What's new

DK64 Fix

thegamefreak013

Apparently, setting the counter factor to 1 has many good effects on the game. I get little to no polygons sticking out ad odd times, the camera never goes funky around stuff, the level does not restart, and the game just generally runs better. I recommend putting this as a possible solution in the FAQ, as it took me a lot of testing to figure out. (BTW, can't remember if I posted this already, sorry if I did.)

-gamefreak

Smiff

Emutalk Member
i think there was some reason we don't supply it on CF1. can't remember what though.
found any problems running DK64 on CF1? (this also goes to anyone)
thanks for posting

CF2

Pretends to make sense
Just started running DK64 with CF1 after seeing this post. I played for about an hour, and everything seems much more stable. The polygon issue remains, but it is reduced significantly. No more camera or level restart issue, both of which I experienced on CF4. Completely stable.

Poobah

squall_leonhart said:
wierd all my counterfactors are 2...
This phenomenon is usually referred to as defaulting. In this case, defaulting the counter factors to 2-3 for most games saves us the worry of having many new users complaining about slow speeds.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
lol, i disable the ini and have all games use defaults that i set, only 1 or 2 of them need individual settings.

my forced defaults are

cpu core style - recompiler
self-mod code method - check memory advance
default memory size - 8mb
advanced block linking = off.

and i see no problems with any games

Smiff

Emutalk Member
squall_leonhart said:
lol, i disable the ini and have all games use defaults that i set, only 1 or 2 of them need individual settings.

my forced defaults are

cpu core style - recompiler
self-mod code method - check memory advance
default memory size - 8mb
advanced block linking = off.

and i see no problems with any games

not using the rdb settings is a very very bad idea for most users. (see the changelog for all the rdb fixes since 1.6, plus before, you want every user to do all this by hand?) it's months of work and feedback from many users. using the same settings for all games will work for some games but will cause all sorts of problems for many. i wish the emulator did not need the rdb, but it does to have the full compatibility we claim and that it is capable of. of course, just occasionally an rdb setting may be worse than a default but by far they are better. also, some settings can only be set through the file... like CF.

Last edited:

Poobah

It's just a bit inefficient. For example, most games don't utilise the 8MB expansion pack, which slows down the emulation a little.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
no it's not just inefficient. every game that needs a different self-mod code method, and the games that need a save type set, and the games that don't work with register caching, just three big examples: they will fail.
if you think those defaults always work you've clearly not played many games or tested them far.
look, i don't defend the rdb system just because i've worked on it. most emulators don't have one (that goes this far) - it's hacky and nasty and a big eater of time - but sadly it's always been necessary for us and the options are *growing* with each pj64 release.

i'm more interested in any more feedback for DK64 on CF1? otherwise i'm tempted to bang it out in the next update and see what breaks - which is not a great way of doing things.

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

ok well firstly Smiff :) the save states don't have a section to set defaults for, ;) which you should know, so they always use the save states assigned to them.

the only settings that are defaulted are the ones i listed, and i have no problems with them.

i've tested plenty of games, from varying developers, and the only ones i do have problems with is the ones that the emulators says will have problems.

heres a list of games i have at the moment,.. i've had about 200, i've just not put them on since i reinstalled

Banjo-Tooie.v64
Blast Corps (U) (V1.0) [!].v64
Blast Corps.v64
Castlevania - Legacy of Darkness .v64
Castlevania.v64
Conker's Bad Fur Day.v64
Destruction Derby 64 .v64
Diddy Kong Racing.v64
Donkey Kong 64 .v64
Dr. Mario 64 .v64
Duke Nukem - ZER0 H0UR .v64
Earthworm Jim 3D .v64
Gex 3 - Deep Cover Gecko .v64
Gex 64 - Enter the Gecko .v64
Glover .v64
GoldenEye 007.v64
Harvest Moon 64.v64
Hercules - The Legendary Journeys .v64
Hey You, Pikachu!.v64
Jet Force Gemini.v64
Kirby 64 - The Crystal Shards.v64
Legend of Zelda, The - Majora's Mask.v64
Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time - Master Quest.v64
Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time.v64
Mario Kart 64.v64
Mario Party 3.v64
Mega Man 64.v64
Neon Genesis Evangelion.v64
Nightmare Creatures.v64
Perfect Dark.v64
Pokemon Snap.v64
Pokemon Stadium 2.v64
Snowboard Kids .v64
Snowboard Kids 2 .v64
Star Fox 64.v64
Star Wars - Rogue Squadron.v64
Star Wars Episode I - Battle for Naboo .v64
Super Mario 64.v64
Super Smash Bros.v64
Superman.v64
Transformers - Beast Wars Transmetal .v64
Xena Warrior Princess - Talisman of Fate.v64

several of them are set to protect, or cache, in the RDB, one of them (diddy kong racing) doesn't have any setting apparently.

all of these work 100% on Check memory advance.

only one in that list that has noticeble problems is Neon genesis, but i beleive its a known bug... happens around the end.

of course the 2 starwars games, are busted ;) waiting for PJ641.7 to fix them.

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

Smiff said:
i'm more interested in any more feedback for DK64 on CF1? otherwise i'm tempted to bang it out in the next update and see what breaks - which is not a great way of doing things.

from what i can see, it makes no big difference for me from CF2.

Clements

CF1 is working better for me in combination with sync game to audio. The polygon issue is cut right down. No camera problems either.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Clements said:
CF1 is working better for me in combination with sync game to audio. The polygon issue is cut right down. No camera problems either.

thanks. it's better than CF2 without SyncGtoA aswell?

Clements

Here's quick comparison of those options, tested by circling DK Isles:

CF2: Stuttering, polygon issue frequent.
CF2 + Sync audio: Stuttering, polygon issue much less frequent.
CF1: No stuttering, smooth, polygon issue less frequent.
CF1 + Sync audio: No stuttering, smooth, polygon issue much less frequent.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
thanks, Clements you the man. of course, it needs more testing than that but you've done more than me :D
i have no idea why this isnt on CF1, searched, can't find any reference. i think for 1.6 release it was totally cocked up, regions were still on 4? from before zilmar fixed the timing.

Last edited:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I don't know how but 1964 doesn't have the polygons sticking out at all, it has far worse timing but no geometry problems.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
well i'll put this (all regions) on CF1 for next rdb unless anyone says otherwise here.