What's new

Eek.. my first wreck

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
.. in nearly 3 years of driving (on my own and legally, at least).. was a small one, but enough to shake me up for the night.

I was trying to get over as the lane I was in was about to run out.. I thoroughly looked in my mirrors and made sure all was clear.. well, as I was getting over a white Toyota zooms past and sideswipes me, ruining my fender and rendering my driver's side door inoperable. Got a $270 ticket, though as it's my first wreck, no points were put on my license.

The guy was nice though understandably not happy, and he recognized that crap happens, which was a nice relief. Thankfully we're both insured and when I go to traffic court the ticket should be nullified.

KingVendrSnatch

無感覚
Accidents suck. But at least you made it 3 years. I lasted 2 weeks. Though Im a bad driver.

Anyways, Ive had a few mishaps myself so I get the idea. At least you werent hurt though and thats whats important.

Just live and learn is what I say.

Allnatural

In more than ten years of driving I've avoided all but one "at fault" accident, thankfully. Had a couple mishaps at the hands of others of course. The worst part is that I have yet to find a body shop that does quality work, especially with paint. Your car's just not the same afterwards...

Azimer

Emulator Developer
I haven't had an accident yet. I've had a license for a little over 10 years. I am also a very lucky person when it comes to major things. I have terrible luck on the small things though :(

Oh... and thank god you were okay :) For the future, put your turn signal on about 3-5 seconds before you make your move. This will alert other drivers of your intention. If they continue to do what they are doing, refuse to admit fault. You should do be doing that any way. Cops are asses and feel someone needs a ticket regardless. I hate cops for this reason. They treat everyone like a criminal... as if the accident wasn't enough!

Last edited:

Toasty

Sony battery
I got in my first accident about a month ago. Was backing out of a friend's driveway, it was snowing and didn't see a white truck parked across the street. Crunched up my tail light and scuffed up the bumper, not to mention a large dent in the truck's door. $1200 (not too bad considering, but still...) down the tube for a few inches of innocent oversight. :( Makes you feel like crap, but it happens to the best of us.

revl8er

That Damn Good
Wow, I dont remember how long I went. I would say around 2 years before getting hit by a deer in the side of my first car. Then I got hit by a guy in a parking lot, then I got hit by a 1991 ford ranger which totalled my first car which was a 1997 Mustang convertable. I then got a 2003 Dodge Neon and it got totalled in like 7 days. I now have a 2004 Mustang and haven't had anything yet so I'm just watching out now. The first wreck is always the worst of them all because it scares the living hell out of you.

OP
C

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Azimer said:
I haven't had an accident yet. I've had a license for a little over 10 years. I am also a very lucky person when it comes to major things. I have terrible luck on the small things though :(

Oh... and thank god you were okay :) For the future, put your turn signal on about 3-5 seconds before you make your move. This will alert other drivers of your intention. If they continue to do what they are doing, refuse to admit fault. You should do be doing that any way. Cops are asses and feel someone needs a ticket regardless. I hate cops for this reason. They treat everyone like a criminal... as if the accident wasn't enough!

Yeah, for sure. Although I got a hefty ticket the cop that came to the scene wasn't an ass at all, which suprised me.

Thanks all for the advice and sentiments, it means a lot. :)

Last edited:

WhiteX

Glad to know that you´re OK, man!

By the way, i never drove a car or bike in my life, i have no license! :p

BoggyB

A friend of mine got rear-ended while taking driving lessons. He stopped at a red light (as you're meant to do), and the guy behind didn't stop soon enough. It wasn't much of a bump, but the instructor was not impressed by the idiot behind.

Azimer

Emulator Developer
BoggyB said:
A friend of mine got rear-ended while taking driving lessons. He stopped at a red light (as you're meant to do), and the guy behind didn't stop soon enough. It wasn't much of a bump, but the instructor was not impressed by the idiot behind.

lol... this reminds me of when I took my first exam! I was waiting at a stop light to turn left. I was extremely nervous about the exam. I took a left when the light turned green completely ignoring the oncoming car. We both throw on our breaks and it was very nonconfrontational. I made the examiner piss his pants though.... the prick.

