What's new

Dumpable Sound?

Enzo Dragon

STFU, NAVI
Alright, getting a little ambitious with this one.

We know that we can dump textures from a ROM, and even inject hi-rez images into the game.

We also know that we can dump 3D models from a ROM, but (as far as I know), no one can figure out how to inject them back into the game.

Would it be incredibly difficult, then, to dump the sound files from the ROM, alter them, or even introduce entirely different soundfiles and inject THOSE back into the game?

I see the applications immense. Take a fully instrumental track from a game's published soundtrack and replace it with the MIDI, for example. Partner that with high-rez textures...

No doubt this has been suggested before, but I couldn't find a thread specifically about it.

Is it possible?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
You can dump music but not inject them back in. And why would someone in their right mind try to inject MIDI files into a game? That would be horrible. I don't know about sound effects, but I'd say that you can't. At least not very easily.

USF Central

Although I'll say just now that you'll save yourself a lot of hassle if you just download the USF sets other people alredy makde than start dumping your own.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Theorectically it IS possible to put 'em back, at least if they're exactly the same size and right format. Can't say how the sound code would react to it.
It is also theoretically possible to inject bigger or smaller sound into the rom, if you move and modify the code and pointers which is not an easy task.

OP
Enzo Dragon

Enzo Dragon

STFU, NAVI
You can dump music but not inject them back in. And why would someone in their right mind try to inject MIDI files into a game? That would be horrible. I don't know about sound effects, but I'd say that you can't. At least not very easily.

USF Central

Although I'll say just now that you'll save yourself a lot of hassle if you just download the USF sets other people alredy makde than start dumping your own.
I was refering to the midi files already present in the game, assuming that the N64 uses a hi-fidelity midi orchestra for it's music. I could be mistaken, of course. =/

I'm talking about replacing the game's midis/whatever with MP3's or the like.

Theorectically it IS possible to put 'em back, at least if they're exactly the same size and right format. Can't say how the sound code would react to it.
It is also theoretically possible to inject bigger or smaller sound into the rom, if you move and modify the code and pointers which is not an easy task.
For what I'm suggesting, you'd definately need to know where all of the pointers are.

Does this mean such an injector would have to be ROM specific? =/

Last edited by a moderator:

Doomulation

I'm talking about replacing the game's midis/whatever with MP3's or the like.

You have your answer there. Theoretically it is possible, but very hard. AFAIK the N64 did not have any dedicated hardware of software for sound, so games were responsible for handling that themselves. Due to lack of space, I would presume many games use MIDI and some sort of compression.
There is no plugin, however, like GFX hi-res textures that can replace or play back different music / sound effects for the game.

Last edited:
OP
Enzo Dragon

Enzo Dragon

STFU, NAVI
You have your answer there. Theoretically it is possible, but very hard. AFAIK the N64 did not have any dedicated hardware of software for sound, so games were responsible for handling that themselves. Due to lack of space, I would presume many games use MIDI and some sort of compression.
There is no plugin, however, like GFX hi-res textures that can replace or play back different music / sound effects for the game.
If the N64 didn't have any dedicated sound software, it must be a pain in the ass to write a plugin that can handle all of the different aproaches each game takes.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Pain in the ass or not, there is a plugin. It works quite well too, to my understanding.

OP
Enzo Dragon

Enzo Dragon

STFU, NAVI
Pain in the ass or not, there is a plugin. It works quite well too, to my understanding.
Of course! It's just something to marvel at, that's all. Considering that factor, it doubles my appreciation for the programmers out there that bothered to write the plugins we're using.

Doomulation

If the game code does the sound, then basically emulating that code you could easily grab the audio / music. But writing an audio plugin isn't that easy either...