What's new

Dual Boot PC´s

Matata

Novato Experimentado
Here in this forum I´ve seen a lot of people with two OSs (or even three) in one PC but I want to know what´s good about it, I mean, what´s the purpose of having two OS in one PC? Pros and Cons?

blight

i.e. if you like linux but still need windows for some games dual-booting is good.
the contrary is that you have to shut down one and boot the other all the time when switching which takes time...

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Depends on what distro you're talking about. Mandrake and Redhat are very easy to install, where as LFS (Linux from Scratch) is complex.

Eagle

aka Alshain
I'm a computer programming senior. I write software that has to be tested on at least one distro of Linux and both kernels of Windows. So naturally I have 3 operating systems.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Matata said:
Whoa men!, three OS, now that´s somthing! :)

Not really, I have 3 hard drives. But the win98 drive is only 2 gigs so I cant put much more than the OS itself on it.

OP
Matata

Matata

Novato Experimentado
I have two HD: my main one (30 GB) with Win XP and an old one (5 GB i think) with Win 98, but I don´t use the old one, it´s from another PC and I use it to exchange some movies with a friend (it´s cheaper than buying a CD and I can carry more movies).

mesman00

What's that...?
Eagle said:
Now they have mini removable hard drives that are the size of a pez dispenser and plug directly into your USB port. They are kinda sweet too when you are a student and need to transport data to a lab or something. They arent 5 gigs but WinXP has all the drivers for them already. I enjoy mine but wish I had gotten the 512meg instead of the 256meg.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1055388009930&skuId=5553386&type=product

i'd lose one of those things so fast.

Kaoss626

If the mini drives are too small in capacity or just too small physicly (thus easy to loose), just buy a USB hard drive encloseure and toss in a old hard drive. Very portable and keeps the hard drive safe from dust and minor bangs. Don't drop it though. Also don't expect major speed. for USB 1.0 it reads and writes equivalent to a 4x cdrom. For USB 2.0 though, much faster.