What's new

DOOM 3, Half-Life 2: GameCube abscence!

Zoomer

Does anybody know why Half-Life 2 and DOOM3 are not to be released on the GameCube??
Potentially 2 of the greatest shooters ever made, and Nintendo doesn't have them on their future lineup. Very unfortunate for Nintendo fans, if you ask me.
My PC is going to struggle running D3,HL2 so I am considering purchasing an XBOX - something I would have never considered before these games. Plus Halo 2 is another big one that is obviously only available on the MSBOX.
4 controllers, D3, Half-Life2, and Halo 2. That could keep a group of friends going fer DAYs! (not even considering the fact that you could network the Xbox'ses and play with 16 people). I hate XBOX!

Gorxon

Administrator
If you think that the Xbox versions will look anywhere like the PC versions can do,you're gonna be dissappointed. Besides, I wouldn't touch HL2 or Doom3 with a controller. It's meant for keyboard and mouse...

About them not coming to the Cube...well, it is much easier to port from PC to Xbox than from PC to the GC. That will change with the Xbox 2 though, unless MS has something very brilliant up their sleeve (meaning Win API and DirectX for powerpc cpu). But I dont even think they are gonna use windows as base for their next console.

Stezo2k

S-2K
Gorxon said:
If you think that the Xbox versions will look anywhere like the PC versions can do,you're gonna be dissappointed.

actually, after owning the chronicles of riddick, graphics like doom 3's are possible on the xbox, i've downloaded the alpha of doom 3, and the graphics are just as good

smegforbrain

Nintendo needs to shake off the image of being nothing more than a kid-friendly system before they are worthy of a title like Doom 3. :)

FAR

First Person Shooter
JC told in the very early phase of the development of Doom III that consoles, other than XBOX, are not capable of running it. In fact, the XBOX version is resulting in some graphical compromises. The same goes to HL2, I suppose.

Last edited:

Gorxon

Administrator
Stezo2k said:
actually, after owning the chronicles of riddick, graphics like doom 3's are possible on the xbox, i've downloaded the alpha of doom 3, and the graphics are just as good

I am sure it will look good, but if they run Xbox graphics on the PC version I for certain wont play the game. A modern PC is so much more powerful than the Xbox so not using that power is just foolish. Perhaps I am just expecting too much tho...

OP
Zoomer

Zoomer

FAR likley has the answer- the GC isn't as powerfull, or as much of a PC, than the XBOX. Therefore the developers haven't wasted their time making GC versions.
GC still has great games, and new games like Metroid Prime 2(4 player) and the new Zelda should make up for the HL2, D3 abscence.

FAR said:
Quote:
In fact, the XBOX version is resulting in some graphical compromises.

The Khan Artist
Understatement of the century. Plus, the physics in HL2 are likely to be horrible.

Khan, did you purposley make a new understatement of the century, presuming that the physics in HL2 are going to be horrible?
www.gametrailers.com
Please download "Traptown" and "Barricade" HL2 videos. You will never say "HL2 physics suck" again.

Clements

Doom 3 and Half Life 2 should be played on a PC. Far better image quality possible for one and option to play keyboard and mouse for two. I can't think of other reasons right now because I'm lazy! The GC isn't really missing anying in not getting a port. All the games I own for my GameCube are all exclusive 'only for GC' games and no ports.

-Shadow-

Banned
Grrr... Consoles aren't really meant to play shooters with :p Have you ever played Halo on XBOX ?! The handling is so awful and slow , espacially if you played ego-shooters on PC since you are 12 , like me :D

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
Zoomer said:
Please download "Traptown" and "Barricade" HL2 videos. You will never say "HL2 physics suck" again.

Whoa, there. I meant they are likely to suck on the X-Box. There is NO WAY they could get reasonable graphics AND the physics shown in the PC trailers running on the X-Box.

Stezo2k

S-2K
Gorxon said:
I am sure it will look good, but if they run Xbox graphics on the PC version I for certain wont play the game. A modern PC is so much more powerful than the Xbox so not using that power is just foolish. Perhaps I am just expecting too much tho...