Later on, after he tried to continue the test I already failed automatically, I overheard someone else was failing their exam. I looked over and it was the girl in the truck that almost hit me! I couldn't help but laugh out loud and she glared at me. It was the funniest driving incident I've had in my life. :)

The shameful part of the story is how much I don't feel bad I caused her to fail. It was just too ironic my near accident caused her to fail too. hahaha... I am still laughing...

Alchemist

I got pulled over Saturday night because a cop thought I was DUI.

lol. I'm 17!

I was going about 15 over the limit, but he didn't mention that. Anyhow, he made me get out and take a sobriety test. When he asked me my name I felt like giving him some BS like the V speech from Vendetta. Eventually, he searched my car and didn't find anything.

At the end he said "My partner thought he saw you dip over the line a couple of times, so just drive safely, ok?"

Waste of my time.

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
I made it about six months when i got my liscence. I was reaching for my phone, and then looked up and realized i wasnt taking a turn too well. Swerved and hit a sign post. Wrecked the back driver panel on my mom's grand am. Thankfully no one was hurt, and i paid out of pocket, no insurance hit.

The only other thing i've ever done was being late and speedy happy. 191 dollar ticket, 94 in the 65 MPH zone. 5 points on my liscence. Still working those off.

ChaosCode

ok well here it goes.

I drive fast 100+ all the time and guess what. never been in any type of wreck and here is the key. Always assume the other drivers are trying to hit you. ALWAYS and I meen always leave 6 cars lengths infront of the other person. if someone gets in that lane increase the distance to six car lengths. I have 3 speeding tickets and zero crashes in 15 years of driving. My family ask me how I do it and I always say "Becuase I assume the people driving on the road are fucking crazy and I avoid them at all cost."

Flash

Technomage
ChaosCode said:
ok well here it goes.

I drive fast 100+ all the time and guess what. never been in any type of wreck and here is the key.
And what if something goes wrong with your car ? It's mechanics, it can break even if it's new, you know...

smcd

Alchemist said:
I got pulled over Saturday night because a cop thought I was DUI.

lol. I'm 17!

I was going about 15 over the limit, but he didn't mention that. Anyhow, he made me get out and take a sobriety test. When he asked me my name I felt like giving him some BS like the V speech from Vendetta. Eventually, he searched my car and didn't find anything.

At the end he said "My partner thought he saw you dip over the line a couple of times, so just drive safely, ok?"

Waste of my time.

You're 17... what, underage kids never drink and drive? :p I'd rather 1 false positive than 1 false negative. Sure, it is frustrating but it could potentially save a life.

Alchemist

sethmcdoogle said:
You're 17... what, underage kids never drink and drive? :p I'd rather 1 false positive than 1 false negative. Sure, it is frustrating but it could potentially save a life.

true. I also think it was prom night for a couple of local schools.

ChaosCode

Flash said:
And what if something goes wrong with your car ? It's mechanics, it can break even if it's new, you know...

the differnt between 70 and 100 isnt going to be much if you hit a tree. 70 being the speed limite and 100 being how fast everyone goes. if you crash your screwed anyways.

smcd

Your odds of avoiding a crash are better if you have more time to react, which going at slower speeds you do if only for the reason that you stop in a shorter distance and less time.

revl8er

That Damn Good
I dont know about you guys, but after I totalled my first car I have always been wearing my seatbelt. I always keep my speed at 60 or under and I always leave at least 2 car lengths distance from the car in front of me.

OP
C

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Putting on my seatbelt has always been the first thing I do when I get in my car (well, partially.. I'm reminded because the chest belt is automatic :p). Wouldn't drive without it.