What's new

Driver compiled against another version of the kernel...

zorbid

For commercial reasons, Alcatel, who builds PCI ADSL modems based on the Itex chips ( http://www.itexinc.com ), refuses to provide a Linux driver. And Itex, who has the drivers, refuses to ship these, pretending that they can only give them to the boards makers, if the latters want to. They don't give support to individuals.

Whatever... :plain:

Some binary drivers, compiled against the 2.4.16 kernel have been leaked, and I'd like to know if I'll be able to install them in Mangrake 9.0, which is based on the 2.4.19 kernel.

There is also an older version that supports kernels 2.4.x (x=0..10 in the docs). I was wondering if this version could not be adapted to the latest kernels too...

I'm a brand newbie to Linux, I haven't even installed Mandrake (I've been playing a bit with the mini distro called Linux for Win9x, but that's all). Any help is welcome.

Slougi

You can forcefully insert modules using "insmod -f <module>". However, for linux binary drivers a kernel interface is usually needed, which is compiled on the client machine, so this might not even be necessary.

OP
zorbid

zorbid

Now I have Mandrake 9.0 installed :)

I've read the doc that comes with the drivers, it appears that I must patch the kernel... <g>

:cry: I'n not ready for this yet :cry: (kidding, if I have to, I'll learn how to, but I don't have the time right now).

Another thing: how do I change the default OS for the boot loader (I think that Mandrake uses LILO with a custom GUI). I don't have much time to read the doc right now, and I'm not the only one to use the computer... The default OS is currently Linux, I'd like WinXP instead. I know that I have to edit a text file, but I don't know where to find it, and I don't want to remove LILO atm (fdisk/mbr).

Gaenya

Its been a while since i used lilo, but i think that the file you need to edit is /etc/lilo.conf, and after you edit it run lilo or the system wont boot (happened to me a couple of times:D).

OP
zorbid

zorbid

Thanks, I had found /etc/lilo.conf, but no changes were applied, sice I didn't run lilo (it sounds like they improved the n000b proof support :D).