Don't forget, though the hardware is almost the same as a PC, the games for it work differently. For a start, there is no bloated OS hogging up the xbox's CPU power and RAM, and secondly, the games are optimised for the system itself, games for PCs these days mainly aint optimized and are much more bloated than the console ports

I've seen screenshots of the xbox port of doom 3, and it looks nearly as good as the PC version, i doubt they'll be much difference, i'm sure it'll still impress, the graphics in the chronicles of riddick is a good example of this, the screenshots don't do the game justice

sheik124

Emutalk Member
don't we all, of course, this would be nothing without AMDs new "Intel Sucks the FX-53 owns in price and performance" technology :D, AMD ALL THE WAY!

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Gorxon said:
That will change with the Xbox 2 though, unless MS has something very brilliant up their sleeve (meaning Win API and DirectX for powerpc cpu).

They have something better. It's called XNA.

http://www.microsoft.com/xna/

Basically, if any games developer wants to write a game for PC or Xbox (1 or 2), they can quickly, easily, and cheaply port the game to the other platform later on down. Not so with other consoles, which also gives games developers an advantage for writing Xbox games instead of Cube/PSX games, because they can also reach the PC audience at very little cost.

Last edited:

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
The question, then, is: will Microsoft port XNA to Mac OS X and Linux, and will they release it under the L/GPL? I bet not.

CY:G

HL2 and D3 and meant to be played in PC, anyone saying that it looks near as good as the PC version is either high on drugs or is a complete idiot, you are trying to tell me that those games will look good on a Geforce 3 and a crappy pentium, thats just the power, now lets talk about image quality, even if you own a super expensive high end HDTV the max resolution you can get is 1080i, thats if those games come with HD support, now compare that to those game running at 1600*1200 on a 21' monitor, there is NO POSSIBLE WAY IN COMPARING this 2 versions, on top of that, HOW THA FUCK ARE YOU GOING TO PLAY THIS GAMES WITH A FREAKING CONTROLLER!!!!, thats with the "Powerfull Xbox", now lets talk about gamecube... :huh:

CrazyYatta

smegforbrain said:
Nintendo needs to shake off the image of being nothing more than a kid-friendly system before they are worthy of a title like Doom 3. :)

Whoa, i can't belive someone let this slip through the cracks. I can HARDLY belive that that is what nintendo is thinking. They have alot of games that aren't Kid friendly. They just released serious sam a while ago on, it, and they have other games like Resident Evil and Eternal Darkness.

Has anyone thought that maybe it could be the capacity of the GC disc thats in the way of this? I mean, 1.4 or so gigs, vs what, 4+ gigs? I dont think they could do as much as they would with other systems. And even if they could pull it off, i dont think the GFX would be as impressive. It'd probably move the audience to the other systems, and they'd be out alot of money.

CY:G said:
HL2 and D3 and meant to be played in PC, anyone saying that it looks near as good as the PC version is either high on drugs or is a complete idiot, you are trying to tell me that those games will look good on a Geforce 3 and a crappy pentium, thats just the power, now lets talk about image quality, even if you own a super expensive high end HDTV the max resolution you can get is 1080i, thats if those games come with HD support, now compare that to those game running at 1600*1200 on a 21' monitor, there is NO POSSIBLE WAY IN COMPARING this 2 versions, on top of that, HOW THA FUCK ARE YOU GOING TO PLAY THIS GAMES WITH A FREAKING CONTROLLER!!!!, thats with the "Powerfull Xbox", now lets talk about gamecube... :huh:

Thats the thing. The purpose for them to put it on a console is to reach the audience that either cant afford that stuff, or dont feel like going through the expense of buying all that crap. All u need is one of those consoles that these games are gonna be on (Which are dirt cheap now), and the game, which will most likely be $50. Where as, to get the experience ur talkin about, u need fork out some big wads of cash imo. And as for the people who dont know a lick of what their buying, thats not a good idea. Probably end up being ripped in buying some old Alienware, thinkin that since the case is so badass, the system must be to. Anyways, in the end, the cube is done for. It'll most likely go the way of the DC (seems to be that way). Of course, like someone noted earlier, it does have its games. I SAY, if their not gonna make online games anymore, make more freakin LAN GAMES! Metroid Prime 2 better be LAN enabled, or else nintendo really is as dumb as theyve been acting recently. I WANT SOME BBA ACTION!!! But i just dont think those games were meant to be on the GC. I wouldnt buy em. I'd get em for Xbox =P.

BTW, i like ur avatar CY:G. i see u diddle daddle with Photoshop. Don't u hate how stokes end up being rounded around corners? Annoying. U think they would have gotten that option in even with CS, but noooo. anyways, im getting off topic.

Last edited: