur not helping just flaming :p

btw: i had the same problem with SAME VIDEO CARD and i solve it reinstalling the video drivers/directx 8.1 and all games are working fine..
no black boxed... all look fine ..

OP
O

Obi X

Current Driver For: Intel

I believe this is the latest driver for the Intel(R) 82810E Graphics Controller: 4.13.01.2951

You can get any info you need on this chipset at

http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/intel810/

, the drivers are also available here. I'll have to try re-installing this driver and DX8.1 to see if I can get rid of the 'black boxes' :)

frenccw

lets get back to the mario bandstand thingy....everytime i play mario bandstand in mario party there this error that pops out and after that everytime i try to run project64 the error msg that says direct3d could not regconize HAL device pops out . I have updated my driver files to 4.13.01.2311 and installed directx 8.1 but the error still occurs . How do i feex this ?

frenccw

lets get back to the mario bandstand thingy....everytime i play mario bandstand in mario party there this error that pops out and after that everytime i try to run project64 the error msg that says direct3d could not regconize HAL device pops out . I have updated my driver files to 4.13.01.2311 and installed directx 8.1 but the error still occurs . How do i feex this ?

OP
O

Obi X

Try newer driver

I would try up'ing the driver to 4.13.01.2951 , it made a big difference not only w/ Project64 but some other things like Delta Force 3 that wouldn't work at all prior to upgrading this driver. Let me know if it works, if you have trouble getting also let me know and i'll email it to you.

Obi

BaDbOy3998

I'm going to help u out a lot

If all else fails, start out at 32 bit gfx (select from the display prop. in the control panel). If they fail to work use 16 bit. If that fails to work, ur screwed unless you're next step down is using somethin' else that 256 colors. I use 16 bit gfx colors and notice no difference. There is one though, it works with pj64... GOOD LUCCKKK

:pj64:

Status
Not open for further replies.