What's new

Donkey Kong Barrel Blast

straight

Is the Barrel Blast Mini-Game fixed in Donkey Kong 64 with the new release of 1964? I'm playing through it for the first time and wasn't able to get the mini-game to work, but was unsure if it was a bug or just my lack of skillz.

I searched the forums and it looks like some people have been able to get the mini-game to work by upping the Counter-Factor. Is that still the best option, or are there other work-arounds? Or do I just need more practice?

OP
straight

straight

Never mind. I figured it out.

In case anyone else is interested. When playing the barrel blast mini-games, the distance Kong flies seems to depend on what the Counter Factor is (and maybe your computer speed?). I had to experiment with different settings, some shots I needed to have it on CF=7, some on CF=5, some on CF=3, but eventually (saving state after each success helps!) I was able to navigate the first three courses and I assume it will work for all the rest.

I also had a real hard time beating Tiny Kong's race down the slide, and I'm guessing if I try it again with a different CF it might work better.

Would this be worth adding to the DKong section of the FAQ?

ggab

Emutalk Member
u are right, the issue of the CF change (also affects the distance of jumping in field levels, try it!).
For me, in the barrels blast I press CTRL+8, so this level can be played very well only with this change.