What's new

EmuTalk Reborn suggestions

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
I thought after the update of the board software it's time to strength our great community, add new features, fix annoying stuff and rebuild some features.
After that emutalk could finally be the place again, where "normal" emu users, coders, contributors and emu coders can connect, talk and report to each other.
So I ask you: what do you want to see in the following days, months and years?

I'll start with the things I really don't need to see:
Facebook/twitter/share extensions. Nearly no one will use it and it costs bandwidth and has nearly no gain at all. Same applies to the tags/cloud feature (another one of this senseless extensions).
Only thing I would like to see is a emutalk twitter account, to let us know about downtimes, problems etc.

What do I would love to see:
1. Clean up the Index and add new stuff.

My suggestion (was some work, but just a proposal)
N64 Emulation
    -> subforum for Ultrafast
    -> remove high res from 1964 board
  • PJ64
  • Mupen64Plus
    (the only still active emulators)
  • Old N64 Projects
    -> All other N64 Emulation sub boards
  • General N64 Emulation Discussion
DC Emulation
  • Demul
  • Makaron
  • NullDC
    (same applies to them)
  • Old DC Projects
    -> All other DC Emulation sub boards
  • General DC Emulation Discussion
GC Emulation
  • Dolphin
  • Gekko (it's open source and still "fresh"...)
  • Old GC Projects
    -> All other GC Emulation sub boards
  • General GC Emulation Discussion

Now the next part will be completely rearranged

Community Projects
  • High Resolution Textures
    1. N64
    2. Gamecube/Wii (Dolphin)
    3. Arcade (Model2)
    4. Saturn (Satourne)
      ( all of them with Tutorials, completed projects and WIP subboards)
  • Screenshots
  • New Emulation Projects
    (that doesn't fit in any category)
  • Netplay
  • Cheats discussion
  • Highscores
  • Plugins
  • Programming

General Emulation
  • Handheld Emulation
    1. GB(C/A)
    2. DS
    3. PSP
  • Playstation Emulation
    -> we could put nSX2 into it and open a PCSX2 subboard aswell, also we would have place for ePSXe discussion
  • NES Emulation
    1. JNES
  • SNES Emulation
  • Saturn Shack
  • Arcade Corner
    -> MAME, FBA... discussions, probably the arcade versions of NullDC and Makaron, too

General Discussion
  • Gaming
  • Talk of the Town
  • TechTalk
  • IRC Quotes

Website Corner
  • Emu64 News
  • Suggestions?
  • Emu64 Reviews

The abandoned dungeon:
  • A.I. - Ask Imabot
  • Darkengine.dll
  • eVoodoo

That's it for now. Hope you like my new index, give your suggestions.
(dunno if I forget anything, it's late here)

Additional:
New download system (for hosting the high res packs, new projects etc.)
And we need new smileys and icons. I would like a selection like here. (;))

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
If this is going to be the new theme, can we make the Last post Title (on board index) bold please? A little hard to read at the moment :p

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Good suggestions, I differ on the smaller points but for the most part its the same

Mostly about names:
1) Mupen64 not Mupen64 plus, the plus version should have its own subforum under Mupen in my opinion.
2) Other N64 Projects instead of Old N64 Projects.

Can we think of a name other than the abandoned dungeon, seems like a negative name overall to me.

Perhaps make it a subforum of Website corner and call it something else. Doesn't need to be its own category at least.

Cyberman

Old E64 projects

Perhaps adding an 'inactive' section for N64 emulators and set them read only so if someone ever wanted to hunt down a post about ... I don't know nemu64 for example they could. In fact I suggest ALL emulators that are no longer being developed that had or could have had there own subforum be handled that way. However I suggest changes be done over a period of time, rapid rearranging things can lead to confusion. HR forum thing has been asked about more than just a few times however Martin is actually here now so maybe. Just one step at a time. Steady progress is better than rapid progress riddled with mistakes. That's my lesson from the last 10 years of emulation. Oh I forgot something under PlayStation do put PCSX (squall_leonhart has a Google code location) etc. It's not abandoned but ceased development. This emulator may have some activity in the future so just like E64 emulators had more activity as soon as something new was introduced into it. Cyb

Last edited:

Wraggster

DCEmu Webmaster
Administrator
there is a great irc mod for vb4, what emutalk also needs is new forums for discussion of new consoles, at least one for each console

OP
MasterPhW

MasterPhW

Everyone agrees with the forum structure posted by MasterPhW?

