What's new

"DON'T BUY A GAME" week;)

Azimer

Emulator Developer
I don't buy games. At times I pirate a game, play it for 2-3 days and delete it. Those games, imo, are not worth pirating and not work buying. Some games (like Mario64 suprisingly), I pirate and I then purchase after I find it to be a fun game. I am really in to the play before you pay idea. I am a big supporter of shareware. I feel the concept has lost its support recently, probably because of the piracy rate. Back in the day, the shareware product would be nothing more then an early beta of the retail product and would come out quite a bit before the retail version was released. This is no longer the case and I think it's a shame. Shareware is the way to go. btw, I am not a fan of crippleware (such as Bleem was). Shareware differs from crippleware in the fact that shareware is full featured except you can only get to a certain part of the game or not be able to use a set of non-essential (but needed) features and usually had some time wait or banner displayed to remind you to purchase. Rather crippleware allows you to use very few essential features which would ruin your ability to tell if the product was worth a purchase.

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
hehe, even though i started this thread, i don't even buy games either;)

/me looks back at his newsgroups

ah, going to get my dvd-burner this coming christmas!:happy:

RatTrap

GODLIKE
I totally agree with Azi.. shareware is a good thing.. why it's been cut back though i don't really know.. well it is a costly process in itself.. it's like any release.. you'll have to make some finishing touches and make sure it's somewhat playable.. or else the shareware demo version won't be any good.. since you'll download a 200 MB share ware version and won't be able to use it..

companies have been cutting prices.. not much for Consoles but for the PC.. you have to agree that games are cheaper now.. they used to be much more.. i remember when Console games and PC games cost the same.. now PC games are cost around 70-80% the same cost of a console game.. at least that's how it's been going here in sweden.. PC games are getting very cheap.. one of the big reasons (and why i still am babbling bout this).. is that companies have cut down on the "pre-released" versions.. since that whole process also costs alot of money..

most companies are doing the Beta thing though.. sending out betas to a few chosen ppl.. but that is not the same.. because these versions are sent out when the game is almost fully completed.. the shareware versions are like azi said usually sent out way b4 the game is close to launch..

about buying games when they are cheap.. i see no problem with that what so ever.. and i'm pretty sure nobody was talking about that in here..

and of course.. if you don't like a game.. don't buy it.. it's simple.. the problems are when ppl expect games to come out as new at $20.. i find that to be just wrong.. and that is what this whole "don't buy a game week"-thing is about..

Olger901

Banned
I will NEVER buy a game for 55 to 60 bucks thats what they cost here. I will never buy a game at that price. If they want me to buy a game make the Prices of games between $20 and $25 and Ill go and buy