What's new

Dolphin Development Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

tehdarkknight

StepMania Addict
I've seen / heard various rumors that Dolphin is temporarily done with development and/or development is very slow. ( :down: ) Are there any plans to go open source? (I'm not requesting code, though ;) ) Can someone prove / debunk these rumors for me?

ector

Emulator Developer
Might as well spell it out:

* Nobody is working full-time on Dolphin or anywhere close to that.
* Sometimes (not very often) one of us is bored or gets a burst of inspiration or whatever and adds a new feature or fixes something
* The source might be released sometime in the future but it will be almost completely useless to most people outside the core dev team who already are familiar with it because very few have the knowledge AND skills AND patience necessary to understand the code and then contribute something substantial. You can't just jump in, it's a very complex piece of software.

OP
tehdarkknight

tehdarkknight

StepMania Addict
I don't doubt one bit that it's as complex as you say; it's an amazing thing you guys have accomplished. :cool: If you don't mind my asking, what language / software is Dolphin developed and compiled with?

raksmey1309

Might as well spell it out:

* Nobody is working full-time on Dolphin or anywhere close to that.
* Sometimes (not very often) one of us is bored or gets a burst of inspiration or whatever and adds a new feature or fixes something
* The source might be released sometime in the future but it will be almost completely useless to most people outside the core dev team who already are familiar with it because very few have the knowledge AND skills AND patience necessary to understand the code and then contribute something substantial. You can't just jump in, it's a very complex piece of software.
Thank U for u magic words.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
tehdarkknight said:
I don't doubt one bit that it's as complex as you say; it's an amazing thing you guys have accomplished. :cool: If you don't mind my asking, what language / software is Dolphin developed and compiled with?
Well, I would imagine C, since that's what almonst all emulators are made in. But as for the software, there are many C compilers and IDEs out there.

spotanjo3

One thing I can tell you is that they are still working on this dolphin development but it is going to be slow anyway. According to CKEMU, it is still alive and kicking. :)

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Rockmangames said:
One thing I can tell you is that they are still working on this dolphin development but it is going to be slow anyway. According to CKEMU, it is still alive and kicking. :)
Hey, ector is a dev and all what he says is the true and not what CKEMU says.
CKEMU is a beta tester and he's still working on updating the ini, but nothing more is done... that's sad, but that's it!

CKemu

By saying it's 'alive and kicking', I mean it's not dead. eg: it's still being worked on, even if that is just once a month, if they can be bothered, which is pretty much what ector had to say on the subject.

So lets not get preechy folks, MasterPhW that includes you ;) Because there have been other things done besides the ini, so how about you all enjoy 1.03 for now :p

Falcon4ever

Plugin coder / Betatester
Doomulation said:
Well, I would imagine C, since that's what almonst all emulators are made in. But as for the software, there are many C compilers and IDEs out there.
If you guys ever bothered to read the readme you would have know it was C++

Straight from the readme:
The Dolphin Information
===========================================================
Dolphin was written in C++, compiled with Microsoft Visual
Studio .NET 2003. It's not a .NET application of course.
Dolphin uses Direct3D for the graphics, DirectSound for
sound and DirectInput for keyboard.
For the graphical interface plain Win32 code was used.

OP
tehdarkknight

tehdarkknight

StepMania Addict
Thank you all for your input. I hope to see more of Dolphin in the future, but for now I'll enjoy 1.0.3 :happy:

ector

Emulator Developer
It's written in C++, the released versions are compiled with VS2003, future versions will be compiled with VS2005.

OP
tehdarkknight

tehdarkknight

StepMania Addict
Well, not quite satisfied. :blush:
I was just wondering what type of CPU optimizations it takes advantage of...
(MMX, SSE, SSE2, etc.)
Also, I noticed my dolphin only takes up 50 to 70 percent of my CPU at most...
Is it a thread issue when played on a machine with Hyper Threading?
I wouldn't mind if it took up 100% of my CPU. :p

raksmey1309

Original Post By ector.
If you are running your P4 in hyperthreading mode, you will only see 50% usage since Dolphin only uses one virtual "core". Dolphin gobbles up as much single-threaded CPU performance as it can get, so with no hyperthreading or multiple cpus you should see 100% usage.

OP
tehdarkknight

tehdarkknight

StepMania Addict
Thanks for digging that up for me, now its time to reboot without HT and see what kind of FPS boost i get. Curiosity satisfied again (for now) ;)

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
You will gain nothing at all. When you have HT enabled Windows treats it like two CPUs and shows usage for each according to how Windows is allocating threads to them and how many resources are allocated to those threads (not how the threads and resources are running on the CPU). You should also notice that the idle process always takes up the remaining CPU power from what's currently being used. It doesn't mean the OS is using up 100% of the CPU's power all the time, it's just where those resources are allocated. In short, how Windows uses the CPU(s) and how it reports usage doesn't directly correlate with how much of the CPU's power is being used.

As it stands, Dolphin absolutely adores the Netburst architecture.. so much that, in it, my CPU significantly outperforms an Athlon 64 X2 4400+ @ 2.7GHz.

Last edited:

ector

Emulator Developer
cooliscool, I'm surprised by that, as my athlon 1800xp+ ran circles around a similarly speced P4 with Dolphin back in the day...

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Falcon4ever said:
If you guys ever bothered to read the readme you would have know it was C++

Straight from the readme:
The Dolphin Information
===========================================================
Dolphin was written in C++, compiled with Microsoft Visual
Studio .NET 2003. It's not a .NET application of course.
Dolphin uses Direct3D for the graphics, DirectSound for
sound and DirectInput for keyboard.
For the graphical interface plain Win32 code was used.
When I typed "C," I meant C/C++, because emulators tend to be written in both. And for that matter, I haven't read the readme because I haven't downloaded this emulator because I have no need for an emulator because I have the real thing.
But dolphin is an amazing piece of software even so, so don't get me wrong! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.