If so I'm looking to rearrange it tonight :)
Can't wait! Probably ask again in the Staff part of the board (probably they didn't saw the thread), to get some opinions of the staffers aswell.
Do you need someone, that rearrange the posts in the N64 High res sub-boards?
I would volunteer to help you with it. But I dunno, whether it would be possible to give me limited "moderator"-like move abilities.

Martin

Administrator
Can't wait! Probably ask again in the Staff part of the board (probably they didn't saw the thread), to get some opinions of the staffers aswell.
Do you need someone, that rearrange the posts in the N64 High res sub-boards?
I would volunteer to help you with it. But I dunno, whether it would be possible to give me limited "moderator"-like move abilities.

Good. :) Yeah that would be helpful. You could just join as a mod if you'd like :)

OP
MasterPhW

MasterPhW

Good. :) Yeah that would be helpful. You could just join as a mod if you'd like :)
That's a thing you and the other staffers have to decide, not me. ;)
But it would be an honour for me to help inside the team. :)

PS: I really like our new smileys. :D

Martin

Administrator
Alright I think I have the forum structure up now, basically went according to MasterPhW's suggestions with some minor modifications here and there. I'm setting up the downloads structure now. :)

MasterPhW: Feel free to move around some threads for the new forums that have been setup :D

OP
MasterPhW

MasterPhW

Alright I think I have the forum structure up now, basically went according to MasterPhW's suggestions with some minor modifications here and there. I'm setting up the downloads structure now. :)

MasterPhW: Feel free to move around some threads for the new forums that have been setup :D
While moving around the topics, I noticed that the High Resolution subboards Tutorials should be called Tutorials, Questions and General Talk instead to cover all the different questions and needs of the community.
Btw: do you also need some suggestions for the descriptions of the sub boards?

Martin

Administrator
While moving around the topics, I noticed that the High Resolution subboards Tutorials should be called Tutorials, Questions and General Talk instead to cover all the different questions and needs of the community.
Btw: do you also need some suggestions for the descriptions of the sub boards?

Fixed.

Yeah that would be helpful, it's not that urgent though I guess :)

P

Pokemaniacs

Nice revamp of ET.

I noticed that 1964 Ultra Fast thread has been moved into N64 section which I disagree.
Those emulators in that section are created from scratch by its original authors and deserve to be there (or at least a major overhaul of its original emu e.g. Mupen64Plus).

It is at best a 1964 clone.

Just my thought.

Last edited:

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
i agree with poke

clone emulators should have there place in an unofficial N64 emu forum.
if not only to respect the pioneers of emulation.

P

Pokemaniacs

Can a mod/admin correct the description of "1964 (Unofficial)" subforum?

Unofficial 1969 Projects --> Unofficial 1964 Projects

Text is hardly visible for "View Forum Leaders" under "Quick Links" because the dark grey shading makes the "green", "red" or "grey" text almost unreadable.

Also, light grey text on that page is hard to read.
The shading should be light grey and the light grey text should be changed to dark grey.

Just a thought.

If you are not login as member, "Mark Forums Read" option is available under "Forum Actions" and "Today's Posts".

Does it serve any purpose for guest?

I thought it is useful for member only?

Just a thought

Last edited by a moderator:

Martin

Administrator
Can a mod/admin correct the description of "1964 (Unofficial)" subforum?

Unofficial 1969 Projects --> Unofficial 1964 Projects

Text is hardly visible for "View Forum Leaders" under "Quick Links" because the dark grey shading makes the "green", "red" or "grey" text almost unreadable.

Also, light grey text on that page is hard to read.
The shading should be light grey and the light grey text should be changed to dark grey.

Just a thought.

If you are not login as member, "Mark Forums Read" option is available under "Forum Actions" and "Today's Posts".

Does it serve any purpose for guest?

I thought it is useful for member only?

Just a thought

Thanks for all the input, it's easy to get a bit blind when you're just viewing it from your own eyes. I've fixed the typon on Unofficial 1964 Projects.

1964 Ultrafast has been moved as a 1964 subforum, same goes for Mupen64Plus which is now under Mupen64. Not sure if it's best to keep them there or if they should be under Unofficial Emulation Projects or perhaps somewhere else.

The View Forum Leaders style is a bug I'm been aware of, I'll see if I can fix it. That style problem is popping up here and there, it shouldn't be difficult to fix.

As far as Mark Forums Read it's useful for guests as well I guess. If they mark all as read and then come back later they wouldn't know which threads had been updated. But yeah, I think it's mostly meant to be seen as a member function.