What's new

Emulation on Cell Phones

Codexing

The Xpaniard
I just thought some people would like to know how far emulation on cell phones has already gone.
As far as I know, the Nokia Series 60 phones (7650, 3650, 3660, 6600, 6620, 6630, 6670, 6680, 7610.... and some others) as well as other Symbian phones like Siemens SX1, have already emulators for the following systems:
  • Gameboy/Gameboy Color (Vboy being the best)
  • Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) (Vnes being the best)
  • SNES (vsun being the best)
  • Sega Game Gear (picodrive)
  • Sega Mega Drive/Genesis (picodrive)
  • Sega Master System (picodrive)
But many will be surprised to learn that GAMEBOY ADVANCE EMULATION has finally been made possible on CELL PHONES. Maybe the speed is not the best yet, but it's a start, don't you think so? You can check it out here:
http://vampent.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=559&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

There's many people who don't know what their phones can do, so I thought this would be interesting for many. Feel free to comment

foogy

thanks for the news on the gba emulator. pretty cool stuff. wish that picodrive would get another update thats for sure, and maybe vsun too.

i didnt know that picodrive could play sms or gg games... ive been using smsplus or sonicboy to play those.

Stezo2k

S-2K
Great news, i've got an S60 phone myself (6670) and it's great for emulation, very nippy so far, especially the vampent emulators

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
ggab said:
can i ask if a nokia 3100 support any emulator?

thks
If your cellphone have simbainOS, then it should be possible to install emus on it and play some roms in good speed, if it doesn't (like my 6230i) then you have to search for Java emus and most of them are buggy and slow!
Hope it helps ggab.

Stezo2k

S-2K
this emu is pretty interesting actually, ok it might be slow, but compatability is high

probably a VBA port

i've heard the s60 cpus are spose to be similar to the GBA cpu, i wonder if full speed could be possible

OP
Codexing

Codexing

The Xpaniard
foogy, you're right. SMSplus is the gamegear/master system emulator
As for the 6670, yes, it is a good phone for the current emulators, but the 6630 is the best one so far (vsun works neat on it). I wish I could have that one, but I'll stick to the 6670 for some time.
The 3100 is a Java only phone, so it won't open ANY emulator. There's one java NES emulator from vampent out there, but not for your phone.
And last, about the GBA emulator VBAG, I believe that it could be sped up a little if Vampent gave it a try. The S60 phones CPU is quite similar to the gba one, as Stezo2k said, but it still would be a hard task to emulate the gba faster.

foogy

this is very exciting. man, i wish vampent would just hault dev on vboy/vnes and focus more on vsun or on vbag...
to be honest i dont really care for sound on the emulators... or even on ngage games, i always just end up turning the sound off.

there isnt too many games that work at a playable speed on vsun, or atleast on my n-gage qd. my contract on my phone ends this december, i plan on getting an even faster s60 phone to play these emulators. isn't nokia supposed to put out an entire line of new s60 phones that have n-gage game support? that's probably the ticket.

reallistic dream phone: camera, clamshell design, symbian os, the ability to play vbag/vsun in full speed.

edit:
oh yeah, id love to see a nice working neogeo pocket emulator or a nice wonderswan emulator too.

Last edited:
OP
Codexing

Codexing

The Xpaniard
foogy, you're asking for way too much for a cell phone...
Vampent will release next the new version of VSun (in less than a month I think they said).
If you're going to get a new phone, the best one out there right now is the Nokia 6630 (in compatibility and performance) but quite soon Nokia will release it's Nseries phones (N90, N80 and N70) and they're supposed to be the best S60 phones out there. But I wouldn't recommend them until somebody tests their compatibility (ngage games might not work well on them, just like Ngage games on the Nokia 6600, 6670, 6630)